how many ppl have recently thought about selling

Comments

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    dude, if we ever meet up i promise you some good titles for sale/trade, we just never seem to be able to work it out.

peace,xavier

• hahaha...records come and go

• records are forever.

yeah, the thought of just keeping everything is somehow appealing but it also seems wasteful to just sit on all this stuff worth tens of thousands of dollars and not really doing anyhting with it... also if you're moving from continent to continent every couple of years, it's just too much to worry about.

im not saying NOT to downsize. im just saying money comes and goes.

i can always make another dollar. theres a million hustles.

i dont buy records to sell them. i dont buy records i dont like.

bob gibson sold his collection to buy his house, he has a family..that makes sense.

selling just because times are tough....that to me is some borderline crackhead logic.

temporary.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i recently GAVE away a bunch of thrift finds in fear of becoming "antique store willie". Plus, i figure it's good record karma. Focusing on a proper collection now seems more viable...

• hahaha...records come and go

so start selling your joints youll never see again.

• hahaha...i am joking but bob gibson at the end of the day had to feel that way "records come and go" but buying a home is priceless...

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

selling just because times are tough....that to me is some borderline crackhead logic.

temporary.

and common.

a small portion of my collection was built in part by proxy of one mans crack habit- when i was a kid i would walk to the bus stop after school and go to see him weekly as he slowly sold off his collection bit by bit to feed his habit. at that time in my life i was emotionally bankrupt so i felt nothing about this situation. i cared about nothing except maybe records, he cared about nothing except crack money, neither party were fazed by this arrangement whatsoever just dazzled by the results. it's so odd to think of that now, i could never, ever do that now.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    I aint sellin shit.

Besides would the rate$ be suspect in these times?

you buy in a down market, sell in an up market. of course most people do the opposite. i'm too busy with real life grownup stuff to think about buying lots but i am quite certain the experts are hard at work right now.

and lol at all the vultures jumping on this thread for leads.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    I aint sellin shit.

you buy in a down market, sell in an up market. of course most people do the opposite. i'm too busy with real life grownup stuff to think about buying lots but i am quite certain the experts are hard at work right now.

Oh you're such a big grown-up boy with big grown-up boy moves

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Who bought Bob Gibsons collection? Was it Michael from Ubiquity? What was the price? I remember Bob calling me to tell me he was going to have a kid and sell his collection. I heard Kenny Dope picked up Malcolm Catto's collection as well. I'm mad doo doo dumb broke right now. I can't even buy an album from a strutter right now! Seriously I hit a little bump that set me back a month ago. Should be back on my feet and BALLIN' within the next week. I hope........ At any rate at the end of the day records are pretty stupid. It's about playing the music and we can do that with an mp3 now. You want to dj? You can ALSO, do that with an mp3 now. Records are old, bulky, fragile and take up space and are way over priced. I think about selling all the time and all I do is buy more! Not sure what I could get but I think I could buy a house.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I am tinkering with the idea of selling everything except for a handful of important titles.

I'd like to fund a trip across Canada, during which I can buy more records

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    ive been giving records to people i work with and aquaintences. gave about 40 to one dude and 100 or so to another. with the promise that they will listen to them. i am moving in a month though. thats a huge part of my motivation to unload. i missed the record show here last month and i dont have many options to make dollars off of my stuff.

if any new mexico dudes want to come look at some records holleur

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I'm getting rid of everything non-African

not really... this is only because the market value for Funk 45s has been pretty much consistent for the past two or three years and I can't see much gain here in the future.

I'm convinced that the demand for high profile Afrobeat records on the other side is going to rise in coming years while supply is very, very limited, much more so than with any other genre that I know of.

I'm also playing out exclusively African records these days and have no plans on changing that, so why keep things that I don't use?
    That's why I'm slowly letting go all of my funk 45s, latin boogaloo etc while still buying all the Afrobeat, Afro Funk and Afro Disco I can get.

• I don't mind selling off rare stuff, it's liberating, you need to remind yourself they are only records every couple of years. I sold off some really rare funk 45s recently and paid of all the debt for me and my wife setting up our delicatessen. I now have a business and no debt. I do miss the records but I don't regret selling them for one second. Getting the ones you really want back is fun, owning just makes you greedy and bitter if you hold on to long.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    So where is this Fryer deli?

