Quitting smoking

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    You guys are zee best. Day 3 is almost over and wasn't as bad as the first two. I went and got some nicotine gum, that Allen Carr book and have been eating like a pregnant lady (about to trade that for the treadmill), but it's all helping out.
    I smoked for about 12 years and this is the first time I've ever really tried to quit. I don't know what happened. I just woke up on Monday with no cigarettes and thought "I'm done.".

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you posted. Drinking is gonna be the real test...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Here's some more encouragement from the Big Ticket.

• Options
    Drinking is gonna be the real test...

But you'll pass.

• You can do it Day!

I haven't had a smoke in 22 days, and I was pretty heavy smoker (pack a day). It started with me getting sick - I just couldn't smoke, it hurt so bad. So after I got better I said hey, let's try to quit again for the 20th time. Knowing that most people tend to gain weight I decided then and there to start using my gym membership. Lots of cardio, some weights. Well, 22 days later and I haven't had a smoke and I'm almost 20 pounds lighter. It's kinda crazy. Every now and then I'll put on a nicotine patch, but I don't think I really need it any more. During nic fits I remind myself how angry I'll be at myself if I have one. I've been there before and that feeling sucks. I also do not miss the taste at ALL.

Really I've just made an overall effort to live healthier. I'm watching what I eat, not drinking too much, walking up stairs instead of taking the elevator, etc. Be sure to drink lots of water, that really helps. And chewing gum, or even sunflower seeds.

GOOD LUCK DUDE.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I chain smoked 2 packs of Newports while on amphetamines. That killed my craving. It's been over 12 years and I can't imagine smoking again. It's a dirty habit. I can't believe people still do it. It's 2009 already.

Not to sound like an asshole.

Good luck and stick with it. You wont regret it and neither will the people around you.

BTW, why do smokers think it's OK to litter their butts all over the place, like the world is their ash tray? I seriously wanna punch a smoker in the face when I see that. I smoked for ten years and I just put the butts i my pocket. F*ck killing baby birds with nicotine laced cotton.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Keep it up Day. It's no cake walk, but it's the best thing you can do for your family.

Channel that angry energy into making some more straight musical fire!

Stay strong,
    JRoot

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I have not smoked in about 5 years. Before that I had been smoking for 7. I still have occasional cravings, but a healthy fear of my wife kicking my ass keeps those in check. We quit at the same time and I would be equally pissed at her if she smoked.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    Good luck! I smoked a pack-a-day from age 15 and didn't quit until I was 30. Definitely the biggest regret of my life. My father has chronic CPOD, is on oxygen, and can barely walk. He is only 60 years old. I have a 2-year-old son and I don't want to be a walking corpse when he gets to college.

I tried to quit many times, but seemed to always relapse. I think good advice is to remove yourself from any social situation that involves smoking and to quit drinking, if only temporarily. A lot of people relapse after a few drinks. I quit both tobacco and alcohol at the same time.

On the upside, the money I've saved ... probably 10,000 + over the last 7 years ... has bought me some nice raers!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm actually trying to quit now and taking Chantix. I'm good all day, but once I get a drink in me, I'm going to smoke part-time throughout my vacation, then deal with the horror show that is withdrawal.

The bitch about withdrawal is that you're just not getting enough of the neurotransmitters that maintain emotional well-being. To take the edge off, you have to do things that boost the levels of those neurotransmitters. Heavy exercise is good, because the adrenaline and endorphins elevate neurotransmitter release. Some psychoactive drugs also work fairly well. I've heard Valium really helps with the irritability.

• alcohol is my gateway drug

seriously though, im gonna quit smoking again soon, maybe today!

• oh yeah, its cool to tell your friends youre quiting but the ones that still smoke want to see you FAIL.
    F*ck those guys and stay strong day!

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    Think I'm gonna look for that book today at borders. Been smoking for 8 years and never tried to quit officially but lately it's been getting worse. Meaning if I'm not at work or sleeping I'm smoking. The times when I run out of cigs and I don't have a reason go to the store I'm fine. But as soon as I get to a gas station it's over. Just knowing that the cigarettes are in there I have to go in and get some.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    You guys are zee best. Day 3 is almost over and wasn't as bad as the first two. I went and got some nicotine gum, that Allen Carr book and have been eating like a pregnant lady (about to trade that for the treadmill), but it's all helping out.
    I smoked for about 12 years and this is the first time I've ever really tried to quit. I don't know what happened. I just woke up on Monday with no cigarettes and thought "I'm done.".

