New Dangermouse (creative FU or dbaggery?)

SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
The new Dangermouse album, due to some dispute with his record label will be released as a blank CD-R and then everyone who buys it will be encouraged to download the album via P2P networks. So basically what is being sold is the artwork and linernotes. This seems kind of creative to me. And also kind of pissy. I can't decide. The music itself looks like a hipster-orgy-nightmare of guest artists (including Sparklehorse, The Shins, The Flaming Lips, Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals, Jason Lytle of Grandaddy, Julian Casablancas of The Strokes, Frank Black of the Pixies, Iggy Pop, Nina Persson of The Cardigans, Suzanne Vega, Vic Chesnutt, David Lynch, and Scott Spillane of Neutral Milk Hotel and The Gerbils.)What think you strut? Is he making a creative and daring statement, or throwing a typical well-paid artist hissy fit?

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Why would one want to own the blank CD?

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Why would one want to own the blank CD?

A spokesperson for the producer said: "Danger Mouse remains hugely proud of Dark Night of the Soul and hopes that people lucky enough to hear the music, by whatever means, are as excited by it as he is."

He added that the album, which comes with a limited edition, "100+ page book" of David Lynch photographs inspired by the music "will now come with a blank, recordable CD-R".

"All copies will be clearly labelled: 'For Legal Reasons, enclosed CD-R contains no music. Use it as you will.'"

I think he just wants people to participate in his statement. Or it is for David Lynch fans?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Why would one want to own a Dangermouse CD?

• He added that the album, which comes with a limited edition, "100+ page book" of David Lynch photographs inspired by the music "will now come with a blank, recordable CD-R".
    God, I'm so tired of this hipster schitt...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

This is the real question. Everything about this album sounds NAGLicious.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Im a fan of "packaging"...no ayo, but w/ downloads why even fusk w/ a book of photos and a fuskin CD-R?

Just put the damn Lynch photos on the website along w/ the download.

In the attempt to be hip dude-n-them are actually quite up-hip.

• retroretro 33 Posts
    next step is the blank vinyl release.. or maybe I'm late on that

yeah, buy the LP and than download it as an mp3.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    ha, and the blank cd costs $50 bucks with the ltd packaging, I read about this on npr and snagged the album off some blog, I have not even gave it a full listen

the NPR dudes are gushing over the album though.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

and i thought i was the only one that thought this dude was totally over-rated

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

and i thought i was the only one that thought this dude was totally over-rated

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    To me, the more "guest stars" on an album the more it sucks, pretty much w/out exception.

• Options

He added that the album, which comes with a limited edition, "100+ page book" of David Lynch photographs inspired by the music "will now come with a blank, recordable CD-R".
    God, I'm so tired of this hipster schitt...

I agree that this is on some hipster schitt, but since everyone is downloading music for free these days, maybe this is an industry "reaction" to it--adding "value" in the form of David Lynch crap, etc.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    So weird soulstrut, it's almost as if you guys didn't listen to the album on the merit of what is before you judged it. How you gonna hatt without listening to the record?

Granted this project is pretty much standard indie rock fair. Dangermouse and Sparklehorse using different vocalists wth moody songs targeting different ranges of hipster. The last track with David lynch singing is actually a pretty f*cking good dark song based on a crackly loop.

Sounds like the album got fucked on its release by the label so he's releasing a blank cd as a statement to the people to bootleg it anyway. I think it could've had moderate success with a proper release for sure.

I'm no dangermouse fan, but gotta give it up for musicians trying to do something different to make a buck in 2009. Seriously.

- spidey

• GnarliamentGnarliament 375 Posts
    I've always liked most of his stuff, especially Demon Days. Some of what he's done has been pretty mediocre, but Im gonna download this album before I hate.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So weird soulstrut, it's almost as if you guys didn't listen to the album on the merit of what is before you judged it. How you gonna hatt without listening to the record?

I'm not feelin the "gimmick", regardless of the music.

I think that what the og post was about.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

This is genius.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Why would anyone listen to a dangermouse album?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    How you gonna hatt without listening to the record?

Well, giving it a chance wouldn't be very soulstrutish. Would it?

• Well, giving it a chance wouldn't be very soulstrutish. Would it?
    Why should anyone keep giving chances to artists who've proven time and time again that their creative output generally sucks? David Lynch photo's certainly don't give me a reason to.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Well, giving it a chance wouldn't be very soulstrutish. Would it?
    Why should anyone keep giving chances to artists who've proven time and time again that their creative output generally sucks? David Lynch photo's certainly don't give me a reason to.

I heard the Super Limited Edition Version comes in a wool knit jewelcase cozy by Quentin Tarantino.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    whats that ChinoXL line again?

"I seen your cd in the dollar bin, whats up, blank cd's cost a dollar 50... you would have made more money if you'd just shut the F*ck up...."

Smells like a media stunt to me, with record label complicity, there is no way they would do all the work and just drop a blank cd (they should make it a CD-RW at least...). But its an original idea at least, and great for these cyber times.... will anyone buy the cd?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Sorry to hear that the dude got did by his record label, but this is no way to respond. If this record were released with standard artwork, there is a reasonable chance I would buy it. I've enjoyed Danger Mouse for a while (does that make me crazy? probably...) but in this format, there's just no way. See also that Mos Def CD that Geffen actually released with no artwork, to no acclaim and all the economic force of a flatus (no sbd).

This could be a career killing move.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Who's funding it then? Thats the real issue for me.
    If the Record company aint behind this, if it is indeed a 'f.u' directed at the label, is Dangermouse funding it himself? If so, then thats a pretty pricey statement to make....

I got a feeling its just pre album launch hype, or the company done the number crunching at figured it costs less doing it this way...

• Options

b/w