Couch tour of Europe

barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I'm planning to go to Europe in the fall Sept-???, and I want to do it on the cheap. I got a few friends that I can stay with spread out around the continent, but I would like some advice from anyone in the know about: -What to bring/not to bring-Using Couchsurfing.org or similar services to set up locations where they don't know anyone. -The best way to travel on the cheap between countries (hitchhiking, ridesharing, train, bus, etc.). -Eating good/decent for cheap-Temporary workI plan on seeing Italy (couch lined up in Venice), France, Spain(couch lined up in Barcelona), Czech Rep(couch lined up in Prague), and hopefully Germany, too. Of course, the duration of the trip is totally dependent on how much cash I can save between now and then, and how cheaply I can move around and eat.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    you can buy a euro train ticket that lets you ride for the low

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/prices/europe/interrail.shtml

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    interrail all day son.

i know a guiy who used couchsurfing.whatever and was constantly getting laid by hot young euro girlies, then again he was a hot young euro dude so draw your own conclusions.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Thanks, I'm definitely looking at Rail Pass-type options.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    There actually a lot of cool stuff to do in Europe. I wouldn't limit yourself to just touring the historic couches.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    When in germany you can find countless options for shared rides on this website:

www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de

Serves for national and even international long and short distance trips. Almost everyone I know travels this way because german railways are completely nuts priceways.

I recently joined couchsurfing.org and made only pleasant experiences so far (while getting layed wasn't one of them).
    If in need for temporary work you should definitely head to europes wine regions in harvest time which will be at the end of september/ beginning of october depending on where you're going. They're hiring grapepickers (but payment isn't too great).

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i dont know what kind of work you plan on doing (and how legal you will be to work) but realise that the recession is biting over here too.

what to bring:

clothes: euroman sizing and styling is laughable and compared with 'merica, massivly overpriced.

a chain on your wallet,(you can always tuck it) youll get tagged as a tourist real quick and the pickpockets on this continent dont play.

a small camera, (and extra memory) you?ll be snapping away like nuts, no shame in being a tourist: you shoot best with fresh eyes anyway.

Gel innersoles, youll be doin a lot of walking.

A diary. Really. I backpacked solo for a year and my biggest regret is not keeping a diary, a blog does not count. (see next point)

What to leave behind:

Your fucking social networks. Travelling is about new experiences, jumping in the deep end and learning about yourself in the process, logging in to facebook to keep up with all the bullshit back home is cheating. Youll have plenty of time to upload all your pics when you get back.

Any preconceived notions of Europe, youll find that if you do, many Europeans preconceived notions of Americans will fade.

You can help this by not wearing a baseball cap. Nothing tags an American tourist quicker than the cap: you will be very surprised how much difference it makes, blame it on the fratboy springbreak bro?s that were here just before you, but wear one and youll be taken for a sucker at every turn.

Scan ALL your ID and email it to a second email address, if anything goes missing, you will have scans of it all. Passport, (all pages, even the blank ones), birth certificate, insurance card, drivers license, social security card, the works.

If you swing by Amsterdam I can show you around, get you plastered and might be able to sort a couch if given enough notice.

Thanks, che.

That looks really useful, is there an analog for France, Spain or Italy?

I was thinking about the grapepicking thing, in either France or Italy. My buddy had mentioned that he had done it and enjoyed it. I will only need sustenance wages, so I'm not tripping.

Good idea, DB. Any more authentic experience/off the beaten path couches worth looking into?

NZ: I'm not a hot euro-guy these days, so getting laid during this trip is definitely a long shot.

NZ: Great advice. If I head up your way I'll definitely give you a shout. I plan on doing lots of Local-drinking experience.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Try some of these recruitment companies, like CPL or ManPower. It will probably be a good idea to send them your CV as soon as possible.

Nobody cares about caps in any european metropole I've ever been to.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    If you're long on time and short on money check out the Grande Randonn?e routes. You can hike through some gorgeous landscapes, meet a lot of people, and you'll have better access to the agricultural communities for the vendemmia/grape harvesting. Pack light. You don't need a tent or any of that.

Otherwise, head east. Get out of the Euro zone and your dollar will go a lot further.

If you're long on time and short on money check out the Grande Randonn?e routes.

That's exactly what I will be, and this looks really interesting. Thanks!

I would mos def goto Prag!

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Any preconceived notions of Europe, youll find that if you do, many Europeans preconceived notions of Americans will fade.

Or do the usual thing and claim you're Canadian!

All joking aside, if you come to Norway get in contact and I'll tell you fun stuff to do. Not so great here on a tight budget, though.

All joking aside, if you come to Norway get in contact and I'll tell you fun stuff to do. Not so great here on a tight budget, though.

I probably won't be able to get to Scandinavia this trip, but if I do make it up that way, I'll take you up on that. I appreciate it.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i'ma be in barcelona/madrid in late july...considering doin the ol couchsurf. had great experiences with it in the states

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    i would consider not to stay too long in venice or prague. heading east is the thing