Underrated Hip Hop Albums.

magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
and these 2 albums by this artist in particular. Mr Complex - Hold this Down.See!! i couldn't even find a proper pic of the cover to post up.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Mr. Complex is a fuckin TERRIBLE rapper. his one album has attained cult status with me and my friends though for the funny ass skits.

"you know tasha?"
    "tasha? tasha who?!?!"
    "you know Tasha! the one with the horse face!"
    "oh yeah, horse face tasha!!! she used to go with that dude curtis"
    "curtis? which curtis?"
    "you know, the one that walk like he got a dick in his ass!!!"
    "oh yeah!!! dick in the ass curtis!!"

HELLARIOUS

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    You got to peep the skits on the new one "Plex goes Hollowood featuring Will Ferell","Got Beef" and "Lil Boomin" where he's dissing a producer over the phone,telling him his beats are "Straight Trash" and after he's done he accidently phones back the same number.
    "Glue" ft. Biz Markie.
    "Scrape your back out" are the "nu classiks".

I think people "felt" the "Hell on Earth" album Ed.
    I didn't buy "Murder Musik" something didn't "feel" right about it.

I think people "felt" the "Hell on Earth" album Ed.

they didnt feel it ENOUGH...

Yeah they were still in their prime when they dropped it.FUCK DA SOURCE!! and the naysayers.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

not sure how critically underrated. also I haven't listened to it in a while. i make such powerful, confident strokes.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Hell On Earth and Infamous yes.

but INFAMY and AMERIKAS NIGHTMARE !?! Are you seerious?!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I think this is very underrated

• I think this is very underrated

i remember that one being okay, but their first album sucked. the best song from it wasn't even on the album, it was the "remember we" salaam remi remix.

my vote:

• Rappin' Ron & Ant Diddly Dog - Bad N-Fluenz

Bay Area Gangsta rap with hard lyrics. Rappin Ron got down on this one but rarely gets rep. PH (playa hata) skit is mad funny.

girl: where my husband at anyway?
    playa hata: yo husband, that nigga must have two wives I just dropped him off at his bitch house
    girl: a bitch house oh is that right whats this bitch name
    ph: shiiiittt I don't know I think her name was Laquisha...
    girl: Laquisha that bitch he told me he been stop fucking with that ugly ass bitch
    ph: aint that his baby mama
    girl: what he got some mo babies, that scanless ass muthafucka I'm a kill him I thought that dick was mine

Priceless when you hear it. Damn.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

cosign on the DPG joint !

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i've never heard it.

actually i think i would give it a shot, tyring to find back the west coast stuff i've been missing

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    this is hella underrated

• dope album, still looking for a cd copy. it seems like just yesterday you could walk into any random "wherehouse" and pick up all of these now out of print cd's. another one i still don't have on cd is:

co-sign on that special ed "revelations" album.

some more:

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i like that Camp Lo too!

more

I LIKE INFAMY....AMERIKAS NIGHTMARE IS KINDA ...BUT I'M SPEAKING ON MOBB DEEP'S CATALOGUE IN GENERAL

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

yea!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I LIKE INFAMY....AMERIKAS NIGHTMARE IS KINDA ...BUT I'M SPEAKING ON MOBB DEEP'S CATALOGUE IN GENERAL

I'll give you everything BUT the second album (Infamous)... dudes name that as an all time favorite constantly, that is one of those 'touchstone' records of the 90s so there's no way it could be underrated

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think this is very underrated

Decent production; embarassingly bad rapping

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Mr. Complex is a fuckin TERRIBLE rapper.
    get the fuck outta here.
    Polyrhythm Addicts
    "Visualize" +remix
    Rhapsody

his one album has attained cult status with me and my friends though for the funny ass skits.

"you know tasha?"
    "tasha? tasha who?!?!"
    "you know Tasha! the one with the horse face!"
    "oh yeah, horse face tasha!!! she used to go with that dude curtis jermaine"
    "curtis? which curtis? jermaine who?"
    "you know, jermaine with the shit bref"
    "oh yeah, shit bref jermaine. yeah yeah. naw naw, you thinkin of um..whats his name from uptown...curtis."
    "curtis? which curtis?"
    "you know. CRACKHEAD curtis!"
    "oh yeah, crackhead curtis. damn, i ain't seen him in a minute.he used to roll with that dude george"
    "george? uh..i dunno no george"
    "you know george! the one that walk like he got a dick in his ass!!!"
    "oh yeah, that george! yeah, nobody fuck with him no more"
    ...[/b]

HELLARIOUS

"Do You Know My Mans And Em"

I'd like to add...

• eetzeetz 53 Posts

definately under-rated.

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    Low Profile (DJ Aladdin and W.C.) "We're All in This Together"

Xzibit - "At The Speed of Light"

Freestyle Fellowship "Inner City Griots"

Just a few...I'll be back.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Two of my own:

Two reaffirmations:

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    co-signs.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Somehow this thread slid downwards from "under-rated hiphop albums" to "hip-hop albums that (arguably) aren't quite as bad as everyone says they are"...

• A quick peek into my antiquated mind garden reveals:

I'll admit that I may have been the only person to truly enjoy this tape, much to the chagrin of all passengers in my car from 1990-1991.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Hogg,
    Is there stuff on there that is better than the single? I thought that song was absolute fucking garbage, but I could see where it could have moments. Speak on it mang.

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    A quick peek into my antiquated mind garden reveals:

I'll admit that I may have been the only person to truly enjoy this tape, much to the chagrin of all passengers in my car from 1990-1991.

My brother and I enjoyed it, for about a week... "Aaaaaaaafro's!!" got old too quick and gone not fast enough.

• Hogg,
    Is there stuff on there that is better than the single? I thought that song was absolute fucking garbage, but I could see where it could have moments. Speak on it mang.

To be honest, I only had the tape and can't find it now, so I'll just say that I found it to be funny and enjoyable 15 years ago. I don't really expect anyone here to cosign it, though. Like I said: private mind garden.

But I'm still feelin' "Feel It." There's a copy of the 12" at Groove Merchant under Josh B's picks right now!