NBA FINALS '09 BATCHES

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I bet portland is dumb enough to trade Oden for Bynum straight up.

WRONG! We changed management since we traded Jermaine O'Neal for Shawn Kemp straight up. (File under: worst trade ever?)

Actually O'Neal was traded for Dale Davis. Which turned out to be a crap trade but had a certain logic at the time. The Blazers had just gotten bounced from the West Coast finals by the Shaquille O'Neal led lakers. Davis had played Shaq as well as anyone can, and Jermaine was not getting playing time behind Rasheed Wallace and Brian Grant.
    Even though management has changed, the Blazers still seem a little gun-shy with trading young talent since that trade worked out so poorly. Travis Outlaw, for example, seems like a guy that they would trade but are scared he will blossom into a star for someone else.

You're right. It was Brian Grant for Shawn Kemp straight up. Although Jermaine O'Neal is a better player than Brian Grant, the trade of Grant for Kemp was just as bad, maybe worse when you consider Brian Grant's status and likability in the community.

Speaking of Brian Grant -- he has early onset Parkinson's disease. His remarks about the disease and the Portland community are here: http://trailblazerscentercourt.blogspot.com/2009/05/brian-grant-speaks-out.html

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

WRONG! We changed management since we traded Jermaine O'Neal for Shawn Kemp straight up. (File under: worst trade ever?)

Actually O'Neal was traded for Dale Davis. Which turned out to be a crap trade but had a certain logic at the time. The Blazers had just gotten bounced from the West Coast finals by the Shaquille O'Neal led lakers. Davis had played Shaq as well as anyone can, and Jermaine was not getting playing time behind Rasheed Wallace and Brian Grant.
    Even though management has changed, the Blazers still seem a little gun-shy with trading young talent since that trade worked out so poorly. Travis Outlaw, for example, seems like a guy that they would trade but are scared he will blossom into a star for someone else.

I would disagree with that. Look what the Blazers have been doing the last couple years, especially in the draft. They have been the most aggressive team in making trades and it has finally panned out for them.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I don't have anything personal against the Blazers...I just think they're still a poorly run organization..There is no such thing as buliding a championship team through the draft..If they stay with this roster going into next year it will be a big mistake..they can only sell that "future" garbage for so long

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

I would disagree with that. Look what the Blazers have been doing the last couple years, especially in the draft. They have been the most aggressive team in making trades and it has finally panned out for them.

yeah but they haven't been trading away their young talent, they've been trading to get young talent through the draft. But they are at a point now where they need to trade for some veterans and role players. And to do that they will have to trade some of their young guys. If one of Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw, Jarryd Bayless or Nicholas Batum is not moved next season they will be in a holding pattern and edpowers may (shudder) be right.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    I don't have anything personal against the Blazers...

coulda fooled me from your posts

I just think they're still a poorly run organization..There is no such thing as buliding a championship team through the draft..If they stay with this roster going into next year it will be a big mistake..

Teams develop through the cycle of the draft. Orlando sucked and then they drafted Dwight Howard and now they have put the pieces around him to be a finals contender. Cleveland sucked and then they drafted Bron Bron and now they have put the pieces around him to be a very good team. That said, once you figure out that you have key pieces from the draft it becomes time to assemble a team around them. This is the phase Portland should now be entering.

they can only sell that "future" garbage for so long

Why would you care about some garbage p.r. hype? Teams that are mediocre have to sell their fans on the future. What are they gonna say, "we suck and it looks like we will for the foreseeable future."?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I don't have anything personal against the Blazers...I just think they're still a poorly run organization..There is no such thing as buliding a championship team through the draft..If they stay with this roster going into next year it will be a big mistake..they can only sell that "future" garbage for so long

The Blazers are no longer a poorly run organization. They've been steadily improving each year since the garbage year. I agree with you that they need to do some roster tweaking in the off season, but there is no need for anything major.

Their two biggest needs are a banging forward with some offense -- a Jerome Kersey if you will -- and a consistent outside shooting threat. Maybe they could make a move for Turkoglu? His playoff performance has increased the asking price, though...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    van gundy doesn't let his pg's penetrate and dish. the offense runs through tergolu and lewis...both permiter players. not gonna work in this series. u can't play straight up half court ball and beat la.

Truth. Particularly that last line. Nice seeing you back in here Keithvanhorn.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    alston is playing well
    kobe's jumper is scary

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i knew they should have played battie earlier

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    this game is intense

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    odom disapearance
    as well as my twittering in this thread

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Skip To My Lou > Jameer "My game only translates in the regular season" Nelson

F*ck the Steve Kerr/Tom Tolbert vibe in the middle right there. Biased motherfucker.

I like Breen. I listened to him come up w/ the Nets radio broadcast.

Orlando still needs luck shots to pull shit out - NAGL.

Good Game overall.

Too much reliance on KB's playmaking in the first, second, third, and fourth, which is NAGL.

Luke had some nice minutes. Gasol was making big shots. Farmar was nice off the bench. Kobe was handling the rock way too much in this game; much more so than the first two games. Keeps the other players cold.

Too much reliance on KB's playmaking in the first, second, third, and fourth, which is NAGL.

Luke had some nice minutes. Gasol was making big shots. Farmar was nice off the bench. Kobe was handling the rock way too much in this game; much more so than the first two games. Keeps the other players cold.

Gasol has been unstoppable.

Battie needs more minutes.

The thing that seperates Jordan from all others was his intelligence....Kobe is probably more talented than Jordan,but he's dumb as a rock...He's never learned how to let the game come to him..He's very calculated and it can be painful to watch.

The Magic can't win this series outscoring The Lakers,but tonight they did suceed in making Kobe wear down

Phil is pissed...Game #4 is going to be a classic.

