"timeless" electronic music?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
So what "electronic" albums do you think have a timeless quality about them?more so than probably any other genre, 'electronic' music seems to be very beholden to the technology on which it was created and therefore is always seems alot easier to place in terms of time-period. i think that tends to 'date' electronic music more so than other forms so im asking which 'electronic' albums still sound good today.And by 'electronic' i mean disco, industrial, new wave, techno, house, d&b, downtempo and all off-shoots, etc. Rap music is NOT included.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    So what "electronic" albums do you think have a timeless quality about them?
    more so than probably any other genre, 'electronic' music seems to be very beholden to the technology on which it was created and therefore is always seems alot easier to place in terms of time-period.
    i think that tends to 'date' electronic music more so than other forms so im asking which 'electronic' albums still sound good today.
    And by 'electronic' i mean disco, industrial, new wave, techno, house, d&b, downtempo and all off-shoots, etc. Rap music is NOT included.

A youthful faux_rillz' experimental industrial noise collective--still relevant today!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Aphex twin's ambient work
    Art of noise
    Sigur ros

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Kraftwerk

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    New Order
    and if ya don't know now ya know...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Future Sound of London

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I would go with:

NIN - Pretty Hate Machine (been rediscovering this one lately)
    EBTG - Walking Wounded
    Massive Attack - Protection
    Tricky - Maxinquaye
    Squarepusher - Music is a rotted one note

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Apart from being a bad joke, I'm also kinda serious.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    amon tobin

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Kraftwerk
    Basic Channel/Chain Reaction/Rhythm&Sound
    Depeche Mode

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Autechre - 'Chiastic Slide'

Massive Attack - No Protection

and Blue Lines

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Chemical Brothers -- "Exit Planet Dust" LP and "Loops of Fury" EP... Great energy.

Get yr JNCO on.........

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Get yr JNCO on.........

I'd no idea what JNCO meant, I googled it. I still don't know what, if anything, it has to do with Goldie.

Is that what some corny assed American d'n'b heads were wearing in the 90s?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Lots of these are private mind gardenesque and not really timeless classiques.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Get yr JNCO on.........

I'd no idea what JNCO meant, I googled it. I still don't know what, if anything, it has to do with Goldie.

Guilty!

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

and Blue Lines

Rap music !

I was definetly expecting that to be the case when i posted this.
    Its fun to see who likes (or more interstingly LIKED) what and when.

and Blue Lines

Rap music !

maybe in Britain.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Electronic music stayed on the mainland, it was not allowed into Hawaii until after 1992.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Brian Eno - Music For Airports

Herbie Hancock - Sextant

Yes, sorry, I forget that we have an international contingent here on the Strut. JNCO was the official pant of the DNB movement in most parts of the US. And probably still is in some parts.

On the DNB tip, has anyone listened to Roni Size & Reprazent - NEW FORMS lately? Has that one held up?

I predict a bad thread

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Yes, sorry, I forget that we have an international contingent here on the Strut. JNCO was the official pant of the DNB movement in most parts of the US. And probably still is in some parts.

On the DNB tip, has anyone listened to Roni Size & Reprazent - NEW FORMS lately? Has that one held up?

I don't know if that was ever really a 'classic' in its time.

a Mind Garden favorite.

Also, i think its kind of a challenge to think of the electronic "album" as oppposed to just the electroinic LPs that are just collections of singles...as many electronic LPs tend to be...