Mayer Hawthorne Cover?

neil_somethingneil_something 993 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Can anyone shed some light on whether this is a cover? Compared to his (much overhyped) first single the arrangements seem far more authentic...

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Considering Stones Throw posted the vid, I'd say its for real. It does sound pretty 'authentic' though.

Doesn't really make much sense that it would be a 12" though.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    that looks like a test pressing so it being on 12" probably isn't strange

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    looks like it's gonna be the b-side of maybe so, maybe no 12.
    both sides vocal/instr.
    http://www.stonesthrow.com/store/12-inch/mayerhawthorne/maybe-so-maybe-no-12

p.s. i'm loving i wish it would rain. will definitely cop.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    that looks like a test pressing so it being on 12" probably isn't strange

I definitely believe it is what it says, I just meant it didn't sound like something that needs to be on a 12. I'm guessing the flip is what will be 12" worthy?

• this sounds so good!

love the instros, too!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Man neither of these tracks are nearly as good as the heart-shaped 10-inch. He basically copied "Maybe So, Maybe No" note for note, and that song is already pretty much perfect as it is. This track is a bit better.

Interested to hear what the album will sound like...

• White people love to hear other white people singing soul music.

i.e. (Lily Allen, Joss Stone, Adele, etc -- Winehouse & Robin Thicke get a pass, they got real soul)

But yeah, Mayer Hawthorne = Overrated.

Dude was DJ Haircut for a loonngggg minute. Made one record for giggles and that shit broke through. Exit DJ Haircut, who *never* made any substantial waves within the music industry, enter Mayer Hawthorne who now has 3 vinyl releases + an upcoming LP in less then 6 months of the public knowing who the F*ck he is.

In conclusion:

DJ Haircut = No $$$$$

Mayer Hawthorne = Overnight Success

Switched his whole shit up.

The only good joint of his career is "Just Ain't Working Out"....

the AstroNote remix.

Peace!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    White people love to hear their own singing soul music.

what a weird thing to say.

What else do white people like?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    White people love to hear their own singing soul music.

what a weird thing to say.

What else do white people like?

to hear black people singing soul music.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Well, he's not white

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    I'd rather listen to this white guy

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I'm shocked, shocked to hear about the role that marketing plays in the music business

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I like the songs so far and I'm not white.
    DEAL.

Funny, I was hanging with the Detroit rapper Invincible who knows Mayer (aka Andrew aka Drew) from back when they were going to Jewish summer camp together and she was also talking about how the Mayer Hawthorne persona was pretty much an instant creation but she didn't mean it in a critical way. More like - hey, if this works, then work it.

I mean, how many rappers totally invented their persona?

Hello: PUBLIC ENEMY?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    the persona shit seems kinda wack but this is stones throw, they invent new f*ckin personas every other day
    how many f*ckin aliases does madlib have? PBWolf is always doing shit like that too...either way, I am enjoying the music, not the persona. Not everybody is as cool as us.

the persona shit seems kinda wack but this is stones throw, they invent new f*ckin personas every other day
    how many f*ckin aliases does madlib have? PBWolf is always doing shit like that too...either way, I am enjoying the music, not the persona. Not everybody is as cool as us.

*laugh* Well, I don't know if Madlib's 20 different aliases = a Stonesthrow thing. But sure, artists invent new personas for them all the time. And in the case of Mayer, maybe I'm completely wrong about this but I don't imagine he learned ''60s soul music overnight. Maybe someone can correct me on that however.

• Can anyone shed some light on whether this is a cover? Compared to his (much overhyped) first single the arrangements seem far more authentic...

Authentically boring.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i like everything i've heard by dude, so does my wife but then again she's white so it doesn't mean anything.

"Persona" or not i think he writes good songs, he plays alot of the instruments on the tracks, and is an above average singer. i know questioning white peoples authenticity is big when it comes to soul/hip hop but some people seem to give kneejerk responses to white dudes doing "black" activities. But like o-dub said, i highly doubt hawthornes faking it, he's got soul.

some of you dudes on here are bitter as shit.

peace,xavier

• the AstroNote remix.

REALLY??? I just googled this and to my ears, sh*t is unlistenable.

where the fusk is his mixer in this shot? F5 to F6 fade?

ps. Is everyone there hype on listening to his slipmat?

• Options
    I'm lovin' "Maybe So, Maybe No". Sure, the OG is better, but by inches.

I'm not big on anything else dude has done, but I am looking forward to more of his shit.

The OG is better, by inches a country mile.

the AstroNote remix.

REALLY??? I just googled this and to my ears, sh*t is unlistenable.
    Agreed.

• hate or love the dude, he is winning. he got all of you fools (my foolish self included) posting about him. if you illicit that kind of response, regardless of the content of said responses, you are winning. at least in my book.

personally, i think it's pretty good. however, i have not been compelled to cop. it will be interesting to see how it sells. i'm sure he'll at least get a hand-job from giles peterson and a his own kid robot character out of the whole deal...at least!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

"Persona" or not i think he writes good songs, he plays alot of the instruments on the tracks, and is an above average singer.

listen
    i liked the drums on just aint working out as much as the next man
    i enjoyed the track

but above average signer please...
    you need to apply your hiphop criteria to soul signing

i guess its cause i am pofessionaly trained but i would call his singnin par at best

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I'm lovin' "Maybe So, Maybe No". Sure, the OG is better, but by inches.
    you are obviously smoking crack right now

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    white people can 'relate' better to songs sung by white people

"he's just like me"

discuss

• haze25haze25 759 Posts

"Persona" or not i think he writes good songs, he plays alot of the instruments on the tracks, and is an above average singer.

listen
    i liked the drums on just aint working out as much as the next man
    i enjoyed the track

but above average signer please...
    you need to apply your hiphop criteria to soul signing

i guess its cause i am pofessionaly trained but i would call his singnin par at best

i'll agree w/ you that on a technical scale he's just an average singer, but i do like how he doesn't sound the same on any of the tracks i've heard (which is why i threw an above average in my initial response).

And i'm super disconected, who sings the og of "Maybe So, Maybe No"?

peace,xavier

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Oh man, Xavier... once you hear the orig of "Maybe So..." you will not fusk with this dude's version.

I mean, nothing against the dude, but that's a reeeeeal hard act to follow.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Oh man, Xavier... once you hear the orig of "Maybe So..." you will not fusk with this dude's version.

WORD? Damn i can't wait to hear it.

Also your mix is killing me dude, family circle/mary ann taylor/dee edwards and syl johnson's best tracks all on one compact disc.

Straight up impossible. It's not even that the New Holidays were some incredible, insane talent - it's that the single is such an unlikely success of a gazillion different little parts, there's no way you can cover it and hope to remotely come close to recreating that magic.

That said, I'm partial to this version