Just saw that Bo Hansson died earlier today

Comments

• awwww...RIP

i have yet to tire of "lord of the rings"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    RIP

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Aww damn

I was just playing the LOTR record out loud at a store in Berlin last month discussing his work

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

RIP

Going to listen to his music this evening.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Sad to hear about this. I actually remember his Lord of the Rings album coming out when I was at school. It was weird hearing this shit sampled on a Black Moon record.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Shit.

Hvil i fred!

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    dude made some cool records... RIP

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    RIP

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    RIP

Sad news indeed.

I always saw him as the European Tomita.

Good memories of chopping up Bo LPs 10 years ago making my first beats.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Sad to hear. One of my favourite Swedish musicians no doubt. I had the idea of interviewing him a few years ago, but heard then about the difficulties surrounding his personal life... Hope he found some peace.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Not really. Bo Hansson made spacey progrock, Tomita made symphonic synth bleeps.

Hvil i fred!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    wow, rest in peace. Bo Hansson was some of the first records I ever grabbed cuz the covers looked ill...

what the hell has been with these past 2 years, people falling off everywhere and anywhere... legends. treasure your lives people.

peace.

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P.

Photobucket

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    RIP

just picked a copy of this up over the weekend, never noticed the shadow until today

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Is that the same album as Attic Thoughts?

a few of his albums comes with different covers same records, im pretty sure the same thing goes with this one, is the attic thoughts the one where hes drawn like a fly or something, yeah.. not sure its exactly the same, but does seem to have some of the same tracks

first pressings on the Silence label

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Peanut Butter Wolf sample. Weird, haunting, lovely track.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RIP

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've never passed on checking a Hansson solo or collaboration record which says a lot for the variety of output he had, you never knew what you were going to get but you knew at the very least it was going to be interesting. RIP.

yes he does use synths, but does this sound like Tomita, not any Tomitas Ive heard..

• Options
    RIP Bo.

a few of his albums comes with different covers same records, im pretty sure the same thing goes with this one, is the attic thoughts the one where hes drawn like a fly or something, yeah.. not sure its exactly the same, but does seem to have some of the same tracks

Yup, I have them both, same album.

• Respect

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    a few of his albums comes with different covers same records

US/UK (Charisma) -> Swedish (Silence)

"Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings" -> "Sagan om ringen"
    "Magician's Hat" -> "Ur trollkarlens hatt"
    "Attic Thoughts" -> "Mellanv?sen"
    "Music Inspired by Watership Down" -> "El-Ahrairah"

I actually think there's a slight difference to the tracklist of the Silence vs. Charisma versions of the LOTR album.
    I'm pretty sure the Silence pressing has 1-2 tracks more.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    RIP, still have all those Bo records somewhere...

• ArksArks 133 Posts

Not really. Bo Hansson made spacey progrock, Tomita made symphonic synth bleeps.

Hvil i fred!

yes he does use synths, but does this sound like Tomita, not any Tomitas Ive heard..

To clarify: Maybe I should have said Rick Wakeman? But to me Bo Hansson was a european artist whose records i used to grab on the strength, because they always had a few cool noises etc to sample on there. This was paralleled by the way I bought up Tomita records and Rick Wakeman records. Although this changed later, when I picked up all the Bo LPs 10 years ago I wasn't buying them to sit down and listen to. Just being honest here, but my interest in "old records" (like a lot of people's) started in earnest when I bought a sampler.

It's cool, let's not take away from this thread honouring Mr Hansson. RIP.

• ZacZac 20 Posts
    Bo Hansson will always be one of my favorite musicians. I was lucky enough to find his records when I was in my teens and they blew my wig. I started looking for all kinds of records much harder after that. His passing is sad, but his music is still here! Another amazing artist to celebrate!

..did anyone else ever hear about an album he supposedly recorded with Jimi Hendrix that was obviously never released?

Bo Hansson will always be one of my favorite musicians. I was lucky enough to find his records when I was in my teens and they blew my wig. I started looking for all kinds of records much harder after that. His passing is sad, but his music is still here! Another amazing artist to celebrate!

..did anyone else ever hear about an album he supposedly recorded with Jimi Hendrix that was obviously never released?

They did play live together, and Jimi covered "Tax Free" - but a whole album together? Sounds like a myth - I'd want it to be true though...