"timeless" electronic music?

124»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Spot that CTI sample...

great record. I picked up Geroge Benson's White Rabbit from the dollar bin and got feaked out when i put on the track Le Mar and it was what Kid Loco jacked for Relaxin' With Cherry

yes, it is indeed mindblowing that somebody would sample a cti release

it has never, to my knowledge, been attempted before

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    So did we get a consensus on what timeless means ?

Great track that you could play for ever ?
    or
    Old production that is so amazing that it could have been produced today ?

Im just curious to see what people think.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    "designed to give ppl's taste in music some sort of objective justification"

• Mr Oizo - Analog Worms Attack

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Mr Oizo - Analog Worms Attack

very 2000

I ride for the album but....

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I got that White Rabbit for sale for you dudes with a guitar loop jones.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    So did we get a consensus on what timeless means ?

Great track that you could play for ever ?
    or
    Old production that is so amazing that it could have been produced today ?

Im just curious to see what people think.

Isn't 'timeless' something that will forever be good, because it's underlying core attribute from the bottom up is Quality? Read Robert Pirsig, he goes off on it.

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    While I would (and have) played some of these records in recent years I'm far from convinced that most of them would impress someone hearing them for the first time today. Once nostalgia is removed stuff like most of the Mo Wax, Ninja Tune ish is actually pretty boring to revisit.

I'll ride for Timeless though and, while more of a comp really, Photek's Modus Operandi but, again, nostalgia plays a big part in both of these.
    I agree. I remember being so psyched on Dj Shadow and Kid Koala when i was a pre-teen though

• kind of surprised no one d this one:

not enough electronics, perhaps?

• A lot of dated and medicore nu-electronica / nu-jazz in this thread.

As someone has already mentioned, the E2-E4 album sounds pretty timeless to me, as do a few of the other Ash Ra Tempel albums.

How about:

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Cosign on Basement Jaxx, St Germain, Chemical Bros.

• To me a record that is timeless is simply one that ages well. It sounds good 'x'- years from it's release.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    To me a record that is timeless is simply one that ages well. It sounds good 'x'- years from it's release.

what does 'ages well' mean.

heres the thing: some records ages well, then age badly, then age well, then age differently

different ideas/concepts/philosophies of music go in and out of style; records get ignored, then discovered, then celebrated, then there's a backlash, then they get rediscovered in a different context by different people (i.e. discovered by DJs, then overplayed, then ignored, then picked up by critics or a starbucks compilation or ... etc etc)

basically my point is that this stuff is way more flexible than all that. certain sounds & styles of production will come in and out of style, get more or less respect than others ... a few years back only a few people on this board were really into disco & now its definitely getting a lot more attention. theres nothing wrong w/ this, its the nature of music .... but it proves how silly this idea of 'timeless' is

'timeless' is just a way of saying 'i like this old music more than other old music that has similar levels of acclaim'

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    never mind how broad & nonsensical of a genre 'electronic music' is ... anything made with electronics?? house music has more in common with disco than it does dj shadow