Stones Throw

Comments

• their first release from charizma was good imo
    the m town 7" is great still. As for the whole donuts story, its said to be a classic, but seriously, listen to it for yourselves and make your own mind up, its one of ST's best albums IMO.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    if ST isn't one of the greatest imprints of our time*[/b] then tell me what is?

I suppose it's only worth comparing indies, so...

in it's day nothing could f*ck with MoWax, and Tru-Thoughts also had an amazing spell of high calibre releases.
    Ninjatunes have been a bit hit and miss, but I have plenty on the shelf.
    Warp have been leg-end-airy in the world of quality electronica.

I like the variety of ST. I don't think any of the above UK indies ever got into re-issues for instance, and while Madlib's quality control has been non-existant, with so much output he and the label as a whole have to hit the right notes for some of the people, some of the time.

If ST have the master-tapes of Matthew Larkin Cassel to play with, while they have a decent enough stable of producers I also hope they send out invites.

Danny Breaks. Edan. Quantic. All those cats Fauz Rillz fiends for.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Which beatmakers of note did Donuts influence?

flying lotus
    jrawls
    most of the new up and coming la cats...swiffd...dibiase...
    etc etc

not a big fan, but exile seems to get a huge amount of love for the strut for making beats that to my ear are more than just inspired by the donuts sound

pete rock has gone on record saying donuts has influenced him, is he note worthy enough?

this thread wasnt about dilla any way, was about stones throw, hit and miss as they are i am glad they are around, i think they take risks many other "hip hop" labels wouldnt, which only benefits people who are willing to judge music on its merits not the genre it is filed under

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    madlibs myspace has 3 040 620 views.

dillas myspace has 3 316 846 views.

flying lotus has 2 643 699 views.

pretty insane for an upcoming producer. flying lotus will probably influence more people than dilla and madlib in the future.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    that's interesting. i wouldn't go off myspace counters, you can be triple platinum on there and still sell F*ck all in the real world

last fm scrobbles says

Madlib 3,947,425 plays (140,661 listeners)

Dilla 4,209,597 plays (92,083 listeners)

Levitating Cricket 3,243,531 plays (85,989 listeners)

pretty strong batting average, i give u that.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

eh, I dunno, Daptone...Truth & Soul?

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    All these L.A. cats are influenced by Dilla but to me they don't pull it off right. it sounds like a bunch of noise..
    Dilla's shit was offkey but it still made you nod your head. Some of this Flying Lotus b.s. isn't even good

• flying lotus will probably influence more people than dilla and madlib in the future.

If there is a God in heaven this will not happen.

b/w
    Get the f**k off my lawn.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Yet here we've seen that game taken to its unfortunate end...with an irrational declaration of Donuts as a non-classic by someone(s) who should certainly know better.

LOL, typical Shied logic.

Clearly the people who are making an extreme declaration--i.e. that the album is classique--are the ones that need to substantiate their position (which some of them are doing). Not me, the person who acknowledges its quality but thinks it falls short of classique.

An aside: my girlfriend and I listened to it together for the first time recently. She said my lack of familiarity with L.A.'s blazing downtempo local club experience precluded me from fully getting it.

It's classic one, because it was an already great producer's curtain call done from his death bed and two, it just sounds that good, period.

And faux, I think of your narrow view of what constitutes noteworthy rap is played to the fullest. Sure, the hood will ultimately trump the suburbs every day of the week within the world of hip-hop, but that doesn't mean everything not necessarily hood-oriented should be invalidated, especially by people who aren't even truly hood-oriented themselves.

In this case, maybe Donuts didn't register all that much with the block. But I've found that when people from the block actually listen to Donuts, they tend to freely recognize its greatness.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts

DUDE ARE YOU GUYS ON f*cking CRACK???!!

this thread is one of the fine examples that soulstrut is mostly full of shit. yeah that just happened.

DEF JAM: Beastie Boys, Ll Cool J, Public Enemy, Slick Rick, Redman, EPMD, Onyx

PROFILE: Run DMC, Dr. J and Mr. H, Special Ed, PRT, DJ Quik, Dana Dane

TOMMY BOY: Stetsa, De La Soul, Queen LAtifah, Digital Underground, Naughty By Nature

LOUD: Pun, Wu-Tang Clan, XZibit, Mobb Deep, Alkaholics, Raekwon

JIVE: Too $hort, Whodini, Kool Moe, Steady B, BDP, Jazy JEff and the Fresh Prince, ATCQ, D-Nice, UGK, Spice 1, KRS, SOuls Of Mischief, Keith Murray

RAP A LOT: Devin, Scarface, Geto BOys, Big Mike

Delicious Vinyl: Pharcyde, Heavies, MAsta Ace

COME ON YOU f*cking PUSSIES RAISE YOUR EXPECTATIONS OF HIP HOP

I repeat...Rap-A-Lot, end of discussion.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    The names called out are current small indies not labels started in the 80's etc. Maybe people have different ideas of "our time" and what span that encompasses. Otherwise of course all those labels would have been cited as great.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

DUDE ARE YOU GUYS ON f*cking CRACK???!!

this thread is one of the fine examples that soulstrut is mostly full of shit. yeah that just happened.

