Michael Jackson R.I.P. damn damn damn damn

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I saw this on my mail providers startpage when I wanted to turn off the computer yesterday night (after playing rummy and getting wasted for a few hours). After checking at a trustable news source I put on the P.Y.T. 45 loud and had a shot of strong bavarian herbal liqour to his farewell.

I was never a fanatic but BAD was my first popmusic record ever. I love his J5 stuff and the classic Quincy albums but wasn't follwing anything after BAD.
    I'm not freaking out over his death but I wish he could have led a much happier life. Seeing pictures of MJ in the last years was tragic and scary at the same time. I hope he's well where he is now.

The statement of somebody saying "he was the last superstar that wasn't forced upon us" was pretty much on point.

R.I.P. - We don't stop and we're never getting enough.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Back from the PB wolf tribute thing at the echoplex and still pretty fucked up about this. Honestly I didnt really expect to get as emotional as I did hearing all those songs tonight.

In recent years its been too easy to look at him like a circus freak or something, but in the wake of his passing it all comes together and you can see the whole measure of his life.

I have never really felt an artist's death like I felt Michael's today. A giant part of my childhood died.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    way too young...i was expecting him to make music,headlines (and tabloids) well into the 21st century. MJ was really the king of music throughout my entire life, without letting up. i remember taping all the hits from thriller off the radio in 2nd grade and the kids in elementary school trying to moonwalk.

i was at the park playing ball. between games, on the phone, my friend told me and i said "WHAAAAT?" real loud and the whole court looked at me. all i could do was shake my head.

no ones gonna live such a unique life or leave behind such a legacy. RIP

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    RIP for real. I have a lot of fond memories to Michael's music. I remember highly anticipating his videos to see what he was going to do next. My sister and I wore out the Bad cassette, its the only cassette we ever had to buy another copy of because of playing it so much. I never thought a celebrity death would affect me this much, but like its been said many times its just a personal connection to the music. 18 #1 hits and they all pretty much stand up today. RIP to The King Pop.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I honestly never even thought about a world without Michael Jackson in it. To loosely quote one of Elvis' close associates upon word of his death back in '77:
    "It's like someone told me there won't be any cheeseburgers anymore."

MJ was a giant, a genius, a mad scientist, and it just seems weird that he is no more. Tragic day.

• I honestly never even thought about a world without Michael Jackson in it. To loosely quote one of Elvis' close associates upon word of his death back in '77:

MJ was a giant, a genius, a mad scientist, and it just seems weird that he is no more. Tragic day.

It's weird for me, since - due in large part to my age - my MJ focus has always been Jackson 5 related. His passing has made me look past all the strangeness and realize how much good music he made as an adult.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

but now that he's dead it feels like my childhood michael jackson died, even though maybe that MJ died a long time ago anyways.

First response was along the lines of MJ can't die, partly because of just how big he was. MJ re-wrote the rules on stardom. Then there's the fact that with all that surgery, the world didn't get to watch it's brightest star grow old, he just got weirder. It's still a shock to think he was 50 as he never seemed to pass his mid 30s. I guess he was just papering over some cracks that went to the core.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I honestly never even thought about a world without Michael Jackson in it. To loosely quote one of Elvis' close associates upon word of his death back in '77:

It's weird for me, since - due in large part to my age - my MJ focus has always been Jackson 5 related. His passing has made me look past all the strangeness and realize how much good music he made as an adult.

If there have been more air-tight grooves created than Thriller and Off the Wall, I haven't heard them. Ubiquitous, yes, but considering what passes for 'Top 40' now, MJ and Quincy gave the world a huge gift.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i woke up this morning actually hoping that the 24hrs news media really got it wrong in their attempt to 'make news'.

so very sad and i hope that dude rest in peace.

also, and apologies for diverting some, does anyone have any good mixes for MJ available? I would really like to listen to a good collection of his music today and i figure strutters probably have some mixes out there they might be willing to share.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    also, and apologies for diverting some, does anyone have any good mixes for MJ available? I would really like to listen to a good collection of his music today and i figure strutters probably have some mixes out there they might be willing to share.

Theres an Ayers mix from a couple months back thats supposed to be good. I haven't listened yet, but here's the link:

http://www.zshare.net/download/53748048b24e0397/

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts

Theres an Ayers mix from a couple months back thats supposed to be good. I haven't listened yet, but here's the link:

vibed with this one last night. very good.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    What a talent, what an influence, what a career...

I truly hope the man finds peace in death.

Stunned does not describe it. One of the death's I'll always remember where I was when I heard it.

co-sine everything you said here..... my friend called me and I almost hung up on him because I thought he was f*cking with me

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'm sitting here with all my J5/Jacksons/MJ mp3s shuffling, and the Rod Tempterton interview off the bonus edition of Off The Wall just came up. Nice to hear a little about those sessions as I get my brain around all this.

enjoy

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    thriller made my older brother cry cuz it was so scarey, i was bit to young to remember it, the moonwalker movie and jackson 5 stuff is i think what tuned my ears to the funk

rip to the greatest music "entertainer" of the last century.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Having just DJ'd a wedding this past Sunday, I was just thinking about that MJ effect. Whenever you drop that first MJ record of the night, whether it be a J5 classic like I Want You Back or a solo jam like Wanna Be Starting Something, you know the room is going to explode and be brought to another level and you have to have all your ducks in a row to make sure you can back it up with your next records. I can't think of any other artist that has that effect on such a wide audience of people. All ages, all backgrounds ... everyone gets down to Michael Jackson. And now that he's passed, it'll be on yet another level.

