Ebay problem - advice sought

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Very good advice from people here - I'll contact ebay. But he already opened a case against me too at the same time as the neg so I don't think I've any cards to play. One thing I don't like is that he's insisting on me paying the 40$ double postage now, upfront, before I sending the LP - maybe I can use that as an extortion claim?

• Very good advice from people here - I'll contact ebay. But he already opened a case against me too at the same time as the neg so I don't think I've any cards to play. One thing I don't like is that he's insisting on me paying the 40$ double postage now, upfront, before I sending the LP - maybe I can use that as an extortion claim?

dude, don't send him a thin dime until you get that parcel back. perhaps he is acting in good faith but maybe you get double burned here. be smart. you have cards to play.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    the extortion is that he is leveraging the negative feedback to obtain his goal. That's not allowed - you're supposed to work the problems out before leaving feedback.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    One thing I don't like is that he's insisting on me paying the 40$ double postage now, upfront, before I sending the LP - maybe I can use that as an extortion claim?

Perhaps, but as JP pointed out, the email he sent stating that he would remove the negative feedback after A, B & C ... that's extortion plain and simple. Your feedback is supposed to be your final word on a transaction. Leaving feedback and then negotiating its removal is extortion.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    i'll follow your advice.

BTW I just noticed that he keeps changing his ebay Id - 5 times in the last 24 months. He last changed it on March 21st. You can see this for yourself on ebay where my seller id is the same as my SS id, and where you'll also be able to see his neg feedback which, in case any of you find this 1st/2nd pressing thing hard to believe (I don't blame you), at least does the courtesy of verifying that for me.

His neg comment: "List perfect 2nd copy, send lesser sound quality 1st press.???????"

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I bet this is the same clown that returned a copy of Funky Donkey to me because the cover was too thick and he claimed it was a second pressing.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    glancing at his purchase list it seems he's bought from nearly half of soulstrut

looks like a 95 WOF collectro

I predict a

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    glancing at his purchase list it seems he's bought from nearly half of soulstrut

looks like a 95 WOF collectro

I predict a

translation please for non-hip country peasant type

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    translation:

1. most of the sellers in his feedback list are also on soulstrut

2. his focus seems to be '95 Wall of Fame' pieces - i.e well known rare funk( possibly with breaks)

3. he will appear shortly in this thread( )

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    translation:

3. he will appear shortly in this thread( )

He'll be my guest. Maybe we could have a more sane exchange than via ebay. He might then feel honour bound to keep his word and revise my neg as promised when he gets the refund. And maybe he'll realise that it's unreasonable to ask for the shipping refund upfront so that I risk losing an extra 40$ on top of the neg, with no guarantee of getting the LP back. In return I'll edit out "anal retent" from my previous posts and renounce publishing his address w/ Google Earth screen grab entitled "Free Tribe Discography Here" (joke)

• i just noticed that your problem-buyer bought a very expensive record from me (i still got it in the hands, though)!!! this morning i got a message via ebay from another seller going like this:

Hello,

i have a qustion. I noticed that a member called *********** bought a record from you. Does he cause you any problems? Because with me he always wanted partial refunds etc... I emailed several people and he did this to more sellers.

Any info would be great
    thanks

should i bring you people together so you can build a case?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    yes please - every bit of info helps. please PM me on it

Cheers

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Update: he's repeatedly insisting on me paying 40$ more than the required total refund including 80$ upfront, BEFORE[/b] returning the LP. It's all there in writing on ebay's resolution centre. So I escalate his own case against him, claiming extortion and leave supporting evidence:

1: 5 different ebay IDs in the last 24 months
    http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserIdHistory&requested=chester5burry

2: Serial leaver of negative feedback:
    http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=chester5burry&Dirn=Left-+by

3: One of the most black-listed buyers on ebay:
    http://blacklistedebayers.blogspot.com/

I also requested feedback revision and the clown then does me the greatest service possible - check this out:

So he changes the text of the original negative feedback from "listed a 2nd edition but sent a 1st", to "listed a 1st edition but sent a 2nd" WTF?! It's an admission that he was lieing all along and also a handy warning that his plan B is to return a reissue in exchange for a $500 refund. Screw him. I sent this info back to Ebay as further evidence.