DEF JAM: Beastie Boys, Ll Cool J, Public Enemy, Slick Rick, Redman, EPMD, Onyx

PROFILE: Run DMC, Dr. J and Mr. H, Special Ed, PRT, DJ Quik, Dana Dane

TOMMY BOY: Stetsa, De La Soul, Queen LAtifah, Digital Underground, Naughty By Nature

LOUD: Pun, Wu-Tang Clan, XZibit, Mobb Deep, Alkaholics, Raekwon

JIVE: Too $hort, Whodini, Kool Moe, Steady B, BDP, Jazy JEff and the Fresh Prince, ATCQ, D-Nice, UGK, Spice 1, KRS, SOuls Of Mischief, Keith Murray

RAP A LOT: Devin, Scarface, Geto BOys, Big Mike

Delicious Vinyl: Pharcyde, Heavies, MAsta Ace

COME ON YOU f*cking PUSSIES RAISE YOUR EXPECTATIONS OF HIP HOP

I fully agree and endorse this, but with exception of Def Jam and maybe Rap-A-Lot, which ones of those imprints are still current and somewhat relevant?

Not really trying to be Mr. Stones Throw apologist up on here but for what it is, it's a very important label and should be thought of as one of the greats of our time. Came out in the mid 90s and quickly established as an important west coast indie, weathered the storm in which all the other labels of the mid 90s / early 00s indie explosion crumbled, solidified a sound, a brand, a fan base...

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    I assume our time to mean our lifetime, as it usually does.

regardless of when these labels started they released music that really did change the course of hip hop and have gold and the wall to prove it. Def JAm started small just like everyone else. Read Raisin' Hell.

I'm not saying Stone's Throw shouldn't be on that list, quit the contrary i think they are one of the greats and should be commended for what they have accomplished.
    But at the same time people shouldn't lose sight of the big picture.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

R.I.F.

And yes, it is of ALL TIME but let me ask, are they still releasing music?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I assume our time to mean our lifetime, as it usually does.

regardless of when these labels started they released music that really did change the course of hip hop and have gold and the wall to prove it. Def JAm started small just like everyone else. Read Raisin' Hell.

Semantics I guess, and yeah dude I agree with you Def Jam is the greatest label of all time IMO. I'm just saying I don't see why people shit all over ST when I think what they've done, and continue to do, is really valid...

... I don't even really like the music all that much. Few and far between.

And as for the NEXT label that's going to release music that changes the course of hip-hop, I don't think any of us are going to see that for a while. Build and destroy, straight up.

R.I.F.

And yes, it is of ALL TIME but let me ask, are they still releasing music?

Are you kidding?

Within very recent years, each of Pimp C, Bun B, Devin, Z-Ro, Trae, ABN, Juvenile, and Partners n Crime have had albums come out on RAL.

Z-Ro is still on their roster.

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    flying lotus will probably influence more people than dilla and madlib in the future.

If there is a God in heaven this will not happen.

b/w
    Get the f**k off my lawn.
    I don't think there's any producer out there now that's on Dillas level, definately not Madlib or Lotus. I will say that Karriem Riggins comes up with some original shit though (probabely because he's a drummer and knows his way around the standard boombap shit)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I feel like Stones throw is a young label. I hope they continue to do what they're doing.

I appreciate there exthetic, and the projects they choose to be involved in.

I'm on a wait and see basis with there releases.

...but so far I'm

- spidey

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    incredible thread

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I appreciate there exthetic

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Endtroducing > Donuts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I ride for Stones Throw, but G.O.A.T. talk is silly.

• I appreciate there exthetic

holy shit this is funny

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    ha.. "aesthetic"

Sorry.. I'm actually working on the website for exthetics.com for work. simple typo.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

Goes well with expresso.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Endtroducing > Donuts

Wow...this is a

in and of itself.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Goes well with expresso.

Coffee shop sign I like:

"Espresso - $1.00/shot

Expresso - $2.50/shot"

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts

Goes well with expresso.

Coffee shop sign I like:

"Espresso - $1.00/shot

Expresso - $2.50/shot"
    Funny thing, we (Dam, PB Wof & me) just Deejayed a coffee shop (Intelligentsia) opening in Venice.
    Stones Throw = Coffee crowd
    Def Jam = ???? (fill in the blank)