Michael Jackson R.I.P. damn damn damn damn

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Not sure if this has been posted...but kind of a fun look:

http://combandrazor.blogspot.com/2009/07/everybody-wanna-be-like-mike.html

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Freddie Hubbard should have had at least one tv retrospective of his music after his death at the very least on PBS ?[/b]

Hi. I work for the company the produces most of the programming you see on PBS. Please explain what you mean by this. Thanks in advance.

• PBsoulsPBsouls 8 Posts
    Freddie Hubbard should have had at least one tv retrospective of his music after his death at the very least on PBS ?[/b]

Hi. I work for the company the produces most of the programming you see on PBS. Please explain what you mean by this. Thanks in advance.

Maybe just a retrospective of his recording and playing life.Something like the special that was made on the saxophone that was hosted by Brandford or the one on trumpet hosted by Wynton.I do not understand why trumpet players like Freddie Hubbard and Lee Morgan get all lobbed into one special with many trumpet players
    as if its some secondary instrument that has a small part of music.Donald Byrd too the 70s stuff he did was as influential as any other rock/funk band of the time.

I agree with you all that this has nothing to do with MJ and I am stupid for talking about it here.But I just can not take anymore MJ coverage and talk of musical influence and being the savior of music when at the time of his death he
    was so far from making any kind of good music and any of you who say you are down with his records after Bad are really full of it

Mr PBS
    A nice little hour special on Freddie Hubbard and his contribution to music would be nice.Obviously he does not have as many fans as MJ but records like hubtones and Night of the Cookers and First Light and more were all amazing
    and don't forget to include this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwY9hup3eIw

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    A nice little hour special on Freddie Hubbard and his contribution to music would be nice.Obviously he does not have as many fans as MJ but records like hubtones and Night of the Cookers and First Light and more were all amazing
    and don't forget to include this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwY9hup3eIw

That's pretty much an episode of American Masters, which is produced by WNET in New York.

Contact them.

Submit a proposal.

That proposal link is really more for independent production companies that want to produce a program for WNET, though.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Too bad you didn't start a Freddie Hubbard appreciation thread.
    I am sure many people would have cosigned and no one would have said, "but what about George Jones?".

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't know why I'm entertaining this really strange turn this thread has taken. I appreciate the F*ck out of Freddie Hubbard. PLEASE TO SEE THIS. OKAY? But we're talking about a completely different planet with Mike. I mean, nobody is even remotely in the same building, except for a handful of the biggest names in music cross genre of all time, MAYBE. And while I so appreciate Freddie, his shit was shit I got into after his peak, on some jazz and digger shit (PS - you definitely sound liek one of these "diggers" haha...) But dude was tops, no question - I even saw him perform in 96...

... But Mike was some shit that I lived, that we all lived. I don't know any other way to put it. So we can just say "Big up and respect to Freddie Hubbard..."

... and now BACK to Michael Jackson.

It's wild how all over the streets of Brooklyn, people are just rocking this shit out of MJ songs. On a consistent basis. It's definitely thorough. And it's probably going to be like this all summer. I am really not mad at this at all. And on top of that, it makes me think of what the greater impact will be, especially on a lot of the younger kids who may have known of MJ but never really known him, like been thoroughly introduced to his music. It makes me really happy to think of it.

THE KING IS STILL THE KING. LONG LIVE THE KING.

I maybe said something in this in this thread but his passing really got me emotional, so I didn't really want to add to all the static. Just wanted to process it in my own personal way... I'm good now. I know that we've been overwhelmed with his name, image and music for the past few weeks, but he was that large in the sense that his passing truly shook the world, in a similar manner to the way his music did. I don't want to wax poetic about the man and his body of work because as a DJ and music lover there's just too much for me to say. His music played a tremendous part in not just my musical foundation but my life in general. I think that the world might look back and see things on some PRE 6/25/09 and POST 6/25/09 shit. We lost a mountain. We lost a galaxy. We lost a force that transcends anything that we can really hope to grasp. He had a very sad and strange life and I don't envy his suffering. I am just thankful that he left an untouchable legacy that he shared with history. What he couldn't give to himself he gave to everyone else, and it will be that way until every last one of us who reads this will have left this planet.

Not wanting to "promote" myself, and the last thing that we need is yet ANOTHER MJ tribute mix, but I spun in Calgary on the night he died... I truly felt like I had lost a friend or an uncle or something when I heard the news. I was sitting alone in my hotel room in Calgary when I turned on the TV and within the hour the news of his passing had been announced. I was shocked, dumbfounded... I guess I just kind of expected this guy to live forever or something. So that night at the club, I had a whole scripted set with hip-hop and club music and stuff, but when it was time for my set I got on stage and just told the crowd that I completely scrapped what I had planned and was just going to play NOTHING but MJ for the entire night. It might have seemed self-indulgent if you looked at it in any other context, but the night of his death it was truly the only thing that I could bring myself as a DJ to do. Thankfully, the crowd was fully down with it and went in hard with me all night long. It was a magical evening and one that I'll never forget for the rest of my career / life...

