NBA FINALS '09 BATCHES

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Big Man Theory.

Ben Wallace,Illgauskas,Varejao,Joe Smith vs. Gasol,Bynum,Odom,Powell.

I think the Lakers big men are going to score way more points than the Cavs, on Orlando.

Definitely. Gasol alone is better than anything the Cavs threw at the Magic in the paint.

You guys don't understand Big Man Theory. Big Man Theory is that the NBA championship is won by the team with the most dominant Big Man. The only true exception to this theory, and it's a notable one, is the Jordan-era Bulls.

So under Big Man Theory, even with Gasol and Bynum (Odom and Powell are not Big Man), the Magic will win owing to Dwight Howard's dominance. The Cavs lost for the same reason.

What about the '04 Pistons?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Big Man Theory.

Ben Wallace,Illgauskas,Varejao,Joe Smith vs. Gasol,Bynum,Odom,Powell.

I think the Lakers big men are going to score way more points than the Cavs, on Orlando.

Definitely. Gasol alone is better than anything the Cavs threw at the Magic in the paint.

You guys don't understand Big Man Theory. Big Man Theory is that the NBA championship is won by the team with the most dominant Big Man. The only true exception to this theory, and it's a notable one, is the Jordan-era Bulls.

So under Big Man Theory, even with Gasol and Bynum (Odom and Powell are not Big Man), the Magic will win owing to Dwight Howard's dominance. The Cavs lost for the same reason.

Shaq is bigger than Hakeem, yet The Dream sonned Shaq.

A Theory isnt a Fact.

Lambier isnt bigger than Kareem Abdul Jabbar, yet The Pistons beat LA.

Having Dwight Howard doesnt guarantee a victory.

The Big Man Theory can still be challenged.

Like Shaq/Penny/Orlando, they had talent, but were inexperienced when the Finals came around. They got raped by the more balanced TEAM.

You cant tell me playing LeBron dependant offense like the Cavs prepares the Magic for the Triangle.

As much as I'd love to route for The Magic, I just dont see them winning a 7 game series against the Lakers who has homecourt advantage. And have been here before.

Of course, anything can happen due to the funky matchups.

The Lakers WHEN on their A-Game are so much more cohesive IMO than the 3 point dependant Orlando.

Jackson > Van Gundy in a 7 game series.

Orlando has some dues to pay IMO. Dudes didnt get past the second round last year.

i hope skip slaps Odoms dumb ass upside the head..

I wouldn't mind seeing that...

What makes this classic even funnier is that Rafer wasn't even one of the tougher dudes when he was playing street ball.

What makes this classic even funnier is that Rafer wasn't even one of the tougher dudes when he was playing street ball.

Uhhh....how old were u when he was killin the skreets?

The Lakers WHEN on their A-Game are so much more cohesive IMO than the 3 point dependant Orlando.

Orlando's ball movement was top notch in that Cleveland series.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    For Batmon....

A time proven theory isn't fact, but it is worth betting on.

Magic won the East without their starting PG.

Sometimes dues get paid up front (See D Wade)

While Howard doesn't rate with all of top big men of the past, he is the best in the game right now.

If the Lakers play as a team from the get go they will probably win....

If the Magic pressure the Lakers to the point where KOBE has to take over ala Lebron, Lakers lose.

And Phil Jackson is to coaching what Bill Walton is to broadcasting.

Give ANY NBA coach the teams Jackson had and every one of them has at least 6 rings.

For Batmon....

A time proven theory isn't fact, but it is worth betting on.

Magic won the East without their starting PG.

Sometimes dues get paid up front (See D Wade)

While Howard doesn't rate with all of top big men of the past, he is the best in the game right now.

If the Lakers play as a team from the get go they will probably win....

If the Magic pressure the Lakers to the point where KOBE has to take over ala Lebron, Lakers lose.

I agree w/ all that, except for the Orlando PG critique.

Turkolu handled the Ball haff the time and did so in crunch-time.

The Lakers can throw K.O.B.E and Ariza at him unlike The Cavs who used Delonte West, which didnt work.

As far as the dues, (the Miami team w/) Shaq was still capable of double teams.
    Wade was off the chart and after Erica, that Dallas team had no one in the post to score or defend.

Howard is the "Best" against the field of other Centers, but lets not get it twisted like dude's post offense is all that. If its not a dunk or from the line, u cant tell me his shit isnt mad shakey in the paint. No jump shot w/ questionable footwork. He hasnt put all the pieces together yet..IMO.

Bynum is gonna need to man up.
    Gasol cant stop Lewis and Lewis cant stop Gasol
    Ariza/Turkolu - interesting

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

the way the lakers switch on defense + their sub rotation-- you'll be seeing a lot of odom/turkoglu and odom/lewis, too.
    all those matchups will be the key to the series, imo.

kobe will get his looks, but those matchups (plus the play of the orlando bench) will really decide this series.

prediction: LAL in six. ugh.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Give ANY NBA coach the teams Jackson had and every one of them has at least 6 rings.

Bynum is gonna need to man up.

Co-sign on Bynum

Howard makes up for his offense by stopping everyone down the lane, including Gasol.

Ariza vs. Turkolu is a joke.

