"Day and Night" once an hour in Atlanta

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I guess it took awhile to catch on here, but now the big rapp station is playing the Cudi cut at least once an hour. Last night on the top songs countdown it was #2. (I think #1 was that J Money - Fir Nai, Laah Nai song)Hearing "Day and Night" alongside the T.I.s, Jeezys and Ron Browzes...it sounds like a sea change of attitude. I ball hard. I don't catch fillings. I got stacks like the Empire State Building. In other words, I don't know from this "lonely stoner" attitude. Is this an anomaly, or are the airwaves now open to this kind of bedroom rap? Odds on Lil B getting play? (See Cocaineblunts feature on Lil B from the Pack). This song stands for a kind of complete vulnerability or transparency that has become rare in big rapp. I thought something was strange when I first heard that Gorilla Zoe "Lost" song because the vocal approach could have been from a Mr. Glass middle class comic book loner. Speaking of "glass", there was an article in the paper yesterday about rappers wearing a lot less jewelry, and wearing one piece of jewelry consistently, instead of changing out rental jewelry every week.I am more comfortable when this Hyundai of a song, "Day and Night," ends and they go back to playing one of the Eldo-Rad big body songs. Much more of this "lonely" and "free your mind" business, and the bonds of society will entirely disintegrate.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah its caught on here in pittsburgh heavy too, where Gucci and Juiceman are huge. so it was weird to me hearing it as number 1 on the local station. I guess its cool that people are opening their minds a bit, but why Kid Cudi? this dude is really talentless

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    "Day & Night" is a good song.

I credit Kanye (and to a certain extent, Pharrell) for giving Hip Hop nerds a HUGE confidence boost, as well as making a portion of the listener base okay with them.

Rappin' (or - ahem - posting) like you're better than your audience gets tiresome from time to time. I can relate to the "lonely, free my mind at night" aspect of this song.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    didnt this shit come out like 4 months ago?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Lots of guys tone their bone at home.

It resonates cause it's honest

you really think this is a good SONG Herm? no disrespect. I too, like the idea behind the song, but theres just something really off about it. oh i know! Cudi cant sing!

But I kinda agree with The_Mack in that none of his other songs that I've heard are as good as "Day & Night." That Big Sean dude that Kanye's pushing seems bland too.

The underground's been bubbling (can't believe I just typed that) with "everyman" rappers for years now. And some of them are making a damn good living off it too.

Nobody likes a rapper who CAN sing, Mack!

• It resonates cause it's honest

This is what I was getting at...new values placed on transparency and vulnerability. Does it really work in a commercial setting?

I would be interested in hearing some entirely honest rapp, such as rapps by guys who drive UPS trucks or who are the managers at regional furniture distributors.

hell yeah bro. you don;t have to have T-pain on your jam to be making money. dudes like Madlib are probably more breaded up than half these dudes in the industry. But as far as Kanyes pet projects, why does he not sign The Cool Kids? I feel like these dudes could be huge with someone like Yeezy behind them

But why do folks seem to think everytime there's some "nerd rap" that goes against the grain of the regular steez, its some "breath of fresh" air.

The same shit happened when De La Soul debuted, and later even that wack shit - I Wish I was Little Bit Taller crap.

She Keep On Passin Me By....'oh its so not like that other hard stuff.'

Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos isnt "Honest"?

I remember this dude I worked w/ talmbout BizMarkie's U Got What I Need being so much more accessible. "Its way better than the angry stuff that I hear.."

Jay-Z's December 4th is just as honest IMO.

that's true, but even gorilla zoe sounds better singing than Cudi. Who's heard this remake of Buggin Out? shit is terrible

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    can everyman rap from nerdy middle aged action figure collectors be far behind?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    But I kinda agree with The_Mack in that none of his other songs that I've heard are as good as "Day & Night."

