Oldest relevant rapper?

13»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Seems like I'd have more than a few things to say in this thread, but it's amazing how little I care nowadays.

Still listen to new (mostly local) rap music on the regular, but am pretty much through arguing over it (finally).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Sure, but nobody is talking about what's relevant in their private mind garden or what they spin around the house.

What's "relevant" on the rap music scene is a pretty definable thing.

I actually would consider MF Doom relevant. He's got his lane, it's not like "only knowed on the internet" or something.

If that's the case, then I think there's a good case to be made that Masta Ace is still relevant.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I invite you to make that case! *snicker*

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Sure, but nobody is talking about what's relevant in their private mind garden or what they spin around the house.

What's "relevant" on the rap music scene is a pretty definable thing.

I don't disagree, but it doesn't seem that well-defined in this thread so far.

One meaning of "relevant" that I'm referring to is "relevant to a discussion of..." If we're discussing Texas hip-hop, Bun B is certainly relevant to that discussion. If we're discussing underground hip-hop, Doom is relevant to that discussion. If we're discussing wack hip-hop shows, as we were a little while ago, Doom is also relevant to that discussion.

"Relevance" in the grand scheme of things is always going to be subjective to a degree. For me, it's a matter of context.

If we're talking about hip-hop that's hot in the streets or the radio, Jay-Z is far more relevant than LL Cool J.

However, if the scope of the discussion turns to influential old-school rappers, than LL becomes more relevant.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    In Europe he is relevant.

Faux Rillz is not relevant to rap.

Finally something I can cosign. Not that anyone of you care but I think for example A Tribe Called Quest and The Roots got their breakthrough in the Europe rather than in the U.S.

Without that support would they have got that far in the U.S?

Wow. Comedy. How did I miss this?

faux_rillz tells all you little dudes what's up. Without me, you'd still be listening to Talib Kweli and High & Mighty 12"s.

I changed the SoulStrut game. Respect your elders.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It's amazing to me that Jay is older than all but a couple of the old dudes!

Dude... and I know Phill has said this before... I think Jay is even older than the Wiki page says!

I mean that "HP Gets Busy" record came out in what, 1986??

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Somewhat serious, I'm retelling what I've been told.

The Roots first real contract, wasn't that with an UK label, Talkin Loud and at that time they were somewhat popular in Europe (but largely unknown in the US). They got the contract with Geffen later on.

ATCQ, I think toured Europe with their first album before one of the singles blew up in the US (I could be wrong).

Whatever.

From what I read in interviews The Roots first started getting a bit of a following while in London and touring Europe...

And Isnt the live version of "saywhatman?!?" on their first release recorded in Sarajevo?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Somewhat serious, I'm retelling what I've been told.

The Roots first real contract, wasn't that with an UK label, Talkin Loud and at that time they were somewhat popular in Europe (but largely unknown in the US). They got the contract with Geffen later on.

ATCQ, I think toured Europe with their first album before one of the singles blew up in the US (I could be wrong).

Whatever.

From what I read in interviews The Roots first started getting a bit of a following while in London and touring Europe...

And Isnt the live version of "saywhatman?!?" on their first release recorded in Sarajevo?
    This is incredible.

YES THE ROOTS OWE ALL OF THEIR FAME AND FORTUNE TO EUROPE

JUST LIKE JAZZ

smfh

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    maybe we could all just keep on enjoying the hip-hop that sounds good to each of us individually rather than submitting names for relevancy approval on a mostly white-collar (myself included) message board.

If I recall correctly faux_rillz collars are pink.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    And relevant to who?
    Teenybops and middle class white kids?

That about sums it up: relevant to little kids, ringtones and old, bald NYC lawyers.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

JUST LIKE JAZZ

no need to be silly and take things waaaaaaayyyy out of context. its an observation based on comments made by Questlove in an interview and there is truth to it.... and you havent offered anything to dispute it, which leads me to believe its probably true.

Cant you accept the fact that not every trend or style or group blowing up begins in the States?

As for the jazz comment, Im not expert but I have read several jazz artists bbooks and they got nothing but praise and love for their time in Europe... and you cant deny many of them got to eat well off that, and got treated better than back at home.

I dont know why Im arguing anyway, we all know everything starts DOWN UNDER! (and that is a JOKE for any defensive strutters)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

JUST LIKE JAZZ

no need to be silly and take things waaaaaaayyyy out of context. its an observation based on comments made by Questlove in an interview and there is truth to it.... and you havent offered anything to dispute it, which leads me to believe its probably true.

Cant you accept the fact that not every trend or style or group blowing up begins in the States?

No, actually, everything important related to rap music begins and ends here.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    ARE THE EURO DUDES SERIAL IN THIS THREAD?

• ballinnnballinnn 25 Posts
    dr dre - 1965

still does some production plus detox is supposed to drop this year

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    dr dre - 1965

There you go. A classic rapper and producer still putting shit out in the modern day that doesn't make me want to throw up in my mouth.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    dr dre - 1965

If he actually DOES release that damn record, I think we have a winner.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Dude... and I know Phill has said this before... I think Jay is even older than the Wiki page says!

I mean that "HP Gets Busy" record came out in what, 1986??

Yes but he doesn't have children, when Dre is a grand father !

haha... true.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    In Europe he is relevant.

Faux Rillz is not relevant to rap.

Finally something I can cosign. Not that anyone of you care but I think for example A Tribe Called Quest and The Roots got their breakthrough in the Europe rather than in the U.S.

Without that support would they have got that far in the U.S?

Wow. Comedy. How did I miss this?

faux_rillz tells all you little dudes what's up. Without me, you'd still be listening to Talib Kweli and High & Mighty 12"s.

I changed the SoulStrut game. Respect your elders.

Yea your alright. Its just that i thought that you hadnt heard a hip hop LP since EPMD strictly business....so watcha sayin.

I must admit i try to live more like rillz & straight hate a lot of phoney shit but it has to be done in moderation otherwise you end up sonnin ya self.

Masta Ace... www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPZ2-FVcM3M

• YES THE ROOTS OWE ALL OF THEIR FAME AND FORTUNE TO EUROPE

JUST LIKE JAZZ

Well, it was a lot of those European Jewish emigres who recorded and made real business out of the stuff. No Hitler, no Blue Note.

It's usually people from outside of cultures that go crazy over and care about preserving/exploiting them. I'm also thinking of that batshit crazy Japanese guy who's bonkers over John Coltrane.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

JUST LIKE JAZZ

Well, it was a lot of those European Jewish emigres who recorded and made real business out of the stuff. No Hitler, no Blue Note.

It's usually people from outside of cultures that go crazy over and care about preserving/exploiting them. I'm also thinking of that batshit crazy Japanese guy who's bonkers over John Coltrane.

and we wouldnt even had heard of soul music if it wasnt for balding brits that dance funny

• Some of you wouldn't. But that's just pointless hypothesisation. It's like speculating where the course of modern music might've gone had some no-name bassist from a pop band not made a fuss of Jimi Hendrix in '66.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    hypothesisation.

This is not a word.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hypothesisation.

This is not a word.

Its a very scholegic word.

JUST LIKE JAZZ

I JUST READ THIS IN WAX POETICS.

JUST LIKE JAZZ

I JUST READ THIS IN WAX POETICS.

This is amazing.