TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• I love how this thread turned from the OG posting.

Why America never fell in love with soccer

as a toronto fc season ticket holder [in the supporters stands], i've spent the last three years having the greatest time of my life watching an admittedly average team in a sub-par league take to the pitch....

BRITS: WEIGH IN ON MLSE.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    he thinks he can enter the glamour football world
    but is buying a sinking ship for 360M euros

Jordan paid a hundred mill less to be sole owner of the bobcats that are somewhat succesful

Even if Palace are a touch overpriced, I don't know that it's such a bad idea as long as Diddy doesn't try to be an Abramovich kind of owner. When I lived in South London, I used to go and see Palace quite regularly. They're a fairly well-supported club on the whole, and there's a touch of the South London sleeping giant about them, even if their most intense rivalries are with clubs about 80 miles away in either direction. It mightn't be such bad business, although Diddy needs to be prepared to go in long-term and be ready to lose a shitpile of zlotys. Assuming they avoid the drop after that points deduction, I reckon that Palace are about three seasons away from the Prem.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    3 seasons sure. He'd have to be offering a good package to lure the better players to a potentially lower league though. We are not talking Messi or Ronaldo sums, but over those 3 seasons, perhaps ?100M spent on talent?

Then the wages.

He's an astute businessman, but footy clubs are not short-term payers, that's for sure.

• alanmckalanmck 12 Posts
    oh, for a minute then, i thought it might be about this...

it still is.

for me.

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    I love how this thread turned from the OG posting.

Why America never fell in love with soccer

Interesting article, though I find its conclusions somewhat dubious. Futbol is definitely taking off here now. I see kit being worn on a daily basis around campus (and this is the Midwest). Many of my friends follow the Premier League, and I have persuaded at least a few to pay attention every now and then. The World Cup will only heighten it. ESPN is playing a huge part. They now broadcast ticker scores (this only started in the last 1/2 years) for the Premier League and the Primera usually, as well as European contests. Games are available to watch on ESPN and Fox Sports Net, which are a part of most basic cable packages here in the states. Replays are always up on ESPN360.com (not to mention games available on less reputable sites *ahem*). More importantly watching TV on the Internet is no longer a pain in the ass. Additionally, FSC and Gol TV are available with new premium services (nothing compared to the options you guys have in England tho). The game's presence is definitely growing.

One thing that I think would def. boost visibility is a Landon Donovan move to Chelski (as sad as that might be). Chelsea is probably the most popular English club here. And Landon is looking more and more like the GOAT (for us). He would surely be an inspirational, maybe Jordan-like figure for the youtt.

One huge problem we have is the MLS. It seems too synthetic, based too much in the traditions of our other sports leagues. MLS clubs should be looking to tie their team to some natural-ish historical roots and model themselves after the Premier League, with a serious emphasis on real youth and scouting systems. To be fair, some have/are working toward this.

Yes, I have a lot of thoughts on this issue. What is the number #1 reason soccer should be more popular here: NO GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING COMMERCIALS DURING THE GAMES!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

BRITS: WEIGH IN ON MLSE.

They own a lot of Canadian franchises, right? Are they moving in for an English club too?

it still is.

for me.

I followed the minute-by-minute report, and it looks like Zamora had a good game. England-squad good?

And the Clint Dempsey goal. Did the American mean to shoot, or was it a lofted pass?

• alanmckalanmck 12 Posts
    zamora out-muscled and out-thought cannavaro, brushed him aside for the 1st goal, then set up gera for the second.

he's certainly no worse that heskey/crouch in that target role, he's a confidence player, is in the peak form of his career (16 goals this season, plus a huge amount of effort / link play, assists etc). I'd short-list him.

as for Dempsey's sand-wedge chip for the 4th, i think he tried it, hoped for it and, at least mostly, meant it.

check it around the 45 second mark.

oh, and of course, i don't actually care about his intent.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

it still is.

for me.

Yeah, that really was some comeback, and Clint Dempsey's goal was a winner worthy of any game. I was following the online commentary on The Guardian where I saw a phrase I never would have expected to read if I lived a hundred lifetimes; "Bobby Zamora is singlehandedly destroying Juventus."

Torres Torres Torres... two decent chances inside the 6 yard box.

Vermaelen red card seemed harsh, but we're still in contention after a good result.
    Bendtner, this is what you are all about, your time is NOW, fahkin 'ave it my sahrn! Step up!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I greatly enjoyed the constant replays of Benayoun's header. Predator instincts in full effect.

