Stones Throw

12346»

Comments

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    for the record I'm pretty sure I bought my copy of Donuts at JP's shop!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cosmo!

Please peep my PM. I need to respond to dude about guesting on my night. If the mix is indeed his, then I may invite him. If he's trying to pass yours off as his, then I need to check him on it.

Thanks.

I believe we need some more background on this.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    donuts changing hip hop ? maybe for 15 yr olds.

swizz beats seems to have made more of an impact.
    Swizz Beats had a big influence on Dilla at least !

i just dont like the fact pete doesnt even get 1/2 the love from the dilla fanboy base.

Let's just name the elephant in the room: If Pete Rock died way before his time, there'd be "Pete Rock changed my life" t-shirts too.
    To be fair, the guy who made the Jay Dee changed my life was wearing it at a Jay Dee gig in november 2005, a couple of month before he died.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts

I dont get how this beat is so phenomenal?

This is a favourite of mine. I pretty much love everything about this track but especially all the shit that's going on in the background.

And on the topic of if Dilla "changed your life" or not he did change mine musically and I'm not ashamed to say he did. I started getting serious about making music around the same time I discovered Jay Dee so he did have an impact on how I approached things. I'm not as influenced in that way anymore, but I still go back from time to time for inspiration.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    how old are u?

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    how old are u?

I'm 25.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I've been a fan of JAy Dee since I knew him as J. Yauncey from Pharcyde production credits. and madlib from 21 & Over.

Does that make me cool enough?

Seriously. who gives a F*ck. All this I'm more down than Dilla Fanboys just sounds desperate.

I agree since ST adopted all those Adult Swim kids their fan base looks suspect, but their original output is refreshing.

not the greatest of all time, but i don't define my world that way anyway.

Just thought I'd share.

I just think it's strange to diss a group or a label on the basis of its fans.

I was having this argument with a friend of mine - he was saying that Black Sheep's first album was a better/more influential LP than Cypress Hill's (which is sheer lunacy) and part of his argument was dependent on saying, "well, look at who Cypress' fans are? A bunch of stoners," as if that is some way to sway the argument.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That argument isn't very well thought out; said Black Sheep Rider might be asked to account for Chad-like fans of the "Choice Is Yours" remix, worn lacrosse hat turned to the back, hand raised stiffly in the air, chanting "Engine, engine number 9..."

That argument isn't very well thought out; said Black Sheep Rider might be asked to account for Chad-like fans of the "Choice Is Yours" remix, worn lacrosse hat turned to the back, hand raised stiffly in the air, chanting "Engine, engine number 9..."

Well, given that he is a Black Sheep Chad, he'd just note, "what's wrong with that?"

Shit is funny though - he is so adamant about this argument even though everyone he's tried to make it with has been like, "dude, are you insane?" I almost posted it up here but I figured there'd be no "debate". That said, I suspect a few people around here would ride for "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" > "Cypress Hill." (I'm just going to guess H---l for the hell of it).

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Well, given that he is a Black Sheep Chad, he'd just note, "what's wrong with that?"

Shit is funny though - he is so adamant about this argument even though everyone he's tried to make it with has been like, "dude, are you insane in the membrane[/b]?" I almost posted it up here but I figured there'd be no "debate". That said, I suspect a few people around here would ride for "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" > "Cypress Hill." (I'm just going to guess H---l for the hell of it).

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Self-Hating White People, smh. So what's wrong with the stoner lollapalooza dudes then? Folks act like the Cypress Hill wasn't a hood classique when it came out. Certain parties you couldn't play that record or the schitt would jump off! West coast holmeses know teh deals...

That said, I suspect a few people around here would ride for "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" > "Cypress Hill." (I'm just going to guess H---l for the hell of it).

I think it's hard to compare the two. It's not a contest for me, personally, but AWISC is a great record none the less.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I just think it's strange to diss a group or a label on the basis of its fans.

It is strange but considering people make their favorite band a part of their identity, it doesn't surprise me.

It's a cousin of hating someone for their musical taste.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Do you know the part right after that where it goes "Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up?" That part is my shit.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts