70's 80's 90's Brit Soul/Funk/Boogie/Etc Favs

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm addicted to this thread.

I'm feeling this topic too. Added to favorite topics.

But on that note I'd like to make a general suggestion.

I have a flash content blocker installed to make pages load faster. It's just a grey area until I choose to click on it and it loads. This makes me realize how little text has actually been written in this thread and how worthless it will be in two years when half the links in all these spartan youtube replies are broken.

So, a small request:

At least write an artist/song title caption to accompany your youtube links/videos. That way this thread will still be worth going back to later. This goes for other threads with loads of youtube videos with no text whatsoever. It would also make the threads more engaging for people who have youtube blocked at work.

---

But to get back on topic...

David Bendeth "Feel The Real":

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I'm addicted to this thread. Somebody please record a brit-mixtape!

Still one of the best tracks i've ever heard.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Thx for making a quality thread guys.

Belson - Thx for posting the first light track. Goes perfect with how my day is rolling.

I'm addicted to this thread. Somebody please record a brit-mixtape!

Still one of the best tracks i've ever heard.

Yeah, great song. The 12" long version is damn fine. Too bad the 12" tends to go for some loot.

• David Bendeth "Feel The Real":

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Camelle Hinds - 'Sausalito calling'

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    D'Influence - 'Funny how things change'

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

• SoulificSoulific 103 Posts
    For I am hooked too here is some small addition:

Mascara - See You In LA

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Sorry, no youtubes available for these:

'Mariposa' >>> 'Southern Freeze' IMHO

There's about 5 great tracks on here - search, buy

Essential for the track 'Sideway Shuffle', which I note has been 'wobblied' by some remix nutter. 1974 soul boogie.

Massive at the Southport weekended when it first dropped

Fools laugh at these. Great pop cashing in on the rare groove gravy train. Disposable yet vital.

The front cover of an essential purchase for deeper connoisseurs.
    If you ask Sie Vulture nicely you also get a pin badge with it.

And as for Paul Hardcastle: it's all about the b-sides, the 12s and First Light. We used to laugh at his stuff circa 'Don't Waste My Time', but we ain't laughing now. He's the king of this genre IMO.

Camelle Hinds - 'Sausalito calling'

Wooow, how on earth did this song totally slip under my 90s radar?
    So silky. I need this 12". Mellow, mellow

Let me add these youtube vids (for you skel):

Light Of The World - Something For Nothing

In fact I was searching for this Light Of The World lp myself but couldn't find it in my crates. Maybe because I searched for Roundtrip and skipped through all these R artists. Dumb me.

Linda Lewis - Class/Style

Soulific - thanks

I couldn't find Mariposa anywhere on youtube, but then I'm not very technologically minded.

Also I'd like to see any kind of video for linda Lewis 'Sideway Shuffle' but it doesn't seem to exist.

Lew Kirton is a yankee, mayne!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Robin Jones Seven - 'Atlas'

• minimini 879 Posts

Is Index British?

Anyone know more about the group?

Hi Tension - British Hustle
    a biggie that was missed from this thread
    with the bonus beat of a young Kid Jensen intro
    He is Canadian IIRC

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Most of my faves already posted. And some new to me. But a few exceptions:

Skipworth and Turner - Thinking About Your Love

^^ Facemelt bassplaying on the whole album. I could never get the sound 100% right when I played this on my bass, and after seeing this, here's why; dhoud was coming with the Jimi Hendrix method.

Jimster - I thought videos were blocked at your work?

OK, time for Shakatak

Easier Said Than Done
    bonus last few secs of a Gillan metal mayhem track, and the one John Peel introducing

• i dunno whether this has been posted or not, but its fire anyway

It's like a guerilla war here with the internet. They block it, we find a way around it, they block it, etc... At the moment we have THE TUBE and hay is being made. In between working, of course.

Shakatak drummer is Jamie "JimP[/b]ster" Odell's dad IIRC.

I say with no shame that slap bass is that realness - but I speak of the work of Louis Johnson, Sanborn/Washington Marcus Miller stuff, Me'Shell and Larry Graham - the groovers. I give the billion-mile-an-hour solo stuff the finger-crucifix (Victor Wooten J'ACCUSE!)

I say with no shame that slap bass is that realness

On that note, and in response to the thread topic, how do people feel about early Level 42?
    I'm probably setting myself up for a clownfest, but I like tracks like "Turn It On", "Love Games" and "Starchild". There's some good grooves on those early tunes IMO. And some fun keyboard work (Wally Badarou involvement). Never was a big fan of Mark King's vocals, but for some reason I always did like Lindup's falsetto parts.

"Starchild":

I was almost going to post some L42 but the work of Mark King & co. has never sat well with the critics, and f*ck knows, we have enough of them on this site. The somewhat unfashionable muso asprirations, definitely unfashionable sci-fi inspirations, sartorial er... stance and chin-high playing style will always be opposed 180 degrees to the ankle-height plec-grinding "Musicianship" so embraced by People Who Are Really Into Music.

But WTF - I ride firm for the stuff before "World Machine". And the fact that he sings whilst he casually bats out insanely-tricky basslines gets a nod from me - IMHO he's a bloody good musician and by all accounts doesn't take himself too seriously. "Physical Presence" is the set to have if you want to dip your toe.

L42 - Love Meeting Love (Sax Version)

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Ram John Holder - 'Brixton blues'

• minimini 879 Posts

Hey Mini, if you know Pirkka from Lifesaver say hello.

• minimini 879 Posts
    I know what he looks like, but I really don??t know him.

• minimini 879 Posts