• ZacZac 20 Posts
    Arg! I definitely suggest getting in touch with paypal/ebay about this on the phone right away. He crossed a line that he shouldn't have with the feedback thing, so deal with that and put the other stuff on hold. It'll put you in a better position when it comes to working out the other stuff. Wrap it up, B.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Anybody had any recent experiences with chester5burry?

Guy won a big auction with me and when I checked his feedback, there was one recent one that got deleted by ebay. I checked the item and the seller's feedback and it's another four digit record that from the seller's comment to his neg feedback had some feedback/buyer-protection extortion thing going on. I then googled "chester5burry" and found this thread as well as him being mentioned on Waxidermy as a deadbeat and a general pain in the neck...

What really sort of blew my mind was this here:

Most people he left neg. feedback with had given him positive feedback but then revised it to warn other sellers and then chester5burry somehow got ebay to remove the feedback. That's really fucked up.

I already contacted the second highest bidder who also won another one of my auctions and he's willing to deal and seems happy for the opportunity.

Sounds pretty much like a non-brainer I have to admitt even as I type this... I guess the worst thing to happen is chester5burry leave me some neg feedback but I have a strong feeling that this will be the last time I put anything on ebay anyway.

• Frank said:

What really sort of blew my mind was this here:

That list is seriously fu**ed up!

It's a shame that eBay regards most sellers as a potential scammers and ignore that there's tons of buyers that are not serious.

WHY did eBay remove the possibility to leave neg feedback on sellers? Would be interesting to see how this guys feedback would have looked like if you could leave neg-feedback.

It shouldn't be necessary to go to non-eBay-sites to find out who the buyers, you should put a block on, are.

• EBay sucks big time ! Used to be good, but they're heading for self-destruction. Ignorant enough to take a look around (Discogs etc.) they raise their fees & have 100's of rules & reglements. I still need to use it because I already have 3000+ items on there but last 2 years all seem to do is f*c* up my mind & moods.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Dude is a certified nutcase.
    I had already sent him a request to cancel the transaction through ebay and he refused.

I called him on the phone and explained to him that it was just too much risk for me to follow through with the transaction. His English was very bad and I had a hard time understanding him. Of course he had a very good explanation for all of the 37 negative feedbacks he had left other sellers within the past 20 months...

He refused to aknowledge my wish to cancel and told me he will send payment with Paypal regardless. Then suddenly his voice got very calm and he said "...now we don't talk anymore" before hanging up.

One minute later I get a "payment made" notification from Paypal.
    I instantly refund him.
    He makes another payment which I again refund.

I just wrote him the following email:

There is no way at all that I will ever send you this record.

You can either accept this now and let it go.

Or you can continue to make me angry.

One of the two possibilities carry serious consequences and will give you reason for great regret.

Open a window, take a deep breath, lie down on your couch and give this some good thought before wasting more of both of our time.

best regards

Frank

I can still remember the time about 10-15 years ago when ebay actually was fun.
    Payments were made by money order, everybody was respectful because it was apparent that this was the only way this system would work. Now you got all those regulations and fucking paypal and it's all a big mess and a pain in the ass.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I didn't know about this site. I found out the one negative feedback I received and comment from the Japanese buyer also gave the same lame comments and negative to 12 other gracious sellers.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Update:

- ebay never listened to word I said (surprise)
    - he returns the package with the full value declared (against my instructions but as I expected) in order to hit me with the astronomical french customs duty
    - I refuse the package suspecting it to contain a non original pressing (see my previous post) and because I refuse to pay the duty
    - ebay refunds him and starts hassling me to refund them - I refuse
    - Ebay keeps threatening to withdraw my selling rights which is fine by me because:
    1. I don't want to sell on ebay any more anyway, and
    2. I can't sell any more even if I wanted to because as a very infrequent seller the one and only neg I took from Chester-Poisonous-berry was enough to take me down from 100% to 94%

I'm glad that ebay have lost money from this but pissed that Chester4Slurry gets to keep the LP plus the refund. One day he's going to piss off the wrong guy close to his neighbourhood. Why hasn't he changed his ID again like he had done in the past?

