Stones Throw

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I give ST props for picking up my homie's record.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    Stones Throw has become a weak label.

The bottom has dropped out on the value of their past output, too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MADLIB-Sound-Directi...93%3A1|294%3A50

b/w

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    What hip-hop classiques did Stones Throw release?

Aside from what you personally think isn't The Unseen an example of Stones Throw releases that are considered classic? Or doesn't underground classics count?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm not on some rider shit, but seriously - if ST isn't one of the greatest imprints of our time*[/b] then tell me what is?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Aside from what you personally think isn't The Unseen an example of Stones Throw releases that are considered classic? Or doesn't underground classics count?

LOLOLOL

"Considered" by whom? Not that many people have even heard it.

Again, a cool album, but far short of classique.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm not on some rider shit, but seriously - if ST isn't one of the greatest imprints of our time*[/b] then tell me what is?

KOCH, son! ($8 per record-related!)

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    def jam

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    This all begs the question: What are some hip hop classics from the faux rillz library circa 1996-present? Bonus points if you say there are no classics, or that the question is moot because classic status is irrelevant.

In my books, the Stones Throw rap classics are Soundpieces, both Quasimotos, Donunts and Madvillain. I'll never forget the first time I heard the second Quasimoto -

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i haven't bought a stones throw record for a long time but they are still defenitley doing their thing. don't hate!

• Donunts

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    what you're sayin ain't far from truth. and I couldn't really get into that heliocentrics album - I listened to it at least 20 times and just thought it was 'ok'.
    stones throw is still a great label. they're broke as a joke right now, hopefully they'll work everything out.

how are they broke, i remember reading that some of the albums they put out sold over 100,000+ copies

for everyone one madlib record that sells big they have a hundred that sell like crap

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

In my books, the Stones Throw rap classics are Soundpieces, both Quasimotos, Donunts and Madvillain. I'll never forget the first time I heard the second Quasimoto -

im just shocked at how many people love/like/adore/etc these records. i always thought soundpieces was good but the quas was irritating and boring...

...maybe i wont go on about the others.

lets just say im not a fan but am glad people out there really like them and support the label.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Justin I'm surprised you don't like the Quasimoto joints. Just some fun stoner shit*.

*as opposed to some lonely stoner shit!

For real though I hear what Daniel is saying, but Donuts is without a doubt a record that changed the sound of rap music (for better or for worse), and is qualitatively an excellent piece of music. I don't know what else there is.

I think Stones Throw is a cool contemporary label. Drawing comparisons to Sleeping Bag isn't really working but no hatt over here.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    quas was irritating

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    what is the soulstrut opinion on Breakestra?

as per the whole "Nightmare Bands" post...

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    no hatt over here either! u r right and i don't think u can compare. still if you've ever seen the sleeping bag merch catalogue of the era, complete with bum bags and plastic macs, there might be something in it...

the debate over "classic" and what consitutes a consensus is tiresome so i'll simplify - i'm willing to bet most people on here own either Quasimoto or Madvillain or Donuts at the very least. "classic" is a dangerous term and ultimately it's a "time will tell" thing. but these are much loved and much enjoyed by many aren't they.

Right, I don't think I'm their target customer at all and I still have both Quas LPs and Donuts filed.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    the increasingly scary "dilla changed my life" fanboys who account for a massive, and largely apathetic chunk of their fanbase, is in my view partly the source of the grumbling, together with all the stoners who thought all this time they were some sort of 100% "underground hip hop" label ala early days of rawkus, now complaining at the lack of "hip hop" releases. the irony is when the likes of gary wilson were being released, they somehow didn't notice and always seemed to have a big hip hop release to keep them happy. it is this sleight of hand that made it work.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts

LOLOLOL

"Considered" by whom? Not that many people have even heard it.

Again, a cool album, but far short of classique.

I really don't wanna argue about what should and what shouldn't be considered a classic but I'm pretty confident that a lot of people regard it as such. And I remember reading that their most successful release was The Unseen so I think enough people have heard it. I'm not comparing it to anything, I'm just saying that if you would sum up the "underground classics" from the last ten or so years I think it would definitely be one of them.

Anyway. I used to be a big Stones Throw/Madlib fan around those years but not so much anymore. I do anticipate Dam Funk's album though.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i'm willing to bet most people on here own either Quasimoto or Madvillain or Donuts at the very least.

**am one of the few that owns none of those**

and jon the beats on the quas were cool but due to the annoyance of libs vocals the whole album was complete shit to me. i remember my roommates and industry folks were buggin that i hated it but i did and still do. i just think the whole project was a waste of time to buyers.

maybe we'll all have a laugh at me in 20yrs when the quas album is the "must have" for those who dont own it...

i think a lot of madlib dislike comes from that straight up shitty YNQ or whatever that crap is called. talk about bad music... oy vey! (im getting my slang ready for my ny trip)

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    "Break a number one on the pop charts, or keep it real, droppin sound like art."

oh good lord

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dudes carry too much baggage in order to even talk about Stones Throw objectively.

It starts with fringe rap fans going overboard in declaring Madlib and Doom as geniuses.

They weren't wrong in my book, just a little skewed in that...how can people who only listen to 5% of the rap music out there decide who the geniuses of the genre are?

So the just-a-little-bit-more-than-fringe rap fans started going overboard in shouting down those fringe rap fans to the point that they started attacking Stones Throw artists rather than just their overeager fringe rap fans.

Dilla usually gets a pass as he's typically earned enough respect from actual rap fans that it almost fucks off the just-a-little-bit-more-than-fringe rap fans' whole backlash game.

Yet here we've seen that game taken to its unfortunate end...with an irrational declaration of Donuts as a non-classic by someone(s) who should certainly know better.

Folks are simply far too reactionary about this ish.

Plus, may I add...fine, you don't hang out with crusty jamband hippy types. I don't know of y'all hanging out with ballers either. So there you go...on your own little island of making it up as you go along.

Same shit you are railing against.

damn man that was uncharacteristically rational

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The problem isn't Stones Throw it's the utter lack of any other independent hip-hop labels worth a damn.

• Donuts is without a doubt a record that changed the sound of rap music (for better or for worse), and is qualitatively an excellent piece of music. I don't know what else there is.
    Changed the sound of rap music, really? I love that album, don't get me wrong, but come on now.

On another note, true, they released Donuts, but Dilla was far from one of their artists. I liked the Lootpack record, and the first Quasimoto record, but to be called one of the best labels of our time for just those is ridiculous.

def jam

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Plus, may I add...fine, you don't hang out with crusty jamband hippy types. I don't know of y'all hanging out with ballers either. So there you go...on your own little island of making it up as you go along.

If one is a balleur themselves, does it matter if one hangs with balleurs?

Rap-A-Lot is the best indie label for rap, end of discussion.

If one is a balleur themselves, does it matter if one hangs with balleurs?

Although he makes it his policy to deny it, even Ro hangs with other ballers...so yes.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    can you go three posts without mentioning your personal mancrush