So does he actually rap on those songs? I haven't really checked for dude, but it seems like everyone's saying that he's the truth as far as hip-hop is concerned (Including Dante Ross in that interview with video camera dude) but I've only heard this cut where he sings the whole time much to the delight (or so my DJ friends tell me) of Caitlyn and 'nem. Doesn't sound like the "Next School" to me, but then again, I haven't heard his other joints.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Skee-Lo's I Wish didn't change much within the bigger picture of rap and neither will Day and Night.

dudes on the same singy rapping shit on most of the tracks ive heard

He does rap, but not that well (and pretty dang sloppily) in my opinion.

I trip out on all these somewhat authentic dudes giving him propers. Dante Ross seems like the type of dude who isn't fooled by hype.

Ummm, not true around these parts AT ALL.

Jay-Z's December 4th is just as honest IMO.

Jay-Z talks about dealing crack. So that's automatically out.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    He does rap, but not that well (and pretty dang sloppily) in my opinion.

I trip out on all these somewhat authentic dudes giving him propers. Dante Ross seems like the type of dude who isn't fooled by hype.

I'm sayin'. His name (cudi's) gets trotted out in lists of dudes who are supposedly "bringing hip-hop back," including Dante's. XXL's "Freshman Class" issue is all hype of course, but if Dante mentioned him I figured he had to have skills.

If he doesn't really rap that well, and his songs aren't as good as the one I don't care for, then that doesn't bode well for the "next generation of hip-hop." You'll forgive me if I return to bumpin' Dah Shinin' and The Infamous like I usually do.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    kid cudi is lupe fiasco's alter ego. you heard it hear first.

Harvey: I was being sarcastic. Z-Ro does both well, but it seems like the majority of people are okay with (or at least built up a tolerance for) horrific singsong raps.

Jonny: I think that was a crack at me, so if it was, please understand that I am well aware of the difference between honest & earnest vs ridiculous & sensationalized.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    So does he actually rap on those songs?

i would say its more like he whines on those songs....

Skee-Lo's I Wish didn't change much within the bigger picture of rap and neither will Day and Night.

Good point, but you're forgetting ... "The Kanye Factor." Meaning Kid Cudi is far from a trailblazer, but Kanye's BEEN making these type of songs. And his influence is huge and obvious.

Jonny: I think that was a crack at me, so if it was, please understand that I am well aware of the difference between honest & earnest vs ridiculous & sensationalized.

I'm sure you do, but you did just say the other day that you can't hear any more rap that touches crack (pause). I don't recall there being a delineation in that poast between honest & sensationalized crack rapps (and honestly, is there any rap - at all - that isn't in some way sensationalized?)

Good point, but you're forgetting ... "The Kanye Factor." Meaning Kid Cudi is far from a trailblazer, but Kanye's BEEN making these type of songs. And his influence is huge and obvious.

All Kanye is doing aside from making a good song here and there is making shit whimsical and gay...and while it might pass as a trend for a lil while, it won't last nor carry much of a lasting impact.

All Kanye is doing aside from making a good song here and there is making shit whimsical and gay...and while it might pass as a trend for a lil while, it won't last nor carry much of a lasting impact.

WHAI WONT U GUYZ LET HIM B GREAT!!!!!!1

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'm not opposed to any of this but this song is really, really terrible and it shocked me that it got so popular.

• during a recent text conversation, my friend brought up the fact that he was listening to "day and night" constantly, then went on to say, more or less, "cudi is the truth." i was taken aback. dude is a total rockist who rarely ever listens to music that is not somehow related to the 90s alternapalooza-sound/era. he went on to tell me that he has been getting into "gangsta rap" lately, and then told me to check out the youtube video of that girl from veruca salt(?) singing "straigh outta compton."

You're right, my previous post wasn't clear, but I don't think I said "I never ever want to hear raps about crack again!" I mean, right after that I bought Rick Ross and likeded it! And we all know how fake he is (even though I'm sure some of you foolios think he's the ONLY fake one doing it!). I just meant to say it's getting old. I listened to Ross twice and then was kinda blah about it.

I'm sure it doesn't help that it was sandwiched between Beneath The Surface (Blowed, not GZA) and P.E.A.C.E.' Southern Fry'd Chicken either. Ross didn't really stand a chance.