"Day and Night" once an hour in Atlanta

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    You're right, my previous post wasn't clear, but I don't think I said "I never ever want to hear raps about crack again!" I mean, right after that I bought Rick Ross and likeded it! And we all know how fake he is (even though I'm sure some of you foolios think he's the ONLY fake one doing it!). I just meant to say it's getting old. I listened to Ross twice and then was kinda blah about it.

Dude - Drug raps are 25+ years old.

Callin Rick Ross's content "OLD" in the history of Hip Hop is suspect...IMO.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    during a recent text conversation, my friend brought up the fact that he was listening to "day and night" constantly, then went on to say, more or less, "cudi is the truth." i was taken aback. dude is a total rockist who rarely ever listens to music that is not somehow related to the 90s alternapalooza-sound/era. he went on to tell me that he has been getting into "gangsta rap" lately, and then told me to check out the youtube video of that girl from veruca salt(?) singing "straigh outta compton."

If I were you I think I would have to re-evaluate my relationship with this "friend."

I keed.

Although I am in total agreement with this:

I'm not opposed to any of this but this song is really, really terrible and it shocked me that it got so popular.

I don't know that I'd say terrible, but it's incredibly boring to me. Why do people want to hear this in the club?

Can anyone else attest to this song being a large part of their local black experience? Jonny or somebody said it was getting burn on Hot 97, I think.

I'm really curious, because Day 'n Nite sounds tailor-made for angsty white kids who don't really like rap or who rode hard for a hair's-breadth-from-emo cut like "Umbrella." That it's getting any love on urban stations outside of NY is suprising to me.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The 16 year olds in my building could give a fusk.

They dont even listen to the radio.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yes, this is getting mad burn on WAMO in pittsburgh.

• during a recent text conversation, my friend brought up the fact that he was listening to "day and night" constantly, then went on to say, more or less, "cudi is the truth." i was taken aback. dude is a total rockist who rarely ever listens to music that is not somehow related to the 90s alternapalooza-sound/era. he went on to tell me that he has been getting into "gangsta rap" lately, and then told me to check out the youtube video of that girl from veruca salt(?) singing "straigh outta compton."

If I were you I think I would have to re-evaluate my relationship with this "friend."

I'm really curious, because Day 'n Nite sounds tailor-made for angsty white kids who don't really like rap or who rode hard for a hair's-breadth-from-emo cut like "Umbrella." That it's getting any love on urban stations outside of NY is suprising to me.

we've been friends for 20 years. it's too late to re-evaluate anything now. if anything, i should have done a re-evaluation when he blamed me for his heroin addiction. anyway, i understand why he likes the song. the two people i know who ride for the song fit your description about who it sounds tailor-made for. that said, i've heard it on rap/r&b stations in dallas a number of times.

• also, the song has a horoscope quality to it. it seems specific, but it's vague enough to apply to almost anybody.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Can anyone else attest to this song being a large part of their local black/brown experience? Jonny or somebody said it was getting burn on Hot 97, I think.

Jim Jones on the first verse of the remix, though.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Batmon: I know how old drug raps are, but thanks for the history lesson!

What successful, popular and respected (and still current) rappers out there have made a living without the drug talk?

Only one that comes to mind is DJ Quik. I would say Shock but he's not currently, uh, current. I'm sure there's more. Shoot, I'm sure I'm forgetting an obvious Quik song that eliminates him from the list!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    is it a rap song because it is widely-accepted as being rap or because poo radio won't program it? do pop radio stations in the States play Kanye?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yes pop stations play kanye as well as rap/rnb stations. Cudi gets play on the urban stations and pop stations as well, though it seems the pop stations like the techno version

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

So does he actually rap on those songs? I haven't really checked for dude, but it seems like everyone's saying that he's the truth as far as hip-hop is concerned

Dude can definitely rap. Truth:

There are lots of albums in the jazz bins that sound like other types of music. It's just rap music that's not as 'rap' based as a lot of other rap music.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I am more comfortable when this Hyundai of a song, "Day and Night," ends and they go back to playing one of the Eldo-Rad big body songs.

Sums it up perfectly.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

What successful, popular and respected (and still current) rappers out there have made a living without the drug talk?

Only one that comes to mind is DJ Quik. I would say Shock but he's not currently, uh, current. I'm sure there's more. Shoot, I'm sure I'm forgetting an obvious Quik song that eliminates him from the list!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Batmon: I know how old drug raps are, but thanks for the history lesson!

Was thinking about this the other day... two names that seemed to fit were Nelly and Ludacris. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Nelly's album cuts though. Luda has never to my knowledge talked about selling drugs. One of the most successful rappers of the last 10 years, no question.

It's easy to conflate "drug talk" with "money talk", and to a certain extent artists are at fault for playing the whole "I flip records like weight" card. But I think the thing that probably rubs you wrong (pause) is the critical fawning over drug rapps as being more "real", more "street", ergo "authentic".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

So does he actually rap on those songs? I haven't really checked for dude, but it seems like everyone's saying that he's the truth as far as hip-hop is concerned

Dude can definitely rap.

