Michael Jackson R.I.P. damn damn damn damn

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    not at all. we were just talking about that in the shop yesterday - nobody came in and gripped up all the JB.

But there have always been crazy MJ collectros, moreso than JB ones. And I think it's undeniable that MJ had a greater following.

I got an email off that ad talwmbout "free enterprise is the American way" and "I'm not to blame if someone else wants to spend $500 on my Michael Jackson record."

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Some sad words from Lisa Marie Presley's blog:

"He Knew.
    Years ago Michael and I were having a deep conversation about life in general.

I can't recall the exact subject matter but he may have been questioning me about the circumstances of my Fathers Death.

At some point he paused, he stared at me very intensely and he stated with an almost calm certainty, "I am afraid that I am going to end up like him, the way he did."

I promptly tried to deter him from the idea, at which point he just shrugged his shoulders and nodded almost matter of fact as if to let me know, he knew what he knew and that was kind of that.

14 years later I am sitting here watching on the news an ambulance leaves the driveway of his home, the big gates, the crowds outside the gates, the coverage, the crowds outside the hospital, the Cause of death and what may have led up to it and the memory of this conversation hit me, as did the unstoppable tears.

A predicted ending by him, by loved ones and by me, but what I didn't predict was how much it was going to hurt when it finally happened.

The person I failed to help is being transferred right now to the LA County Coroners office for his Autopsy.

All of my indifference and detachment that I worked so hard to achieve over the years has just gone into the bowels of hell and right now I am gutted.

I am going to say now what I have never said before because I want the truth out there for once.

Our relationship was not "a sham" as is being reported in the press. It was an unusual relationship yes, where two unusual people who did not live or know a "Normal life" found a connection, perhaps with some suspect timing on his part. Nonetheless, I do believe he loved me as much as he could love anyone and I loved him very much.

I wanted to "save him" I wanted to save him from the inevitable which is what has just happened.

His family and his loved ones also wanted to save him from this as well but didn't know how and this was 14 years ago. We all worried that this would be the outcome then.

At that time, In trying to save him, I almost lost myself.

He was an incredibly dynamic force and power that was not to be underestimated.
    When he used it for something good, It was the best and when he used it for something bad, It was really, REALLY bad.

Mediocrity was not a concept that would even for a second enter Michael Jackson's being or actions.

I became very ill and emotionally/ spiritually exhausted in my quest to save him from certain self-destructive behavior and from the awful vampires and leeches he would always manage to magnetize around him.

I was in over my head while trying.

I had my children to care for, I had to make a decision.

The hardest decision I have ever had to make, which was to walk away and let his fate have him, even though I desperately loved him and tried to stop or reverse it somehow.

After the Divorce, I spent a few years obsessing about him and what I could have done different, in regret.

Then I spent some angry years at the whole situation.

At some point, I truly became Indifferent, until now.

As I sit here overwhelmed with sadness, reflection and confusion at what was my biggest failure to date, watching on the news almost play by play The exact Scenario I saw happen on August 16th, 1977 happening again right now with Michael (A sight I never wanted to see again) just as he predicted, I am truly, truly gutted.

Any ill experience or words I have felt towards him in the past has just died inside of me along with him.

He was an amazing person and I am lucky to have gotten as close to him as I did and to have had the many experiences and years that we had together.

I desperately hope that he can be relieved from his pain, pressure and turmoil now.

He deserves to be free from all of that and I hope he is in a better place or will be.

I also hope that anyone else who feels they have failed to help him can be set free because he hopefully finally is.

The World is in shock but somehow he knew exactly how his fate would be played out some day more than anyone else knew, and he was right.

I really needed to say this right now, thanks for listening.

~LMP"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I bought a collection this morning with THRILLER and OFF THE WALL in it!

I am rich. RICH!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hahaha nice post JP, it really needed to be said. It's the record stores that are keepin' it real with MJs records, my local spot had someone come in who was blatantly gonna flip them on ebay as he wanted ALL of their stock of MJs lps, so they put up a sign saying 1 MJ lp max per customer.