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you posted. Drinking is gonna be the real test...

good for you man. i just quit three days ago too...stay strong. how many cigarettes were you smoking a day when you quit ? I was at about 12-14...cold turkey is the way to go definitely.

i am using the patch and it seems to work better than the nicotine gum. also exercise and suck on lozenges or toothpicks...you need to break the conditioning associated with smoking. i have heard that the opiates released when you do strenious exercise is a good substitute for nicotine. i mean if you don't regularly exercise don't try to do too much too quickly but just take a long walk daily (i've been playing pick up ball for the first time in 10 years).

avoid smoking people, and avoid alcohal. i'm half way done with my third day and it seems to be getting better. i hope we can do this! i'm actually really glad you are doing this...you're giving me willpower strength.

i have quit before 10 years ago for 3 years...then started up for the last seven...i'm done with this shit for good though, i don't know why i ever started up again.

cigarettes suck and this fucker got rich off smokers:

• dayday 9,612 Posts

good for you man. i just quit three days ago too...stay strong. how many cigarettes were you smoking a day when you quit ? I was at about 12-14...cold turkey is the way to go definitely.

i am using the patch and it seems to work better than the nicotine gum. also exercise and suck on lozenges or toothpicks...you need to break the conditioning associated with smoking. i have heard that the opiates released when you do strenious exercise is a good substitute for nicotine. i mean if you don't regularly exercise don't try to do too much too quickly but just take a long walk daily (i've been playing pick up ball for the first time in 10 years).

avoid smoking people, and avoid alcohal. i'm half way done with my third day and it seems to be getting better. i hope we can do this! i'm actually really glad you are doing this...you're giving me willpower strength.

i have quit before 10 years ago for 3 years...then started up for the last seven...i'm done with this shit for good though, i don't know why i ever started up again.

cigarettes suck and this fucker got rich off smokers:

Yo! For real, get that Allen Carr book that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Every time I get the urge I read. I was up to about a pack a day and it really puts in perspective how stupid smoking is. Both of my parents smoked my whole life and I don't want to set that example for my own children.
    I'm done with day four and while the last half was pretty shitty, I pulled through. Just thinking about going through this is enough to make me never want to smoke again. Shit is almost like breaking up with a longtime girlfriend. I can't explain it, but it's definitely bugged out. Anyway, I haven't been around anyone who smokes, but I did finally drink tonight with no problem. Good luck with your quitting. Let's keep this thread moving. It's been a help for me. I've also found that telling everyone you know that you quit will help solidify the fact in your mind (and help shame you if you fail ).

P.S. - Peace to Einstein! Dude has been like a coach thru this whole thing. He has definitely helped me keep perspective. Thanks and respect.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    i hope we can do this!

Brother, we can and WILL DO THIS![/b]

• ageage 1,131 Posts

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Very proud of you and everybody else trying to kick it. GO ON MY SON!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Day 5 - no nicotine gum, just exercise and the book. The f*cking BOOOOOOOOOK! Man, every single person who wants to quit needs to read this book. Incredible how dude breaks it all down.

Out of 513 people, 451 gave it 5 stars. Shit is real, sahn!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I see late night early A.M. SS posting in Day's future.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I found it hard to enjoy coffee w/out a smoke. I thought they went so well together. It really doesn't. Coffee is way better without the smoke.

Keep it up Day and I'll pass along word of the book to my smoking people.

Got the book and flipped through the first few pages while waiting for my pops. First impression on the first few pages is that he makes it seem like the process is so simple. I'm anticipating reading the rest of the book over the next few days. Or maybe stay home tonight and read it. Damn...

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Since I've quit smoking I've developed much more of a taste for finer things like wine & tea. I've found I'm much more in tune with my body these days, and feel much healthier.

Good luck, Day. Stick with it and you won't have any regrets. Not sure how old your kids are but I know I have a much clearer conscience now that I don't smoke.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I've also been trying to quit. Went 3 weeks and slipped up on Cinco De Mayo. From what I've read physical effects are gone after 3 days. It's all mental from there on out. It's great being able to breath, taste, etc...Now the smell of cigs turns my stomach. I've always hated cigs kicking myself for falling into the trap. Anyways, good luck.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I found it hard to enjoy coffee w/out a smoke. I thought they went so well together. It really doesn't. Coffee is way better without the smoke.

TRUETH!

A lot of things are better without smoke. Like, food.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Haven't had a smoke in 6 or 7 months, feels great! They don't even sound good anymore, in fact, it sounds nasty.

Shit! Only have like 50 more pages to go in that Allan Carr book but I feel like an asshole cause I want to finish it tommorow so I can smoke today. Actually I can't finish it today cause I have to leave for work in an hour. God Damnit! What a way to go out! Out like a sucka....

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Day,

Where you at on this? I have never been a smoker but I am pulling for you. Keep us updated with good or bad news.

As Dr. Wu stated our father died of lung cancer back in '93 but when I was born he did quit smoking, and I mean cold turkey quit.

It can be done on the first try like he did. Even if you do slip, that's all right, just keep pushing forward.

Good luck and I hope you get that 45 my brother his holding for ya.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    if you lived in nyc i could give you acupuncture to help you quit.
    good luck.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'm on day 10 and feeling good to go. Einstein has been in my corner like this dude .

Which, needless to say, has helped. I've been going cold turkey (no gum/patch/etc) for the last 5 or 6 days. Been faded and stressed and wanted to smoke, but F*ck that. It's all mental from here on out.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    almost forgot...gained 10lbs in 10 days...