Advertise man, advertise!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my hours have been cut for both of my jobs, so I am selling the odd piece here and there...although they are in genres I like and DJ out, I am getting rid of some records Im not totally in love with. So I am cool with letting some $100 records (not getting rid of the big raers) go to have the piece of mind that rent will be covered if ALL my hours end up getting cut. More than likely, I aint gonna miss them terribly and I will still have digital versions to play on the radio...so the path of least resistance tells me to sell the easy sells.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    my hours have been cut for both of my jobs, so I am selling the odd piece here and there...although they are in genres I like and DJ out, I am getting rid of some records Im not totally in love with. So I am cool with letting some $100 records (not getting rid of the big raers) go to have the piece of mind that rent will be covered if ALL my hours end up getting cut. More than likely, I aint gonna miss them terribly and I will still have digital versions to play on the radio...so the path of least resistance tells me to sell the easy sells.

This is more or less where I stand.

I don't mind getting rid of stuff...as long as it's something I won't miss.

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    I've sold a couple. If i ever want to listen to the record again (which i have) i just plurge through the many digging blogs available on the worldwide web

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I aint sellin shit.

Oh you're such a big grown-up boy with big grown-up boy moves

Hahahah, I laughed at that one...

I just bought a house so I am mega broke. F*ck the dumb shit anyone says. If you're getting ready to buy the house, then you're paid like a motherfucker. The minute you actually BUY then you're broke as a joke. Anyway, I'm not selling my collection. It's an extension of me. I know dudes that once they got on Microwave DJing they unloaded their entire collection and now have no vinyl. Come on, man... Now with me I got a lot of shit but I am definitely getting rid of a bunch, but it's got nothing to do with getting money. It's more so that I can move into a house that isn't overrun with vinyl. My wife has been accommodating to a point where we have one room in our (now rented) apartment that's all records and I don't want the same thing in our new house.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    we have one room in our (now rented) apartment that's all records and I don't want the same thing in our new house.

That's exactly what you want in a new house.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    If anybody needs some blazing Downtempo or Rawkus deadstock gold holler. I usually never listen to hip-hop while I'm relaxing at home and feel that is something that can go all digital.

Yeah this is it for me too. Hip-hop I'm fine with having mixes and MP3s of. I don't care. I listen to it when I'm in town or running. European jazz or solid latin LPs are a different beast entirely.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    If anybody needs some blazing Downtempo or Rawkus deadstock gold holler. I usually never listen to hip-hop while I'm relaxing at home and feel that is something that can go all digital.

hit me if you got boards of canada shit

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

hit me if you got boards of canada shit

I've got their entire discography.....

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    you are an evil man. i need all that. if you dont mind, hit me on the pm with the damage im lookin at to buy them joints.

thanks

• well, sometimes on some ego shit and just in case....i wonder sometimes what my collection is actually worth. i mean even in these hard times...

amir

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    we have one room in our (now rented) apartment that's all records and I don't want the same thing in our new house.

im sayin'. how can a house be overrun with vinyl when theyre all confined to one room?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

im sayin'. how can a house be overrun with vinyl when theyre all confined to one room?

i love my record room...plus its a place to go when I get in trouble with the lady or just want some alone time

serenity

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

i love my record room...plus its a place to go when I get in trouble with the lady or just want some alone time

serenity

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Speak for yourselves, dudes. I have a brand new two bedroom and the room that is my office will eventually be a kids bedroom. When that happens, I'll be more than happy with my collection of choice pieces that will go in one small section of the living room. Other than that, you think I really need to have vinyl stacked up against the wall like it is now, because I have no space? No thank you. There is nothing that gives me serenity from that, only chaos. F*ck all that noise.

In addition to this, for the first time in my life I really feel as though I don't need any of this shit. Been selling all sorts of shit (not records, fall back) and I'm so happy to see all this material crap just move out the door. F*ck that shit, I do not need it. If that philosophy eventually makes it's way over to vinyl, so be it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    So anyways Cos when you gonna have me over to buy some records