• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I predict a bad thread

JNCO

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I predict a bad thread

JNCO

Nah.

• St Germain - Tourist (lots of live musicians, but I'd say it counts)
    DJ Krush - Meiso, Strictly Turntablized, and the collab with the trumpeter (got some raps, but mostly "downtempo")
    Sly & Robbie meet Howie B - Drum n Bass Stripped to the Bone (this one is pretty slept on, but aged well)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    We just doing LP's or tracks?

First LP that usually drops into my mind on this subject is

Lets say just albums.
    And i'd definetly agree with the above pick.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Lets say just albums.
    And i'd definetly agree with the above pick.

I cant listen to this str8 thru anymore.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

Private mindgarden pick, but this never gets old to me.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

Bollox, can't get it right ...

i dont know slant mag from Adam..but this list is pretty inetersting.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/features/2520electronicalbums.asp

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

I almost said Orb earlier too.

• Its not really appropriate to call something 10-15 years old "timeless".

Its not really appropriate to call something 10-15 years old "timeless".

how about "non-dated sounding electronic music"?
    I guess i was using the phrase "timeless" in reference to the inheirent shorter-than-most-other-music-types-shelf-life of Electronic Music.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• Its not really appropriate to call something 10-15 years old "timeless".

I guess i was using the phrase "timeless" in reference to the inheirent shorter-than-most-other-music-types-shelf-life of Electronic Music.

In that case, I nominate Kraftwerk, My life in the Bush of Ghosts, Aphex Twin- Analog Bubblebath/Selected Ambient works (both of them), Daft Punk- Discovery, and Steve Reich- Electric Counterpoint

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Sorry but the K&D stuff sounds pretty of it's time.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Its not really appropriate to call something 10-15 years old "timeless".

I don't think you can really make that call about anything that wasn't released at least 10 years ago though. Unless it's something exceptional.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Bollox, can't get it right ...

Here you go, I think this is what you were trying to say.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Some of this stuff definitely sounds dated - i.e. the opposite of timeless. I'm talking about that first NIN (some of it reminded me of INXS the last time I heard it!), some of the Bjork albums cuts, some of that Massive Attack stuff...

I would agree that there's plenty of Kraftwerk (+ other German stuff), New Order & Gary Numan that is timeless though... lots of early-mid 80s electro would be included on my list too though, with and without rapps.

• henriquehenrique 10 Posts

• henriquehenrique 10 Posts

• Henrique and Finelikewine's picks are the kind of stuff I thought of when I read the title.

To me, this stuff still sounds like it's from the future:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    by 'timeless' you just mean 'good' right? because in no other way does this thread make any sense.

lots of great classic records in this thread that sound very much of their time.

and by 'electronic' you just mean 'beats without rapping'?

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    I was watching that movie "Groove" yesterday which is about raves for those who don't know and this song came on towards the end which i'm kindof feeling. Not a huge fan of DnB by any means though

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    by 'timeless' you just mean 'good' right? because in no other way does this thread make any sense.

lots of great classic records in this thread that sound very much of their time.

and by 'electronic' you just mean 'beats without rapping'?

I think by timeless it means it doesn't sound dated because all it does it loop Amen for 10 minutes straight.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Im assuming the question is what electronic production that was made years ago could still sound like it was produced to day ? ie Timeless
    For me personally lots of the early Warp stuff on the idm tip still sounds fresh. Black Dog, Autechre. A lot of the old Detroit techno still sounds amazing Carl Craig, UR. Co-sign on the Alexander Robotnik and Garry Numan. What about on the Italo tip dudes like Kano ?
    Some of Goldie's records are truely amazing and sound great to this day.
    New Order is a definite yes.
    No to Goldfrapp (her music is no that old) No to NIN and why are people putting up mix cds as examples ??
    I think a good example of music not sounding timeless is all that old Djax upbeat records. Any techno track that simply uses a 808 and a 303 is instantly tied into a particular time period for me.