Not a great game and one watched with buttocks clenched. Still, top of the league with no technicalities involved.

From the line up of fixtures Arsenal are in a fine position now.

• From the line up of fixtures Arsenal are in a fine position now.

Yes.

Perfect finish would be Arsenal first, then Chelsea then United (with United also going out of the Champions League against Bayern).

I greatly enjoyed the constant replays of Benayoun's header.

All about the Man u fan in shades as Torres mis-kicks in slow mo; his big mug leaning forward as he let's off a "Whhhaaaaaaaaaaannn-"

Benayoun's header probably finished at "-kerr!"

• And speaking of ManU fans, what is with the green & gold scarf + replica kit combo...?

Idiots.

From the line up of fixtures Arsenal are in a fine position now.

Yes.

Perfect finish would be Arsenal first, then Chelsea then United (with United also going out of the Champions League against Bayern).

Um, good luck with that one. Don't you want to add Arsenal winning the CL in there as well? Chortle.

And speaking of ManU fans, what is with the green & gold scarf + replica kit combo...?

Part of any United supporters job is to furnish the club with as much of your hard earned pence as possible, this is why any loyal united supporter will have at least five "official Manchester United fc" merchandising products which are only suitable for the bin or charity shop exchange.

Plus, Norwich have probably run out of replica shirts.

So we can't EDIT old posts now?

b/w

Skel said he was going to send some 'CHUD'. His idea of chud is my idea of a modest haul from a record fair!

Major thanks.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    in all honesty do you prefer drogba's brash,egocentrick hardplay

or fabregas pussyfootedness

• Don't you want to add Arsenal winning the CL in there as well? Chortle

Just wait until Messi comes up against Campbell and Silvestre, then we'll see how good he really is...

Don't you want to add Arsenal winning the CL in there as well? Chortle

Just wait until Messi comes up against Campbell and Silvestre, then we'll see how good he really is...

LOL, I feel your pain on that one. All team loyalty blah blah blah rivalry aside it'll be an interesting couple of matches. I certainly think it's better to get Barca over two legs than one and if, if, Arsenal manage to get a result at home there's always the chance of grabbing something on the counter against a Barca team pushing forward for an equaliser at the Nou Camp.

Personally I'd love to see them knock out Barca, just a shame that Van Percie's still going to be out.

I appreciate the creation as much as the finishing...

Yeah I can't really compare the two - different kinds of players but both absolutely fantastic and both have the ability to change a game single-handedly.

I find it a lot easier to like Fabregas though that says as much about Drogba's style of play than anything else.

How old is Didier now? 31/32? I'd imagine some team's going to get a decent bargain when he moves on.

Perhaps he'll be lured to City when Jose clocks on, and we can offload Crocky Santa Bruise.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the CL,race to the top in BPL and Liga and the world cup
    I am loving this spring/summer soccer combo

next topic who is the most overated WC player
    a-robinho
    b-Cannavaro
    c-all german strikers
    d-add on

Totti.

Families are being advised to stock up on sun cream in preparation for what could be the hottest summer of all time, with temperatures set to soar past the 38.5C (101F) record.

And this year?s prediction comes not from the beleaguered Met Office, which this month dropped its seasonal forecasts after a string of blunders, but from a tiny firm which has ?out-forecast? the Government?s weather department for the past two years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weathe...big-freeze.html

Kiss of death or ?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    totti that lowlife still breathes
    he may be the most overated of all time

his attitude when his team was losing inCL and he was injured was a disgrace

I have to chime in on behalf of Skel as I know he'd say Ibrahimabitch.

My vote would of course go to Darren Fletcher.

Chizzle!

totti that lowlife still breathes
    he may be the most overated of all time

his attitude when his team was losing inCL and he was injured was a disgrace

I am seriously struggling to think of any other player who is continuously hyped at that level before every major tournament yet fails to deliver each and every time. Despite years of piss poor performance for England, Gerrard is exempted as he did perform in the CL the year Liverpool won it.

My vote would of course go to Darren Fletcher.

I can categorically and unequivocally state that Mr Fletcher will never ever be an over hyped World Cup player.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I've finally got revenge on DocMcCoy for his insistence many moons ago that Park was nothing more than bench-warmer at Man Ure. (mocking my Evra/Park avatar-R)

So at this rate you're setting yourself up for an almighty fall involving Fletcher scoring a hattrick at the Bernabau to confine Arsenal to another year gone without ever winning the Champions League.

I've got one word for you.