BOUTIQUE DIGGER

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There used to be a boutique in South Chicago that - for some odd reason - sold records. So there's that. Mainly sealed, unsold stock.

I remember buying pristine copies of Badfinger's Magic Christian Music and Ripple's self-titled elpee on GRC, both of which were out-of-print at the time (1992). No longer around, and the last time I went there (it was '95 by then), the records looked water damaged.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I buy all my records from authentic funk providers who can also tell me the name of the girl 'round the way

Isn't there an element of mushroom procurement involved in this approach? Or am I mixing up my digging modi operandi?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I buy all my records from authentic funk providers who can also tell me the name of the girl 'round the way

Isn't there an element of mushroom procurement involved in this approach? Or am I mixing up my digging modi operandi?

yeah, something about a psychedelic mushroom patch & a BBQ joint

can't really remember the whole thing

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

last time i brought mushrooms it was from a boutique.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I usually get my records from this dude down the block. He's usually pushing a shopping card full of vinyl. He receives alien transmissions in his fillings and use bologna to plug up the holes in his British Knights but he's kool peeps!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I usually get my records from this dude down the block. He's usually pushing a shopping card full of vinyl.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

yeah, something about a psychedelic mushroom patch & a BBQ joint[/b]

can't really remember the whole thing

I'm saying, there are both in this photo taken from my balcony...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I don't get the boutique digger bit. So I guess if I'm not in some ones basement, knee deep in mold and cat piss diggin through dust and dirt I'm not a true digger?!! F**K that! I go where ever has records. I've been in my share of basements and record stores alike...and some times the basement of record stores. Dudes are just splitting hairs.

Yeah. At this point in my life, I'm a record buyer. If I have the time and the means, and there are records I want, I'll buy them. But real world moves have been trumping record buying for me for the most part for a while now, never mind the grind of putting in the time and effort to properly "dig."

Srsly. By nature of the one-foot-in-the-grave physical-product music industry, 95 percent of record stores would be considered boutiques. For me, records are a hobby not a way of life. And spending half my weekend at flea markets, junk stores, thrifts and garage sales is a waste of time and money. I don't feel bad about dropping perhaps a little extra dough on a record that's in good condition and of good quality musically. I know for a fact the record-store proprietor doesn't mind either.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    oh shit, think I bought philosopher stones from that spot in 2001...

boutique diggin all day son!

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Boutique Digging = Having someone chew your food for you before you swallow it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Acceptable ways to find records:

search party

magic

use of force

tricky lures

going underground

traditional digging

trades!

the force can be used for good or evil.

private dealer

boutique:

Find more videos like this on MyVideoStyle

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Acceptible ways to dig:

• Acceptable ways to find records:

search party

magic

use of force

tricky lures

going underground

traditional digging

trades!

private dealer

boutique:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Boutique Digging = Having someone chew your food for you before you swallow it.

The same thing has happened with vintage clothing.
    One used to have to wade through racks and/or piles of clothes, shoes and purses to find one or two amazing things...everywhere from dusty, messy hole-in-the-wall shops to by-the-pound warehouses at Goodwill, etc.
    Now, stores have minimum wage minions who do the wading for them, the items get 500% mark-up and the shopper never has to get her/his hands dirty.
    After doing all the dirty work for years and years, I am OK with paying for someone who I think has pretty good taste to do the front line work for me. But I also don't have much choice. All the by-the-pounds have closed up, stores have relationships with the warehouses for first picks and small crappy second-hand stores have become.....vintage clothing boutiques!

One thing I should mention - whereas I am more than happy to still do the dirty work for records, the rise in bedbugs in urban centres has me scared shitless when it comes to buying second-hand/vintage clothing.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Acceptable ways to find records:

search party

magic

use of force

tricky lures

going underground

traditional digging

trades!

private dealer

boutique:

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I only deal with boutique dollarbins. Walls is for bitches.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i love boutiques

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    boutiques love me!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i fondly remember going into the old TSL after playing ball for two hours. being sweaty and grimy and sitting at the listening station for hours. trading two MOP records for store credit to buy one of their $30 joints. then going across the street to Mozzarella and getting a slice of pizza for the same amount i spent on the aforementioned MOP records.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I went into a 2nd hand store today and found a copy of Sojourner on Strata East for 6,50?. The store didn't have any wooden floor, but wooden racks. It smelled somehow sterile in there. I mean, the store is new still....they don't sell any clothes but their (theyre there) world music CD section is divided in many countries...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    BOUTIQUES: Where you trade in your unwanted records (found whilst digging) for heat.

German Boutiques are somewhat diffent

I went to one in Berlin last month, needless to say I left w/o anything and the Boutiques Cashier Lady (thats the correct term for record clerk in boutiques, right?) was so incredibly stupid and snobby.

Thank god I have my regulars in Mitte

I went to one in Berlin last month, needless to say I left w/o anything and the Boutiques Cashier Lady (thats the correct term for record clerk in boutiques, right?) was so incredibly stupid and snobby.

which was it?

cant remember the name, its just down the street from rosenthaler platz.

after rereading my post I figured this is probably just how most boutiques are, but in Germany you find all these weird ethno worldly stores or hoerspiel kinda shops that sometimes carry decent stuff in the bins.

Prob like the one where you found your strata piece

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    I went into a 2nd hand store today and found a copy of Sojourner on Strata East for 6,50?. The store didn't have any wooden floor, but wooden racks. It smelled somehow sterile in there. I mean, the store is new still....they don't sell any clothes but their (theyre there) world music CD section is divided in many countries...

and where was that? i have yet to find ANY strata release in germany for cheap.

• MrFingazMrFingaz 64 Posts
    Yea man those botique "cashier people" are some lames. They like to watch you dig too. Especially if your black.

and where was that? i have yet to find ANY strata release in germany for cheap.

in my hometown, and I would not call this a boutique, it rather looks like a body shop filled with CD's. Oh, they also had Melvin Sparks S/T on Westbound in mint for 5?. But these things happen once every 5-10 years over here. No, no records at the Dutch border...

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    So does this count as having fulfilled Godwin's law?

Frank is currently fighting on two frontiers.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    For me, records are a hobby not a way of life. And spending half my weekend at flea markets, junk stores, thrifts and garage sales is a waste of time and money. I don't feel bad about dropping perhaps a little extra dough on a record that's in good condition and of good quality musically. I know for a fact the record-store proprietor doesn't mind either.

I agree with this and have no problems paying "market value" for records I want
    at stores or online, but the obvious appeal of shopping for records at thrifts,
    flea markets, garage sales, etc, is that all the records are, whatever, $1 ...
    and if you find a record that would be $100 at a "boutique," it will still be $1.