I wonder how long the "dead bounce" for any artist can really last for.

Did this happen to James?

the James Brown bubble lasted only a few days, which Im sure the MJ bubble will only last a few days as well

• latest achewood nailed it.

also the sky thing... shit was absolutely BONKERS on friday night. everyone out on the streets looking up talking about "is this the end of the world?" and the barber next to GRNYC on some "this is a good sign, people gonna be going home and making love tonight!" (in super thick spanish accent)

caught dj spinna at sputnik on saturday. so many people, all dancing, all smiling.

my friend called me up the next day claiming the summer could end and he would be content.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    For a cartoon with talking animals, that Achewood strip was on point. It wasn't flippant (like I thought it would be), but it wasn't overtly sappy either.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    that Achewood strip was on point.

FAUX_RILLZ VINDICATED!

• the bubble has already popped in the UK, his records can easily be had for ??10-12 now, more than before, but still not the ??80-100 of just two days ago.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    j-rocc MJ mix available here

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I loved that dude. For real, he's dead and now I turn the page on everything that came before me in my life.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

i was gonna post something up about this but there were no good videos on youtube & my camera was broken this weekend so i got nothin. there were easily a thousand people there. the second line was packed at least 2-3 blocks long, and there were plenty of people on the side of the street hanging out for the whole mile long walk. Rebirth Brass Band played parts of Wanna Be Startin Something, Workin Day & Night, Rock with You, Thriller, Bad, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, I Want You Back, & ABC, then went into all the classics: Do What You Wanna, Let's Go Get Em, Cassanova, etc. Was fun. Lotta white people for a second line.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

i was gonna post something up about this but there were no good videos on youtube & my camera was broken this weekend so i got nothin. there were easily a thousand people there. the second line was packed at least 2-3 blocks long, and there were plenty of people on the side of the street hanging out for the whole mile long walk. Rebirth Brass Band played parts of Wanna Be Startin Something, Workin Day & Night, Rock with You, Thriller, Bad, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, I Want You Back, & ABC, then went into all the classics: Do What You Wanna, Let's Go Get Em, Cassanova, etc. Was fun. Lotta white people for a second line.

Now that's a tribute.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

Now that's a tribute.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/humidhaney/sets/72157620590256291/

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    To anyone who caught those Primo and J-Rocc mixes, can I request a re-up? The zshare link for the Primo mix is just effed up, and I suspect the sheer number of dl's for J-Rocc's mix may have maxed out his Mediafire account. Thanks in advance.

• the primo mix wasn't that good IMO, good selection but pretty poor blends, i suspect that he threw it together live. I didn't hear J rocc's but i wanna hear it too.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I misplaced my camera but in '92-'93 I saw Michael Jackson in Disneyland. I had just come off of Splash Mountain and stepped in line to buy the pic they take of you on the ride. I hear a HUGE commotion behind me, coming out the Splash Mountain exit, girls screaming "Oh my God!" and whatnot, bulbs flashing... Naturally, I step out of line to see what it was, caught the slightest glimpse and was like "OH SHIT!" then grabbed my camera, thrust it in the air and started snapping wildly. The mob, with MJ and security in the middle of it, walked all the way from Splash Mountain to Main Street, which is a pretty long walk.

Out of all the pictures I took, I only caught him in one. He had stepped into a door on Main Street, then paused a bit to say hello to his fans before disappearing.

That was such a rush. After that, my cousin and I, little tagbanger-lookin' ass punks, were happy as hell, skipping like schoolgirls the rest of the night.

I'll try to post the pic tomorrow.

• quick google search turned up the j rocc mix here & the DJ premier mix here

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks mario

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    thanks mario

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    A Soulstruter used to work in one of MJ's brothers studios.

Is he (or she) still around?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    A Soulstruter used to work in one of MJ's brothers studios.