LOLOLOLOLOL

As if you would be able to tell.

There are lots of albums in the jazz bins that sound like other types of music.

Most of that junk isn't actually jazz.

"Thinking about this the other day," "artists are at fault for playing..." And to think I'm ridiculed for expressing my thoughts and frustrations on the heavyhandedness of it all.

You're right about the fawning, but not necessarily critical in the professional O-Dub type of way. Street, message board,club folks, 'round the way dudes and dudettes...their fawning irks me too.

And oh, Nelly and Ludacris are PERFECT examples. Thanks!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    to a certain extent artists are at fault for playing the whole "I flip records like weight" card.

sure, drag mylatency into this whydontcha

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "Thinking about this the other day,"

I think about rap way too much. It's totally pointless and a waste of time, but it is what it is.

"artists are at fault for playing..."

Well, artists will always try to come up with clever, relevant means to say something that's been said before, but I didn't mean to say that they've done something terrible in the process. You've got "Rhymes Like Dimes" but I don't think anyone would accuse Doom of being a drug rapper.

And to think I'm ridiculed for expressing my thoughts and frustrations on the heavyhandedness of it all.

I do tend to disagree with you on it, but if it's ever come across as ridicule it's merely because I find a bit of implied finger pointing in the criticism. I guarantee you, whatever I may think (too often) about crack rap or rap about things other than crack, it's a drop in the ocean of fans, bloggers, nahright commenters, and critical O-Dub types.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

LOLOLOLOLOL

Your taste is a joke Bowser. You're a white lawyer with a receding hairline living vicariously through trap talk. Good look on your account. You don't know shit about hip hop, or good music; you have an opinion as a fusking consumer. HAHAHAHA, you do not participate! Your wallet does, and you wanna talk like you know. You're a sponge--fusking mindless invertebrate that needs to go back to the ocean where there is no internet access.

Word? You would know right? You're super down with validity, sharing the same bathroom, using the same toilet paper, et cetera. Your shit still stinks.

• I get paid every time this record gets played. Please call your local radio station and request it. I will buy each of you a sandwich.

I play it in the clurb every other week or so but I don't think you get paid for it in that setting. Can I still get Lunchable-sized sammich or something?

b/w

How old is this song now? 8 months?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I get paid every time this record gets played. Please call your local radio station and request it. I will buy each of you a sandwich.

Hi Zvi! I will call the radio station if you meet me at Katz's next time I'm in the city and buy me a pastrami sammich!!!!

• I get paid every time this record gets played. Please call your local radio station and request it. I will buy each of you a sandwich.

Hi Zvi! I will call the radio station if you meet me at Katz's next time I'm in the city and buy me a pastrami sammich!!!!

Done deal.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

How old is this song now? 8 months?

I first heard it December of 2007, right after our own Nick Catchdubs and A-Trak signed dude, before Kanye got his hands on it.

B/W

Rap threads on Soulstrut.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i like the beat

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

LOLOLOLOLOL

Your taste is a joke Bowser. You're a white lawyer with a receding hairline living vicariously through trap talk. Good look on your account. You don't know shit about hip hop, or good music; you have an opinion as a fusking consumer. HAHAHAHA, you do not participate! Your wallet does, and you wanna talk like you know. You're a sponge--fusking mindless invertebrate that needs to go back to the ocean where there is no internet access.

Word? You would know right? You're super down with validity, sharing the same bathroom, using the same toilet paper, et cetera. Your shit still stinks.

You're sounding SUPER asshurt dude

It's funny that you think you've made such valuable contributions to the world of rap. I guess you must be quietly shitting on things.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Dude can definitely rap. Truth:

then they're in the wrong bin!!

that clip shows that he can rap, but not that he can definitely rap.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Skee-Lo's I Wish didn't change much within the bigger picture of rap and neither will Day and Night.

Good point, but you're forgetting ... "The Kanye Factor." Meaning Kid Cudi is far from a trailblazer, but Kanye's BEEN making these type of songs. And his influence is huge and obvious.

All Kanye is doing aside from making a good song here and there is making shit whimsical and gay...and while it might pass as a trend for a lil while, it won't last nor carry much of a lasting impact.

I am so ready for the era of whimsical gay raps. It would be a switch from the homothug bang on my chest gorilla raps that have gotten so tired.

Skee-Lo's I Wish didn't change much within the bigger picture of rap and neither will Day and Night.

Good point, but you're forgetting ... "The Kanye Factor." Meaning Kid Cudi is far from a trailblazer, but Kanye's BEEN making these type of songs. And his influence is huge and obvious.

All Kanye is doing aside from making a good song here and there is making shit whimsical and gay...and while it might pass as a trend for a lil while, it won't last nor carry much of a lasting impact.

I am so ready for the era of whimsical gay raps. It would be a switch from the homothug bang on my chest gorilla raps that have gotten so tired.

I am saying the word "though."