Vice Magazine

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
i just picked up the latest issue after not seeing one around for 2.5 years and is it just me or has that mag turned into utter shit?it used to be offensively funny now its just offensive. i remember reading them cover to cover back in the day. i guess my question is: was it always this bad or have they fallen off?

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    It has always been offensive. You have simply matured.

• but i remember it being also really funny and entertaining.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    but i remember it being also really funny and entertaining.

i was never a huge fan but i have worked with them a lot. it has gotten way more useless because gavin left nearly 2 years ago and he started 'street boners' with derrick beckles and he was the humor force behind that magazine. i don't think i have picked one up in 4 years.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

• Is this thread a vortex to 2002?

F*ck a latte pass- this is like a time machine.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I just read about her last week! What happened with this crazy lady?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I used to write for Vice back in the day; since then, it seems like they've been working overtime to make me embarrassed to have them in my portfolio.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    1) I'm really bewildered as to why this (alleged) criminal is of such interest.

2) I'm further amazed that they haven't caught her yet but maybe that's because the police realize she's not that interesting as far as (alleged) criminals go.

That said, her 15 seconds are creating some chuckles:

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    THAT IS WHY SHE RULES

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

it sort of amazes me there are "cool" bars in greenpoint... like that people will travel to greenpoint on a friday night as a destination...

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    its been bad since the founders stopped giving a F*ck to start doing vbs.tv which people gave a shit about for like 3 mins. gavin leaving didnt help either.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I have found Vice infinitely entertaining over the years and still do.
    DEAL.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    DEAL.

This revelation is about as shocking as Col. Sanders announcing he likes fried chicken.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    DEAL.

This revelation is about as shocking as Col. Sanders announcing he likes fried chicken.

I thought Sanders was vegan.

But seriously you think I'm like some champion of hipsterdom or something....
    Or did you once make the Don'ts and have beef with all those who like to read Vice
    while taking a crap.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

2) I'm further amazed that they haven't caught her yet but maybe that's because the police realize she's not that interesting as far as (alleged) criminals go.

I Heart the Hipster Grifter so much.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    The magazine has taken a down-turn, especially after McInnes left, and they had that awkward period of not doing themed issues anymore, and is now pretty much 50% advertising for the ugliest shoes you can never afford.

VBS.tv is alright, the Guide to Korea, actually starring McInnes is well worth the watch, but besides that I'll stick to my back-issues for the real deal.

Still the best free magazine to read on the toilet ever, though.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

VBS.tv is alright

Especially "Screwed up in Houston" and the Black metal i Norway episodes of Music World.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Can someone enlighten and old dude? Who is this person and is she a real criminal, or is this some hoax perpetrated by Vice magazine?

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I'm curious to see what Vice's exit strategy will be...

Alvi, McInnes and Smith deserve all the money they have.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Can someone enlighten and old dude? Who is this person and is she a real criminal, or is this some hoax perpetrated by Vice magazine?

This is a good place to start...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thats awesome!!

go Kari go!!!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    It was also around November that a guy named Troy was at Union Pool, the Williamsburg bar, when the bartender passed him a note from another customer. It read, ???I want to give you a hand job with my mouth,??? and was signed ???Korean Abdul-Jabbar.???

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The magazine has taken a down-turn, especially after McInnes left, and they had that awkward period of not doing themed issues anymore

it's just as well, since some issues were only as good as that theme.

i remember being bored shitless by the animal issue. not even the dos and don'ts saved that one - i trashed my copy.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    EGO TRIP IS[/b] the best free magazine to read on the toilet ever, though.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    great toilet reading...nothing stays great forever...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Could be, but I've never seen a copy in Europe. Sorry.

• EGO TRIP had some great stuff...I remember reading an interview where Count Chocula interviewed Fat Joe.
    Hilarity. Wish I could read that again...