Is he (or she) still around?

Where's Agent Scully's brother?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    spike reminesces...

Watch CBS Videos Online

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Erykah Badu and Roots tribute cover of "I Wanna Be Where You Are"

http://www.zshare.net/audio/620752810f163b4b/

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Nice interview from Details.com of Quincy on MJ's passing. Endearing, yet humorous and critical.

WISEGUY Q&A: QUINCY JONES' FONDEST AND WEIRDEST RECOLLECTIONS OF MICHAEL JACKSON
    The hit-making producer behind the King of Pop's rise discusses Jackson's life, death, and love of chemical peels
    By Jeff Gordinier

Q: How have you been holding up since Michael Jackson's death?
    A: Oh, man. It's surrealistic. I went to Shanghai for the movie festival over there???I took Halle Berry???and then went back to Luxembourg, and in three days I lost Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael. And Michael's thing is still surrealistic to me. I can't process it, man. I don't know how to process it. It's just unbelievable???him leaving before me. I can't believe it.

Q: How did you learn that he had died?
    A: Well, everybody in the world called me. I got 500 e-mails. I've never seen anything like it in my life. At first they said they'd taken him to the hospital, then they said he'd had a stroke or a heart attack???it just kept going back and forth and we didn't know what was really happening. And at first I thought he was just kind of freaked out by the coming concerts, because I was in London when they announced the 50 concerts and they sold out in four hours. . . We'd see each other all the time, and I just can't believe he's not here.

Q: Have you been crying?
    A: Oh, man, it's more than that. It's way more than that. It hurts my soul, man. It's just a lump down there.

Q: You were there to witness the strange evolution in Michael's appearance. Did you ever step in and saying anything about it?
    A: Oh, we talked about it all the time. But he'd come up with, "Man, I promise you I have this disease," and so forth, and "I have a blister on my lungs," and all that kind of b.s. It's hard, because Michael's a Virgo, man???he's very set in his ways. You can't talk him out of it. Chemical peels and all that stuff.

Q: Did you believe him about the disease?
    A: I don't believe in any of that bullshit, no. No. Never. I've been around junkies and stuff all my life. I've heard every excuse. It's like smokers???"I only smoke when I drink" and all that stuff. But it's bullshit. You're justifying something that's destructive to your existence. It's crazy. I mean, I came up with Ray Charles, man. You know, nobody gonna pull no wool over my eyes. He did heroin 20 years! Come on. And black coffee and gin for 40 years. But when he called me to come over to see him when he was in the hospital on his way out, man, he had emphysema, hepatitis C, cirrhosis of the liver, and five malignant tumors. Please, man! I've been around this all my life. So it's hard for somebody to pull the wool over my eyes. But when somebody's hell-bent on it, you can't stop 'em.

Q: But it must've been so disturbing to see Michael's face turn into what it turned into.
    A: It's ridiculous, man! Chemical peels and all of it. And I don't understand it. But he obviously didn't want to be black.

Q: Is that what it was?
    A: Well, what do you think? You see his kids?

Q: Did you ever discuss it? Did you ever ask, "Michael, don't you want to be a black man?"
    A: No, no, no, please. That's not the way you do it.

Q: But he was beautiful before?
    A: Man, he was the most gorgeous guy.

Q: But he seemed to have some deep-seated issue with how he looked?
    A: Well, that comes about a certain way. I'm not sure how it happens. I'm just a musician and a record producer. I'm not a psychiatrist. I don't understand all that stuff. We all got problems. But there's a great book out called Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart. Did you see that? That book says the statute of limitations has expired on all childhood traumas. Get your stuff together and get on with your life, man. Stop whinin' about what's wrong, because everybody's had a rough time, in one way or another.