So here's my music from that night, from the mighty Hi Fi Club in Calgary. Live, unedited, unpolished, completely improvised, literally soaked in my sweat and my tears while on stage, the music of Michael Jackson

Cosmo Baker "Michael Jackson Tribute Set (Live & Uncut @ Hi Fi Club, Calgary)" (zshare Link)

Tracklist:
    The Jackson 5 "I'll Be There (Acapella)"
    The Jackson 5 "It's Your Thing"
    The Jackson 5 "Never Can Say Goodbye (Beatnik & K-Salaam Remix)"
    The Jackson 5 "2-4-6-8"
    The Jackson 5 "Maybe Tomorrow"
    Michael Jackson "We're Almost There (DJ Spinna Remix)"
    Michael Jackson "Human Nature"
    SWV "Right Here" (Human Nature Remix)"
    Nas "It Ain't Hard To Tell"
    Michael Jackson "Nature's Business (Sake1 Dancehall Refix)"
    The Jackson 5 "ABC (Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra's Justa Roots Rock Mix)"
    The Jackson 5 "ABC (Krunk-A-Aelic Party Mix)"
    Michael Jackson "You Rock My World (Trackmasters Remix feat. Jay-Z)"
    The Jackson 5 "I Want You Back (12" Remix)"
    The Jackson 5 "It's Great To Be Here (Kenny Dope Re-edit)"
    Michael Jackson "I Wanna Be Where You Are"
    The Jacksons "Enjoy Yourself"
    Michael Jackson "Baby be Mine" Michael Jackson "Another Part Of Me"
    Michael Jackson "Scream"
    Michael Jackson "Remember The Time (Acapella)"
    Michael Jackson "Remember The Time"
    The Jackson 5 "Dancing Machine (Max Hall Remix)"
    Michael Jackson "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (U-Tern Demo Re-edit)"
    The Jacksons "Blame It On The Boogie (12" Mix)"
    Michael Jackson "Burn This Disco Out"
    Michael Jackson "Rock With You"
    Michael Jackson "Say Say Say" with Paul McCartney
    Michael Jackson "Billie Jean"
    Michael Jackson "Smooth Criminal"
    Michael Jackson "Thriller"
    The Jackson 5 "The Love You Save (Sunaga 'T Experience's Asakusa S.C. '01 Mix)"
    Michael Jackson "Shake A Body (Early Demo)"
    Michael Jackson "Shake Your Body Down To The Ground"
    Rebbie Jackson "Centipede"
    Michael Jackson "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (Acapella)"
    Michael Jackson "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
    Michael Jackson & Diana Ross "Ease On Down The Road"
    Michael Jackson "Get on The Floor" (Holy Ghost Edit)
    The Jacksons "Can You Feel It"
    Michael Jackson "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (Ballroom Disco Edit)"
    Michael Jackson "Workin' Day And Night"
    Michael Jackson "Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day"
    Michael Jackson "You Can't Win"
    Michael Jackson "Off The Wall"
    The Jackson 5 "I Don't Know Why I Love You"

But I just can not take anymore MJ coverage and talk of musical influence and being the savior of music when at the time of his death he was so far from making any kind of good music and any of you who say you are down with his records after Bad are really full of it

• PBsoulsPBsouls 8 Posts
    ok fine RIP MJ
    I loved the Jackson 5 record with that tune can you feel it on it.

Someone put a track listing of all the best MJ tunes
    on the records that came after bad
    Especially focusing on his last two records
    Tune me into that genius
    Thanks for that shipment I think my MPC arrived on that boat

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't see any more reasons to respond to you, honestly. No offense.

• PBsoulsPBsouls 8 Posts
    Dude
    I am just asking to be educated on the amazing music
    I overlooked on MJ's last two records

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Please dude, just stop showing your ass in this thread. No one wants to see that.

Starting you own thread is free, and easy. Just go ahead and hit that "post" button, and do your thing to your hearts content there, because your really coming off like an asshole here.

• your really coming off like an asshole here.

that's an understatement

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Please dude, just stop showing your ass in this thread. No one wants to see that.

Starting you own thread is free, and easy. Just go ahead and hit that "post" button, and do your thing to your hearts content there, because your really coming off like an asshole here.

b/w

And wtf is the obsession with dude's last two records and how do they diminish the impact the rest of his catalog has had?

• PBsoulsPBsouls 8 Posts
    APOLOGIES TO ALL!!!!!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I loved the Jackson 5 record with that tune can you feel it on it.

Can You Feel It - is from a JACKSONS ALBUM.

The Jackson 5ive dissolved years earlier.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

b/w

And wtf is the obsession with dude's last two records and how do they diminish the impact the rest of his catalog has had?

Saying. Like Freddie Hubbard never made a few bad albums?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    LIQUID LOVE CHANGED MY LIFE

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Thanks for the mix cosmo !

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Right on dude. It's nothing. I had no choice, right? I mean, what else could have done or played that night?

Right on dude. It's nothing. I had no choice, right? I mean, what else could have done or played that night?

FREDDIE HUBBARD.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hahahahahah...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Played for the first time in a couple months the night after he passed, at a decent sized loft party my homie threw. Made the night really easy, and really memorable.

MJ all night, breaks filled in with Ayers MJ mix. Thankfully, didn't really have to deal with O-dubs "what to follow MJ with" dilemma..

Played for the first time in a couple months the night after he passed, at a decent sized loft party my homie threw. Made the night really easy, and really memorable.

MJ all night, breaks filled in with Ayers MJ mix. Thankfully, didn't really have to deal with O-dubs "what to follow MJ with" dilemma..

The correct answer would be: Prince!

• Thanks for the mix cosmo !
    Cosine. Enjoying it tremendously.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The Peanut Butter Wolf Tribute Vidz

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    rest in peace michael

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Dude
    I am just asking to be educated on the amazing music
    I overlooked on MJ's last two records

butteflies

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    All this shit is great. I saw PB wolf do his tribute thing at the echo like the weekend after it happened.

Anyways, I was watching the bashir documentary today and just getting so angry. anybody else have that experience?