"timeless" electronic music?

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Cosine on the Orb live album. Seeing them live back in those days was I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E.

Plug - All the EPs (even the recent one on Rewind!)/Drum N Bass for Papa LP
    Luke Vibert - Big Soup
    Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things
    Tek9 - It's Not What You Think It Is !?!!
    Shy FX - Just An Example
    Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

I'm calling these timeless because nothing else sounds like them.

On that note, there should probably be a uZiq album in here too.

I could never get into the Metalheadz stuff, including Timeless.

• Plug - All the EPs (even the recent one on Rewind!)/Drum N Bass for Papa LP
    Luke Vibert - Big Soup
    Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things
    Tek9 - It's Not What You Think It Is !?!!
    Shy FX - Just An Example
    Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

i think steve reich just hiccuped somewhere in the catskills.

music can sound of its time and still be timeless. there's a difference between dated and obsolete.

timelessness in this case is more about dance music that stands up in terms of listenability and importance. i think there's plenty of that. the thing about good dance music, especially techno, is that it has this kind of visceral thud. even something like 'plastic dreams' is just a timeless kind of anthemic song. rhythm is rhythm, reese, paperclip people, virgo, mr fingers, lil louis... these are just well composed, properly executed songs, and that's what makes them timeless. their physicality is only their genre, not their entire being. anyway.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    > music can sound of its time and still be timeless.
    > there's a difference between dated and obsolete.

Well put.

I'm also going cheat and add two "electronic" mixes:
    1) JDJ Coldcut (It's timeless in so many respects.)
    2) Dreem Team BBC Essential Mix, live from Pzzaz in Ayia Napa (I never got to go to Ayia Napa during the height of the garage scene and this mix totally fills that void. It's many of my favorite jams from that era, perfectly mixed and toasted.)

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    No love for Walter/Wendy Carlos?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Electronica is way too wide of a genre, ranging from early German Shit up to Baltimore Club shit.

Timeless tends to become a personal critique when folks weigh in on the subject.

I'd rather ask "what are must-have albums/tracks that one needs in his/her collectron"

And some of the shit posted dont prove to be "essential"......IMO.

U cant tell me there are 5 Drum & Bass albums I need. Or 5 Jungle albums I need.
    Shit...how many Gary Numan Albums does one need to sum up his game?

In the 90's I was heavily into that shit. Up in Other Music 3 times a week checkin for that Electronica shit.
    But in '09, I have a gang of wax/cds that I never return to.

I'll elect somethin from Boards Of Canada to the list.

Ya'll can feel free to choose which album is the core statement of their shit.

• I'll elect somethin from Boards Of Canada to the list.

Music Has The Right To Children. (its the only one of theirs i've heard)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I think "Illusions on a Double Dimple" by Triumvirat is a fantastic LP. Here's a taste:

Admittedly, this is probably better categorized as prog rock, but the LP has some electronic leanings too.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Spot that CTI sample...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You dudes have some wack taste

Night at the Roxy up in here

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    this one has held up for me personally. it flows like an album should, and i dont think it feels too period specific. also, its good songwriting, as opposed to the endless repetitive style.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Pacific was pretty next level when it dropped.

This tape was my intro to 808 state after pacific 12". Making me look for their other works.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    While I would (and have) played some of these records in recent years I'm far from convinced that most of them would impress someone hearing them for the first time today. Once nostalgia is removed stuff like most of the Mo Wax, Ninja Tune ish is actually pretty boring to revisit.

I'll ride for Timeless though and, while more of a comp really, Photek's Modus Operandi but, again, nostalgia plays a big part in both of these.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont think anyone's explanation/defense of 'timeless' makes any sense. there are simply certain production trends that go in & out of style.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Ummm... at the moment I am way too into 90's cheesy big beat dance music than I would publicly admit.

Crystal Method - vegas
    Prodigy - fat of the land

yeah, some chemical brothers.

The major one that sticks out is Daft Punk. I would say they have a sound that goes beyond dance fads and stuff.

But yeah.....I've basically degenerated into a f*cking candy raver anymore. Cheesy Techno For the Win!

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

Probably doesn't qualify as timeless to most people either, but I can imagine still playing this record for a long time to come. Maybe because they stick so close to the classic disco sound. Still, it's only 7 years old, so time will tell.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    good example that metro area ish is straight class. Timeless in my opinion

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    Another vote for Boards of Canada, but I think this EP is concentrated greatness.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Another vote for Boards of Canada, but I think this EP is concentrated greatness.

I hardly breakout ....Children and Geogaddi. Whereas the EP is just enuff.

i dont think anyone's explanation/defense of 'timeless' makes any sense. there are simply certain production trends that go in & out of style.

There isn't one set definition for timeless dealing with music.

One could base the idea on the ability to play a song from whatever year to someone who has never heard of the song or the artist and not be able to differentiate between when the song was made thinking it could have been made yesterday for all they know cause the sound still seems current.

Most could hold to the idea that a song carries through time, that when playing the track automatically gives you those same thought or feelings from when you first heard the song. This is of course a more personal definition and will not hold up once Faux rillz tells you your music sucks.

Maybe timeless could deal with not the music per say, but the message contained within the song.

For example, in house music. Promised Land with the music itself, might not be timeless alone. But add the message and I have no doubt the track is timeless.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dunno, to me this all sounds like a bunch of b.s. designed to give ppl's taste in music some sort of objective justification

You write "reviews" right?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yes

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What are you afraid of? Invalidating an entire group's taste?

• awallawall 673 Posts

• awallawall 673 Posts
    but as far as dance music is concerned the real answer is kraftwerkgiorgiomoroderalexanderrobotnickjuanatkinsmarshalljeffersonlarryheardcarlcraigmortizvonoswald

• Spot that CTI sample...

great record. I picked up Geroge Benson's White Rabbit from the dollar bin and got feaked out when i put on the track Le Mar and it was what Kid Loco jacked for Relaxin' With Cherry

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Yes, I just threw together some albums together that I like alot, and didn't realise the Kid Loco had already had been mentioned. Love it, giving it a spin now.

Cosine on the Motorbass, FSOL, The Orb.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    good example that metro area ish is straight class. Timeless in my opinion

I agree... haven't heard Metro Area in a long while!