Q: I've heard you say that you wanted Michael to sing "She's Out of My Life," the great pop ballad from Off the Wall, in part because you felt like he had to deal with reality.
    A: I just wanted to hear him deal with a romantic relationship with a human being rather than a rat. I'm saying that facetiously, but it's true. I saw him at the Oscars very emotional about "Ben." I wanted to hear him get in touch with a real human relationship. "She's Out of My Life" was written by Tommy Bahler from a very bad ending to a marriage. So it was very real. I was saving it for Sinatra. But I gave it to Michael. And Michael cried during every take, and I left the tears in.

Q: It's interesting you mention this, because I was just watching a clip on YouTube where you're sitting on a couch with Michael and he's petting a snake the whole time.
    A: Oh, I remember that. Yeah, that was Muscles.

Q: Muscles?
    A: Muscles. That's a big boa constrictor he had. Muscles used to wrap around my leg in a record session and crawl across the console. I was never comfortable with that. It was a choice between that and Bubbles???you know, the chimp.

Q: Did you ever meet Bubbles?
    A: Are you kidding me? He bit a hole in my daughter's hand! Rashida's hand. Rashida Jones???did you see I Love You, Man? That's my daughter. She was a little girl. And Bubbles bit her hand. Michael used to bring Muscles and Bubbles by the house all the time, you know.

Q: What did you think of that? Wasn't that a little weird?
    A: I don't know, man. Everybody does his own thing. I've met every freak in the business. Everybody has their idiosyncrasies. I try not to judge it, you know. I know all women are junkies for little dogs and bags and purses. Ha ha ha ha!

Q: At root, what do you think killed Michael Jackson?
    A: I don't know, man. I'm a musician. I'm not a psychiatrist. I would think that the pressure of the concerts and the debt and everything else . . . look, I've been in the hands of Nobel doctors for the last five years, in Stockholm, at the Karolinska hospital, which you can't even pay to get in. I've learned so much about the human mind and the body, and the doctors talk all the time about how you become your thoughts. It's true. With one thought it starts, you know, and if you sit there and just stay hung up on one negative thought, you will become that thought. I know that Lisa Marie Presley said that she always thought he was going to die like Elvis. You sit and think about that stuff, it'll happen to you. If you start thinking about darkness instead of light, or fear instead of love, you'll get in trouble. I really believe that.

Q: With so many people asking you about Michael Jackson, is it hard to find the private space in which to mourn his death?
    A: Yes, it is. It's surrealistic. I don't know how to process it at all. Because everybody's reacting to it, and making up their own answers.

Q: You've said that you don't attend funerals anymore because you've lost so many friends. Do you plan to attend Michael Jackson's funeral?
    A: No, not at all, not at all. Because it's going to be, like, 9 million people there, and it's not what I want to see.

Q: You're not going to be there?
    A: No. I can't be there, anyway. I'm going to Wales the day after tomorrow, I go to Montreux, I go to Marbella, I go to the south of France. My condolences and love I've already sent to the family. But being there with 10 million people is not my idea of a tribute to somebody you were so close to???who's got a part of your soul. Our souls were joined, you know. And a piece of it goes with him.

Fucked up interview. F*ck details.com.

Not one question about music.

F*ck that.

Quincy Jones?
    Talking about Michael Jackson?
    You can't ask one question about music, dance, production?

F*ck them.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There was ONE question about music, in regards to "She's Out of My Life." Stop exaggerating!

There was ONE question about music, in regards to "She's Out of My Life." Stop exaggerating!

Your right. And I still like phongone.

Years and years ago I read an interview with the Band, or probably Robertson, in Rolling Stone. This was back in the 70s. They kept badgering him about Bob Dylan.
    What was Bob's stance on Vietnam?
    Who did Bob support for President?
    What did Bob think about Watergate?
    Does Bob care about the world?

When the Band hangs with Bob, or Quincy hangs with Michael, they talk about music, life, family and dinner, not psychology, tabloids or the news.

• Very sad news.

RIP Jaco

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Very sad news.

RIP Jaco

Cursed first poast

Jaco Pastorious?