Kobe is probably more talented than Jordan

I hear way too many people say this. Friends and dumbass radio station call-ins alike. Talented? What the hell does that mean?

He's never learned how to let the game come to him..He's very calculated and it can be painful to watch.

This is very true. It's a double-edged sword. You live with Kobe, you die with Kobe. I thought of AI for a second when I was just taking a piss post-game. You really can't question his heart or his intent. He just tries to take over the game by himself. Kobe tried to do that this game early on, so when the Lakers needed him to close (as he's done throughout the year), he was out of gas and missing freethrows.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    The thing that separates Jordan from all others was his intelligence....Kobe is probably more talented than Jordan,but he's dumb as a rock...He's never learned how to let the game come to him..He's very calculated and it can be painful to watch.

The Magic can win this series outscoring The Fakers,but tonight they did succeed in making Kobe wear down

WORD.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    battie's high low game with howard will open up the floor for supermans offence
    i am sure he will have at least 1 good offensive game
    pietrus is a solid ass player and very smart
    lee makes up for his offensive shortcomings on defense
    it should have been anthony johnson and skip since the start of the series
    i cant beleiev i beleived in jameer turnover nelson

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Shoot an NBA Finals record 63 percent and only win by four?

:claydavisgraemlin:

Still a wrap in five?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    The thing that separates Jordan from all others was his intelligence....Kobe is probably more talented than Jordan,but he's dumb as a rock...He's never learned how to let the game come to him..He's very calculated and it can be painful to watch.

The Magic can win this series outscoring The Fakers,but tonight they did succeed in making Kobe wear down

WORD.

whether you old men want to admit it or not, the NBA is far more talented now than it was during Jordan's prime. just like everything else in the world, it has improved (from a skill perspective) with time. nba players are stronger, faster, and more skilled.

kobe is a more skilled offensive player than jordan. you are also watching him play against better and more athletic defenders than jordan had to deal with, along with better team defenders.

the fact is that EVERY nba player is highly skilled, and the fact that kobe is such a star proves his basketball iq is very high....as is his desire to win (like jordan, who was the all-time best in that category).

ss basketball iq's = not high

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

WORD.

whether you old men want to admit it or not, the NBA is far more talented now than it was during Jordan's prime. just like everything else in the world, it has improved (from a skill perspective) with time. nba players are stronger, faster, and more skilled.

kobe is a more skilled offensive player than jordan. you are also watching him play against better and more athletic defenders than jordan had to deal with, along with better team defenders.

the fact is that EVERY nba player is highly skilled, and the fact that kobe is such a star proves his basketball iq is very high....as is his desire to win (like jordan, who was the all-time best in that category).

Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell

Any one of those three would be the best big man in the game today.

b/w

This old man also thinks fundamentals > talent level.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    the NBA is far more talented now

I'm genuinely curious - by what standard of measurement is such an assessment made? And does this apply to all professional sports?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Phil is pissed...Game #4 is going to be a classic severe ass-whipping handed down by the Lakers.

The Magic shot the best percentage in finals history and just barely eked out a win, needing some uncharacteristically shitty free-throw shooting by Kobe to assist them. Lakers win game 4 for sure, possibly game 5, though I could see the Magic having one last gasp before giving up the ghost in game 6.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I love how the LA sports press is playing good cop/bad cop on the team, presumably to motivate them. Not like the Lakers had a stellar game tonight but they're making it sound as if Kobe is one day away from needing a walker to make it to the arena. I mean, I know 30/31 isn't exactly spring chicken status in the NBA but "aging star" seems to be more like a writer trying to throw down the gauntlet and inspire Kobe to drop a double nickel just to show he can.

And seriously, this cannot be overstated enough: "The Magic shot the best percentage in finals history and just barely eked out a win, needing some uncharacteristically shitty free-throw shooting by Kobe to assist them."

This game should have been a blow-out when one team is scoring SEVENTY FIVE f*cking PERCENT in the first half and they win by four? C'mon.

WORD.

Just for arguments sake.......

Alot of these super athletic dudes have ZERO fundamentals. Or they take years to develop them.

Dwight Howard can only dunk and cant secure the ball in the post on a consistant basis.
    Stoudamire cant rebound and doesnt defend.
    The whole ATLANTA TEAM is fun to watch but those cats are fuskin sloppy.

80's dudes dont jump as high??? Dont Run as fast? Dont defend as well?

JR Smith is better than JR Rider? GTFOHWTB.

I think the real question is the meaning of TALENT.

JJ Reddick > Jeff Hornack or even Craig Ehlo,Mark Price,Steve Kerr,WTF?

The new generation has been reared on the Highlight film of basketball.

It took Lebron 5 years to get a JUMP SHOT - How can one be called a KING w/ NO FUSKIN JUMP SHOT?

All that athletic shit is only one part of the puzzle.

When The NBA absorbed the ABA, the league got to see the Rick Barry's and George McGinnis'.
    Those cats were just as athletic IMO as Tracy McGrady or Vince Carter.

Chris Paul aint no NEW SHIT. I dont believe none of that HYPE.

Dork the NEW BIRD.......GTFOHWTB!! Dork is good, but he doesnt have Bird's all around game.

Ill be back..

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell

Any one of those three would be the best big man in the game today.

b/w

This old man also thinks fundamentals > talent level.

russell would not be a big man, he was 6' 9".

wilt was the most dominant player in nba history. he averaged 50 points a game one year and over 20 rebounds. one year he led the league in assists. they had to institute the 3 second rule because of him. do you seriously think he would be this dominant in today's game? the guy couldn't shoot or dribble.

kareem never had the body of a wilt, or even a hakeem. in today's game, he'd have to guard someone like kevin garnett. now compare garnett's do-it-all skills to kareem's skyhook, back to the basket, style.