how many ppl have recently thought about selling

davidwingatedavidwingate 748 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
their collection and why? is the recession hittin' ppl hard or are you out growing record collecting...opinions please!p.s. I am not selling mine...amir

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i was thinking about selling some heavy pieces. but i just cant do it...the thought that i will never seem em again got me kinda shook. i will be that dude on the side of the Deegan with his records asking for change...

yo check yer PMs again....haha

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    gurney over at waxidermy is selling his, i'm just buying less and less. i've been consistently selling stuff for the last year. i've started focusing my collection, but have no want to get rid of it.

my homeboy is selling his whole collection and going digital, i'm buying alot of ill pieces from him.

peace,xavier

• well, i started thinking today that if I sold my collection I would have money in the pocket and wouldn't be soooo stressed about money. at the same time tho, i am like shit i won't be a good person to be around if i sold all my records cause i will be a miserable F*ck everyday...wondering if others felt the same way. one other question, do you think if you sold your collection it would be worth what you think it is or not?

amir

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

But only the bullshit and doubles. Need to stay lean in case I need to move. I don't know what the best place to unload the real crap is though. Goodwill/flea market?

Bay Area People, any ideas?

• good question i got some crap i need to unload as welll...but all hip-hop. nyc peeps any ideas?

good question i got some crap i need to unload as welll...but all hip-hop. nyc peeps any ideas?

all i collect is rap really!!!

holler at me on the PM tip please

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ill take all your garbage records. holler at me on the PM. im in SF.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

But only the bullshit and doubles. Need to stay lean in case I need to move. I don't know what the best place to unload the real crap is though. Goodwill/flea market?

Dudes, this does not constitute selling your collection.

This is pruning an assemblage of junk into something resembling a collection.

ohhhh crap hip hop nevermind!!

• i mean for real i mean CRAP!!! but if you wanna talk let's talk. I'll holla on pm. anybody selling cause they just straight broke or because of recession blues?

amir

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    im thinkin of putting alot of my stuff up for sale including my mpc3k. sigh...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i needs to prune my shit

• i am not talking pruning ppl's shit but gettin' ready of everything....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i am not talking pruning ppl's shit but gettin' ready of everything....

oh no doubt.

I aint sellin shit.

Besides would the rate$ be suspect in these times?

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

Dudes, this does not constitute selling your collection.

This is pruning an assemblage of junk into something resembling a collection.

Correct on both counts, but it is recession related. I'm just can't see trucking several hundred dollar bin joints halfway across the country ever again. I need to

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Sell it to Justin, but also over the hill in Santa Cruz my friend Brandon is always buying cheap stuff at The Krate. And whatever he really cant take you can bring to Logos for some money.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    yeah, Amir I'm thinking about selling my collection of DOO DOO that comes with buying collections. I bought a collection just recently when I was in Knoxville. Mostly crap but just a few 30-60 dollar disco 12's worth keeping. Purge the DOO DOO people!

• i wouldn't consider selling my collection, but with the recession i've become more focused in what i'm buying, i'm constantly asking myself is this record really good or is it just a record that is good initially but gets put away and gets dusty etc, also i'm asking for small discounts more often- sounds tacky but most dudes are willing to do it if it puts a buck in their pocket.

• im definitely pruning, im actually working on turbolister right now!
    150-200 hiphop records on wednesday?
    gonna have quite a few goodies; constant deviants competition catch speed knots, 2 different slum brothers, several frankenstein joints, third sight etc.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    Bay area heads interested in unloading rap records can holler at me. Streetlight records in san jose, i work sunday through wednesday. I buy collections and single pieces, can pay in cash, check , or trade, and am open to housecalls in some cases. 408-292-1404, ask for nate.

As for my personal stuff, I am not thinking about selling the whole lot, even though I'm about to move. As many have stated, i'm pruning through ebay and discogs, and the occasional record show. Thinking about having some heads over for a kind of record yard sale/beer drankin saturday soon.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I'm getting rid of everything non-African, keeping only what I can see myself using for playing out in the next few years.

• records are forever.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I'm pruning hard right now; not because of the recession per-se, but because I want to fit my ish in a 4x4 expedit. Keep it super tight.

If anybody needs some blazing Downtempo or Rawkus deadstock gold holler. I usually never listen to hip-hop while I'm relaxing at home and feel that is something that can go all digital.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    records are forever.

yeah, the thought of just keeping everything is somehow appealing but it also seems wasteful to just sit on all this stuff worth tens of thousands of dollars and not really doing anyhting with it... also if you're moving from continent to continent every couple of years, it's just too much to worry about.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I just had myself a pretty successful $5 Per Record Sale after my purging. I advertised it right here.
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=buysell
    HIGHLY recommend it to anyone doing a major cleanse.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm getting rid of everything non-African

One gentle collection purge every year does it for me. Finished my last one a few weeks ago and I gotta say it always feels like taking a shit (and we all know how priceless that feeling is).

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I'm getting rid of everything non-African, keeping only what I can see myself using for playing out in the next few years.

i wish my collecting habits were as focused as this

• I would like to get rid of most of mine.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I'm getting rid of everything non-African

So, any artist that isn't black then?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

my homeboy is selling his whole collection and going digital, i'm buying alot of ill pieces from him.

How can I be down?