Oldest relevant rapper?

Comments

• GnarliamentGnarliament 375 Posts
    What is Soulja Boy doin these days?

Keeping his swag turned on and kissing people through the phone.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    In Europe he is relevant.

Europe is not relevant to rap.

epique lulz

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    What is Soulja Boy doin these days?

He's got a guest appreance on Law&Order lined up....

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    James Todd Smith (born January 14, 1968),[1] better known as LL Cool J....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Only Batmon and women over 40 think that dude is relevant.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts

Faux's list (wherever *that* is) will be final.

THAT IS ALL.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    And DMX?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Is there a particular reason everyone's avoiding mentioning Eminem. If relevant = sales then he still seems pretty relevant despite the Strut's loathing. Obviously if we're talking production wise, not so much.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts

Faux Rillz is not relevant to rap.

Oldest relevant Strut poster?

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

Faux Rillz is not relevant to rap.

Finally something I can cosign. Not that anyone of you care but I think for example A Tribe Called Quest and The Roots got their breakthrough in the Europe rather than in the U.S.

Without that support would they have got that far in the U.S?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    hahaha are you serious?? dude...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    wow

this has gotta be a joke..

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Somewhat serious, I'm retelling what I've been told.

The Roots first real contract, wasn't that with an UK label, Talkin Loud and at that time they were somewhat popular in Europe (but largely unknown in the US). They got the contract with Geffen later on.

ATCQ, I think toured Europe with their first album before one of the singles blew up in the US (I could be wrong).

Whatever.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    oh, what about Masta Ace? (born December 4, 1966)

Some of you dudes are really not understanding the meaning of "relevant"

Hah! Masta Ace is still putting out enjoyable records, but when you spend half of your last album talking about how nobody gives a shit about your music in the mainstream, that's a pretty good tip off that you're irrelevant.

I think we do need a better understanding of the term "relevant" here though. I'd argue it's mainstream airplay and making records???now???that are influencing other artists.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    ATCQ, I think toured Europe with their first album before one of the singles blew up in the US (I could be wrong).

They may have built more steam running thru the UK, but Q-Tip was already known from Red Alert's Radio show and appearences w/ The Jungle Brothers and De La Soul.

Description Of A Fool was played on NYC late nite radio.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

• born February 18, 1965

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I think we do need a better understanding of the term "relevant" here though. I'd argue it's mainstream airplay and making records???now???that are influencing other artists.

See also: club compliance, hot-in-the-skreets factor, and sizable non-white fanbase.

Is there a particular reason everyone's avoiding mentioning Eminem. If relevant = sales then he still seems pretty relevant despite the Strut's loathing. Obviously if we're talking production wise, not so much.

No longer relevant

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    okay, I'll launch the predictable next salvo in a soulstrut Hip-Hop Street Cred thread:

maybe we could all just keep on enjoying the hip-hop that sounds good to each of us individually rather than submitting names for relevancy approval on a mostly white-collar (myself included) message board.

Many of the great artists discussed in the pages of Wax Poetics, for instance, wouldn't have passed the street cred/sales/relevancy tests of their time, but I hope that superficial criteria wouldn't have prevented from me from enjoying their music had I been around at the time.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Did someone say MF DOOM yet? I'm not sure how old he is, but regardless of your feelings about him, he's still releasing records people care about. Not to the degree he was a couple years ago, but combined with his releases, his peers being on his nuts (see: Mos Def) and his live show shenanigans, he's an old-school dude whose name is in a lot of people's mouths.

Did someone say MF DOOM yet? I'm not sure how old he is, but regardless of your feelings about him, he's still releasing records people care about. Not to the degree he was a couple years ago, but combined with his releases, his peers being on his nuts (see: Mos Def) and his live show shenanigans, he's an old-school dude whose name is in a lot of people's mouths.

LOLOLOLOL

Not even SoulStrut dudes are checking for him anymore

okay, I'll launch the predictable next salvo in a soulstrut Hip-Hop Street Cred thread:

maybe we could all just keep on enjoying the hip-hop that sounds good to each of us individually rather than submitting names for relevancy approval on a mostly white-collar (myself included) message board.

Many of the great artists discussed in the pages of Wax Poetics, for instance, wouldn't have passed the street cred/sales/relevancy tests of their time, but I hope that superficial criteria wouldn't have prevented from me from enjoying their music had I been around at the time.

Why does SoulStrut get its feelings so hurt over this subject?

It's no different from any other field of factual inquiry--one need not necessarily be of it to know of it.

Why does SoulStrut get its feelings so hurt over this subject?

It's no different from any other field of factual inquiry--one need not necessarily be of it to know of it.

All I'm saying is, any music that moves me is relevant to me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Eminem isn't even that old.

I think this question would be better posed as: what rappers over 40 are still relevant. And in that case:

Too $hort (born April 28, 1966)
    E-40 (born November 15, 1967)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Sure, but nobody is talking about what's relevant in their private mind garden or what they spin around the house.

What's "relevant" on the rap music scene is a pretty definable thing.

I actually would consider MF Doom relevant. He's got his lane, it's not like "only knowed on the internet" or something.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Eminem isn't even that old.

I think this question would be better posed as: what rappers over 40 are still relevant. And in that case:

Too $hort (born April 28, 1966)
    E-40 (born November 15, 1967)

37 this year: 1 year older than Bun B, 2 years younger than Scarface. According to wikipedia anyway.

However hogginthefogg's criteria cancels him out anyway.

Sure, but nobody is talking about what's relevant in their private mind garden or what they spin around the house.

What's "relevant" on the rap music scene is a pretty definable thing.

I don't disagree, but it doesn't seem that well-defined in this thread so far.