Treme (pronounced Trih-May related)

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
When I moved from Austin to Berkeley back in '97, it took me a minute to stop pronouncing Shattuck as Shaw-Tuck.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    See also "Houston St." in NYC.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Melpomene.
    Burgundy.
    Calliope.

• Guilty of:

Sepul-VEE-da

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    In England we are born with the right to pronounce things how we see fit.

Therefore Nike is pronounced Nyick, Adidas is pronounced Addedaz and Porche is pronounced Porch.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    In England we are born with the right to pronounce things how we see fit.

Therefore Nike is pronounced Nyick, Adidas is pronounced Addedaz and Porche is pronounced Porch.

I always liked "al-you-min-ee-um" for aluminum. Dudes are pronouncing letters that aren't even there.

Also, I traveled with this British girl for a bit who insisted that oregano was pronounced "or-eh-gah-no". Like the Italians don't know how to pronounce their own word.

• In England we are born with the right to pronounce things how we see fit.

I always liked "al-you-min-ee-um" for aluminum. Dudes are pronouncing letters that aren't even there.

Also, I traveled with this British girl for a bit who insisted that oregano was pronounced "or-eh-gah-no". Like the Italians don't know how to pronounce their own word.

but, but, but, it is "al-you-min-ee-um" here since we actually spell it aluminium...

the oregano thing is pretty common too.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Actually it is 'allah - min[/b] - yum'

And Merica is pronounced 'colony'. Thank you.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Melpomene.
    Burgundy.
    Calliope.

Milan

See also:
    Versailles, KY

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

Yeah, you 'erbs.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    In Boston:
    Gloucester (Glauh-stah)
    Worcester (Wuh-stah)
    Haverhill (Hayverill)
    Medford (Med-fuh)
    Peabody (Pee-bdy)

Forget it, I could be here all day...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cairo, Egypt vs. Cairo, TX

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cairo, Egypt vs. Cairo, TX

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I traveled with this British girl for a bit who insisted that oregano was pronounced "or-eh-gah-no". Like the Italians don't know how to pronounce their own word.

I not only pronounce it this way but tut at the TV when I hear it pronounced differently. True Brit moves revealed.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    my grandfather who is from the logan neighborhood in north philadelphia pronounces the name of a city just south of him as bawl-dee-more.

i have found this to be quite common among middle aged british people when they speak either italian or french they do so with great linguistic fluency yet there is an intentional lack of putting forth any accent whatsoever. their italian for example is intentionally english accented as though it is beneath them to take on any inflection but their own even when speaking another language. technically proficient but unwavering in their englishness. to hear this way of speaking makes me bristle.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Why do you hate the British

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I find it to be the opposite, British people go a bit overboard in trying to ham up the accent and it can be a bit cringeworthy, whilst I very very rarely hear other nationalities speaking in a British (or American) accent when they visit.
    Either way, does it really matter?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Watched this last night, it was very good. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Also jaguar == "jag-war" vs "jag-you-ar"

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Yeah, you 'erbs.

Dropping aitches. Really pisses me off. Erbs. Istory. These are not French[/b], these are not silent, it's some misguided elitism, and it's just bloody wrong & lazy. I know yanks do it all the time (particularly for herbs/herbal), this is a really beef with Briddishers who do this for words like "istorical", but should bloody well know better. Getting all Hyacinthe Bouquet.

Buoy[/b] The U.S. pronunciation would be unrecognised in the UK. The British pronunciation occurs in America, more commonly for the verb than the noun, still more in derivatives buoyant, buoyancy.

How do Americans pronounce Buoy, if they're getting buoyancy right?

Boo-ee. And the "h" in "herb" is silent, because is actually is Latin by way of France:

"herb
    late 13c., erbe, from O.Fr. erbe, from L. herba "grass, herb." Refashioned after Latin since 15c.,"

Boo-ee.

Boo-ee-ency? Boo-ee-ent?

And the "h" in "herb" is silent, because is actually is Latin by way of France:

"herb
    late 13c., erbe, from O.Fr. erbe, from L. herba "grass, herb." Refashioned after Latin since 15c.,"

Since British English started pronouncing the 'h', it's never preceded with 'an'. Same with an[/b] istorical fact. Never said or written as they're both considered English words that follow English grammatical rules. Is the a/an herb/erb addressed in American English?

Boo-ee.

Boo-ee-ency? Boo-ee-ent?

"herb

Since British English started pronouncing the 'h', it's never preceded with 'an'. Same with an[/b] istorical fact. Never said or written as they're both considered English words that follow English grammatical rules. Is the a/an herb/erb addressed in American English?

Boy-en-see. Boy-ent.

We do say "an 'erb." Unless we're calling someone "a Herb," which follows the pronunciation convention of the name "Herbert," with a pronounced "h."

Boo-ee.

Boo-ee-ency? Boo-ee-ent?

"herb

Boy-en-see. Boy-ent.

We do say "an 'erb." Unless we're calling someone "a Herb," which follows the pronunciation convention of the name "Herbert," with a pronounced "h."

Here some people will say istorical, but they won't precede it in writing or speaking with an... which is just annoying.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Watched this last night, it was very good. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I suppose we should re-direct show discussion to this thread.

As far as local pronunciations, San Diego peeps drive down gar-NET street. San Francisco folks drive down Gough rhymes with Cough. And Bambooshay never posts here anymore.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

their italian for example is intentionally english accented as though it is beneath them to take on any inflection but their own even when speaking another language. technically proficient but unwavering in their englishness. to hear this way of speaking makes me bristle.

Don't Italians do just this when using borrowed English words like for instance e-mail?

• covecove 1,566 Posts

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    And Bambooshay never posts here anymore.
    tragic

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Wor-sta-sheer.