There'll never be another like him, that's for sure.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    thriller made my older brother cry cuz it was so scarey

i plead the fifth on that one....

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Still kind of stunned, to be honest. I don't mind admitting that I wept a little this morning. I've spent most of the day putting my thoughts down on my blog, and was going to repost the text here, but F*ck it.

RIP.

• It's crazy that he's passed away. his music always resonates with everyone on the dancefloor. It's a shame he never had the chance to make that final come back.

One story I have of MJ. While I was working at Sony I had a friend who was in charge of coordinating all artist in-stores. The biggest one she ran was for MJ at the Virgin Megastore. She said people were just passing out at the sight of him. He was that powerful. Just unbelievable.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Whenever you drop that first MJ record of the night, whether it be a J5 classic like I Want You Back or a solo jam like Wanna Be Starting Something, you know the room is going to explode and be brought to another level and you have to have all your ducks in a row to make sure you can back it up with your next records.[/b]

YES.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think he???s in a better place. Not heaven or anything like that, but it was a hard life and now the work is done.
    He had no one who could even begin to understand his life and I imagine it was a terribly lonely one.
    He was unhealthy for a long time and I can???t fathom the amount of medicine he had to take on a daily basis. That is no life.

Musically, I stopped being a dedicated fan after Off The Wall, but the amount of joy he brought to people???s lives, just here on the Board, is not lost on me and I think is a beautiful thing.

RIP

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    Having just DJ'd a wedding this past Sunday, I was just thinking about that MJ effect. Whenever you drop that first MJ record of the night, whether it be a J5 classic like I Want You Back or a solo jam like Wanna Be Starting Something, you know the room is going to explode and be brought to another level and you have to have all your ducks in a row to make sure you can back it up with your next records. I can't think of any other artist that has that effect on such a wide audience of people. All ages, all backgrounds ... everyone gets down to Michael Jackson. And now that he's passed, it'll be on yet another level.

There'll never be another like him, that's for sure.

so very accurate.
    i was just thinking of this having just DJ'ed a wedding and thinking about this effect. it's so powerful, i always have prince and james brown right there to support the MJ effect because nothing else can even hold him up.

how about the scene in Crooklyn when the kids are watching Soul Train and dancing and imitating the moves of the J5 doing Dancin Machine?? such power.

look at MJ here, he's just a baby but already a king:

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Thanks for this. What incredible music.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Seriously sad about this.. RIP

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    1) Look at those eBay COMPLETED lists for MJ related albums. I'm totally bewildered.

2) Me and my DJ partner did a big tribute night at the Shortstop yesterday - f*cking BLAST. Nothing like spinning three hours of J5/MJ to really get everyone touched.

3) On a serious tip...I have to say, I was certainly surprised by his death but unlike, say, when James Brown or Isaac Hayes passed away, I just have not taken this very hard, even though Jackson was only 50 - way, way, way ahead of his time.

And I was trying to figure out why it was I didn't feel sadder about it - like many, I grew up on his music too - but then I was reading this by my friend Hua and I think he totally nailed it: "Different versions of Michael Jackson had already died years ago."

In a sense, I've been mourning his death many times over the last 10-15 years. What happened yesterday created finality but it was the end of what felt like an endless and tragic degradation. If anything, then news from yesterday finally shook me out of feeling sorry for him and instead, compelled me to go back to reveling in his music instead.

• Seems like the 'strut had a serious evening last night. I saw the news & started playing records, dancing and drinking. Folks showed up & we got a little rowdy. I'll be honest & say that I was the first one down. Asleep in my chair, only to get up randomly and yell "Michael baby!" or "PYT . . . Pretty young thing."

I doubt I'm the only person with a head that feels straight out of neverland ranch this morning. Last night folks were mourning or pretending not to mourn.

Peace to all the folks sharing about their MJ reflections. For a rural kid (I grew up in the backwoods of vermont) - MJ was the epitome of hip. We'd go to the one friend's house with cable for MTV MJ hits (taped on the vcr). Demographically I'm between off the wall & thriller, but it was the old J5 that was wrecking me last night.

And how good is the Gamble & Huff "Jacksons?"

Peace also to the folks who can't get over the negative ish (KVH). I get ya. And for those of you who spent time w/ friends last night, I doubt that you didn't talk about this.

• If anything, then news from yesterday finally shook me out of feeling sorry for him [or scornful as the case may be] and instead, compelled me to go back to reveling in his music instead.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

• Obviously tragic and stunning, in that it's something you never expected to happen.

But if nothing else, this is an excuse to celebrate his catalog. The clubs should be fun this weekend.