• now that you have his name and address set up an RSS feed on any future obituary if he's really holding:

tabira said:
    "I have 3 sealed 1st copies and 2 open copies. Also have 2 sealed 2nd copies and 5 open copies. Absolutely 2nd vinyl is higher sound quality than 1st one due to re-mastered. This transaction is 200% bad for tribe collectors."

probably doesn't have any loved ones though.

• F@C@d up, man.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Just for your entertainment, here are the last two email I received from a now heated chester5burry. He's trying to pressure me into sending him the record by threatening with negative feedback:

Exhibit 1:

"Hello

Please be honest.
    I think you sell this LP for third party higher price.
    I told ebay top customer support.
    If you can accept this transaction ,I must leave negative feedback for you.
    It's not my fault.
    Your feedback % will be almost 85% positive.
    Nobody buy high price LP again from you on ebay.

Goodbye.
    chester5burry"

I responded with: "Threatening me is a very bad idea."

And was rewarded with the even tastier Exhibit 2:

"Hello

Excuse me, That is ebay's idea.
    I have pride for buying records.
    You are not honest .

If you not sell it for me, I don't want to talk with you more.
    Also I never touch you again except sure feedback.

I don't have much time to talk with similar like you.

Goodbye."

hahaha...

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    what an annoying prick

• I've always wondered whether there's something in their drinking water that makes 'em act like this. Btw, does anyone know where the thread is with all the best ebay messages from French buyers? I seem to remember one from a couple of years ago...

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    DigginDave said:
    I've always wondered whether there's something in their drinking water that makes 'em act like this. Btw, does anyone know where the thread is with all the best ebay messages from French buyers? I seem to remember one from a couple of years ago...

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. Unless he imports Perrier this freak drinks L.A. tap water.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    tabira said:
    DigginDave said:
    I've always wondered whether there's something in their drinking water that makes 'em act like this. Btw, does anyone know where the thread is with all the best ebay messages from French buyers? I seem to remember one from a couple of years ago...

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. Unless he imports Perrier this freak drinks L.A. tap water.

And he's Japanese, not French. I think there's an asshole quota that doesn't discriminate between races or cultures. A good percentage of what walks and breathes just better had been flushed.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Damn it feels good to be a buyer.

• Frank said:
    tabira said:
    DigginDave said:

And he's Japanese, not French. I think there's an asshole quota that doesn't discriminate between races or cultures. A good percentage of what walks and breathes just better had been flushed.

if someone wants to clue me up to his details, I can maybe pay him a visit !! that's assuming he is in Tokyo ;)

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    tabira said:
    Update:

- ebay never listened to word I said (surprise)
    - he returns the package with the full value declared (against my instructions but as I expected) in order to hit me with the astronomical french customs duty
    - I refuse the package suspecting it to contain a non original pressing (see my previous post) and because I refuse to pay the duty
    - ebay refunds him and starts hassling me to refund them - I refuse
    - Ebay keeps threatening to withdraw my selling rights which is fine by me because:
    1. I don't want to sell on ebay any more anyway, and
    2. I can't sell any more even if I wanted to because as a very infrequent seller the one and only neg I took from Chester-Poisonous-berry was enough to take me down from 100% to 94%

I'm glad that ebay have lost money from this but pissed that Chester4Slurry gets to keep the LP plus the refund. One day he's going to piss off the wrong guy close to his neighbourhood. Why hasn't he changed his ID again like he had done in the past?

so wait, this dude kept your $300 (or whatever) record, kept yr 300 dollars and then ebay tried to get you to refund what?

i haven't sold seriously on ebay for a long while and i know it has become a shitshow, but at this point, what would be stopping someone from buying tons of grail pieces and swapping them out w/ reissues and then scamming on the refund?

do they realize that this could (and is) scaring away alot of serious record dealers? or are they happy to make that djucic money?