I'm changing to Magic in 6

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Rafer wasn't even one of the tougher dudes when he was playing street ball.

lolololol

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Why didn't Collins win a ring with the Bulls when he was coaching Jordan than?

...And Why didn't Del Harris win in LA with a better team ?

Uhhh....how old were u when he was killin the skreets?

Well I saw mixtape Vol.1 when I was around 18 or so.

Rafer wasn't even one of the tougher dudes when he was playing street ball.

lolololol

He looked pretty shook to me when Main Event stepped and his buddy Escalade had to intervene. They showed it during season 1 of street ball series on espn. I'll let you borrow it if you promise to clean my carpe diems after i wear them on thursday.

...And Why didn't Del Harris win in LA with a better team ?

Not able to manage egos (Nick the Quick, Shaq, teenage Kobe, Cedric Ceballos?)

Wade was off the chart

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    if howard's offense was better the series would be a lock (euroman softness related)
    the rotation/odom matchup is key and i hope howard limits pau's scoring
    but him and odom will be on a mission to get howard in fould trouble
    the boards will be orlando dominated

lewis and turkoglu need to play at semi god levels and the bench needs to keep up the scoring (reddick/pietrus)
    less turnovers from skip2mylou
    anthony johnson has experience
    and the x factor
    jameer nelson

orlando is 2-0 against LA with him (he was the top scorer)

Posted Jun 2 2009 7:29PM

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Orlando Magic players say Jameer Nelson will play in the NBA finals, even though the All-Star point guard and his coach remain publicly pessimistic.

Nelson participated in a full team practice Tuesday for the first time since tearing the labrum in his right shoulder Feb. 2. While Nelson and coach Stan Van Gundy still said the point guard's status won't be determined until game day, players said Nelson looked "terrific" and expect him to be on the court against the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I expect to see him out there at some point in the series," backup point guard Anthony Johnson said.

Nelson had what was then called season-ending surgery Feb. 19. Nelson's rehabilitation was supposed to take at least another two months.

Game 1 of the finals is Thursday night in Los Angeles, and healed or not, Nelson wants to play.

"I'm not saying I'm any tougher or stronger than anybody, but I've been known to do some amazing things sometimes," Nelson said Tuesday, again lobbying for playing time.

Magic general manager Otis Smith had repeatedly said Nelson will not play again this season. But he recanted his comments Monday and said a quicker recovery and the chance of winning a championship has forced him to at least take a look at Nelson

"It's still no in my mind," Smith said. "There's a very smidgen of a chance he can play."

That "smidgen" seems to be growing.

Nelson has been playing full-court games and practicing in non-contact drills for the last two weeks. Tuesday, he participated in every drill.

Players said Nelson wasn't in his All-Star form, but even not completely healthy, he was better than most NBA point guards.

"He was terrific," Magic forward Mickael Pietrus said. "Hopefully, he will play and can help us win."

Starting point guard Rafer Alston expressed similar optimism.

"I was going to try to run him ragged out there, but I didn't want to cross him over," Alston said. "He did cross me over a couple times."

The Lakers are preparing as if Nelson will play -- and for good reason.

Orlando was 2-0 against Los Angeles this season. Nelson was Orlando's leading scorer in both those games, averaging 27.5 points.

And with the Lakers' troubles guarding point guards in the postseason, they're not taking any chances.

"He's a terrific player. He's really come on a lot in the last year as a player," Lakers coach Phil Jackson. "Someone's got to play that position and we have to match whatever happens there. He has the speed and intelligence to play that position very well for that team."

Nelson has been trying to convince the Magic for a chance at playing since the playoffs began, with each round the team advances the idea -- and the talk -- of him returning growing.

For the Lakers, Nelson is just one more offensive weapon they have to worry about.

"They add another scorer," Los Angeles' Kobe Bryant said. "They have a team full of them, but he is another player you're going to have to deal with on defense."

The Magic's title hopes seemingly took a major hit after Nelson was injured. A trade-deadline deal that brought Alston from Houston largely saved the Magic's season, allowing the rotation to remain the same and Johnson to continue to provide solid play as Alston's backup.

The Magic are hoping Nelson can only add to that success.

Van Gundy, perhaps trying to keep his coaching strategy a secret, again expressed doubt Tuesday whether Nelson could seriously return for the finals. But he also said that even if Nelson doesn't play in Game 1, he could play later in the series.

"He was OK," Van Gundy said, shrugging his shoulders. "We'll have to wait until and see."

Lakers in 5

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Nelson needs to fall back. They dont need him. Alston is the better fit.

ITS ON!!!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    orlando is

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    that looks fuskin delicious.
    B4 handing it to the Lakers, lets see how both of em come out the box in Game 1.

orlando is

LeBron must be baby piss.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Nelson needs to fall back. They dont need him. Alston is the better fit.

This talk of Nelson returning seems like gamesmanship to me. Nelson played great against the Lakers in the regular season, so the Magic are suggesting he might play just to fusk with the Laker coaching staff.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Watching this in Shanghai at 9am. Commentary in Mandarin. I need Marv!

Watching this in Shanghai at 9am.

Good mornin'

Does it seem like there is any interest in the game amongst the locals?

Van Gundy in panic mode already...Nelson playing too many minutes.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Kobe in 4