Stones Throw

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Stones Throw has become a weak label. The only things that i have enjoyed in the last couple years are Heliocentrics and Mayer Hawthorne - Just Ain't Gonna Work Out . It seems like they let Madlib put out whatever he want's and i feel that alot of his music sounds the same.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Oh great, now Gary's going to have to ban this guy and then Hemol will have to unban him.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Stones Throw has become a weak label. The only things that i have enjoyed in the last couple years are Heliocentrics and Mayer Hawthorne - Just Ain't Gonna Work Out . It seems like they let Madlib put out whatever he want's and i feel that alot of his music sounds the same.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Oh great, now Gary's going to have to ban this guy and then Hemol will have to unban him.

Whoever the east-coast equivalent of Madlib is, he's less of a sellout than Madlib.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what you're sayin ain't far from truth. and I couldn't really get into that heliocentrics album - I listened to it at least 20 times and just thought it was 'ok'.
    stones throw is still a great label. they're broke as a joke right now, hopefully they'll work everything out.

• i disagree, they just posted here that they are going to do something with matthew larkin cassells back catalogue, i don't care much for their hip hop side anymore so i haven't heard any of that stuff to comment on it.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Dam Funk is that dude and his joints are...........

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Stones Throw has become a weak label.

The bottom has dropped out on the value of their past output, too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MADLIB-Sound-Directi...93%3A1|294%3A50

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Dam Funk is that dude and his joints are...........

I just spoke with Dam about his album and he said they are putting it out as a 5 disc box set. Also, he was recently contacted by Q-Tip who might be on the album. His music deserves this kind of release and attention.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    any SS beatmakers participate in the ST message board beat battles, looks like they've been going at it for quite a while..

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

Whoever the east-coast equivalent of Madlib is, he's less of a sellout than Madlib.

How can MF Doom be less of a sellout than the dude he did an album with?

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts
    Oxperiment had some real dope tracks....i guess thats been out for a minute now

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

How can MF Doom be less of a sellout than the dude he did an album with?

You just blew my mind.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Stones Throw is one of the greatest record labels of our time.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to add

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

• Stones Throw is one of the greatest record labels of our time.

I completely agree. If anything they have gotten over the "madlib hump" and are really getting into releasing some interesting music. Mayer Hawthorne, Savath & Savalas, Lee Fields, James Pants, Dam-Funk, Dilla, Koushik, Heliocentrics, Omar Rodriguez are just to name a few... Serious dopeness..

• analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
    what you're sayin ain't far from truth. and I couldn't really get into that heliocentrics album - I listened to it at least 20 times and just thought it was 'ok'.
    stones throw is still a great label. they're broke as a joke right now, hopefully they'll work everything out.

how are they broke, i remember reading that some of the albums they put out sold over 100,000+ copies

• GnarliamentGnarliament 375 Posts

I completely agree. If anything they have gotten over the "madlib hump" and are really getting into releasing some interesting music. Mayer Hawthorne, Savath & Savalas, Lee Fields, James Pants, Dam-Funk, Dilla, Koushik, Heliocentrics, Omar Rodriguez are just to name a few... Serious dopeness..

Especially with James Pants. I might not like everything they put out, but what I do like I REALLY like.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    ^ Exactly, one thing they should be commended for is their diversity.

• Options
    Stones Throw is one of the greatest real good record labels of our time.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    ^ Exactly, one thing they should be commended for is their diversity.

For real. I don't like everything they put out. They definitely gave madlib too much of a free reign and Roc C's album put me to sleep. But when they hit they hit. Charisma, Dam Funk, Aloe Black. Not mention they did put out Donuts

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    i think they're one of the most misunderstood labels of all time. they're more like sleeping bag records really aren't they. i respect the fact they are pushing new artists and always breaking their own mold, as disorientating as that might be for their core audience.

i was at the heliocentrics & mulatu show last night and the quality of the live show was just incredible. a phenomenal band and even much better than i expected.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    they're more like sleeping bag records really aren't they.

chuckle

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    true, i suppose mentioning a canonical label in that kind of comparison will always get the purist's heckles up. truthfully u can't compare across eras, but i guess i was looking for a label with that degree of influence, that released a few hip hop classics but also fucked with some weird shit. and had a sense of humour. feel free to demonstrate how much larger your e-penis is by outdoing me.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    true, i suppose mentioning a canonical label in that kind of comparison will always get the purist's heckles up. truthfully u can't compare across eras, but i guess i was looking for a label with that degree of influence, that released a few hip hop classics but also fucked with some weird shit. and had a sense of humour.

What hip-hop classiques did Stones Throw release?

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    joel from tropicalia is doing a release comp with them now, fuzz banana is the name, should be great.

'science class' though, pretty boring recent comp. i listened to it with tripledouble going to a flea market when it was first sent to me and we both nearly fell asleep. but it was also very early and freezing.

Donuts.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Donuts.

Over-ruled

It's a cool record though

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Donuts.

Over-ruled

bleh... like most of his ST tracks.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Of all the indie labels that got their start in the 1990s, ST's catalog rivals anything else I can think of in terms of overall diversity and consistency. Was their sound for everyone? Nah but between their conventional hip-hop, they've also done a great job with reissues and compilations.

You don't have to like their music but I think what they've accomplished is more than worthy of respect.

Donuts.

Over-ruled

You're bugging.