Mayer Hawthorne Cover?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Oh man, Xavier... once you hear the orig of "Maybe So..." you will not fusk with this dude's version.

I mean, nothing against the dude, but that's a reeeeeal hard act to follow.

WORD? Damn i can't wait to hear it.

Also your mix is killing me dude, family circle/mary ann taylor/dee edwards and syl johnson's best tracks all on one compact disc.

Which mix? Is Impalaville 2 out now?

• HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts
    Oh man, Xavier... once you hear the orig of "Maybe So..." you will not fusk with this dude's version.

• HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts

VS:

No contest.

Slight topic change but I do have to say: the Emotions' cover of "As Long As I've Got You" > The Charmels. I wouldn't think that was possible but it kind of is.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts

Also your mix is killing me dude, family circle/gloria ann taylor/dee edwards and syl johnson's best tracks all on one compact disc.

Nah "Everythin Is Beautiful"" is the name of the mix, don't know what mr. paychecks is intending for it, but it should be released, it's that good.

peace,xavier

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Also your mix is killing me dude, family circle/mary ann taylor/dee edwards and syl johnson's best tracks all on one compact disc.

Nah, something else I'm working on... all will be revealed soon.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    thank you so much for posting that........ wow the og version is truly incredible.

peace,xavier

When playing this out, that first bridge, with the acapella doo-wop steez, is so killer as it builds towards the return of the rhythm section.

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts
    Slight topic change but I do have to say: the Emotions' cover of "As Long As I've Got You" > The Charmels. I wouldn't think that was possible but it kind of is.

The Emotions' version is good, but I have to say that the Charmels' version is still much better.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    the emotions version is sick, i like the charmels better too though. it seems like the emotions' "songs of innocence and experience" was gonna be an incredible album. the 45 i have off of it is really great, cant remeber the titles off hand.

peace,xavier

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts

Funny, this New Holidays song has been posted in at least three different previous SS threads. It's fast approaching "breakdancing midget youtube video" status!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the question remains

donde esta el mptr3s

mayer hawthorne is catching up to asher roth i cant wait for the new eminem album to come out

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Straight up impossible. It's not even that the New Holidays were some incredible, insane talent - it's that the single is such an unlikely success of a gazillion different little parts, there's no way you can cover it and hope to remotely come close to recreating that magic.

That said, I'm partial to this version

This is adorable!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    the question remains

donde esta el mptr3s

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the question remains

donde esta el mptr3s

siempre estas el man

b/w

That said, I'm partial to this version

Underated cuteness in this thread

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    You know....I just got back from the Boston stones throw show.

Now I should say, I WANT to like Mayer Hawthorne. I try not to get caught up, and just judge shit on its merits. I am suspect, but I dig his cover version, although I like my New Holidays 45 just fine.

Hell, anything that brings shine to that fantastic 45 is fine with me!

So the show starts with him djing....mostly hiphop, then some motown. Ok, all Microwave. Thats cool, whatevs. Dam Funk does his thing. I am not really feeling it, but I can appreciate it. James Pants is meeeeeeh.....the cover of White Rabbit is dope. So, then Mayer Hawthorne comes out to sing a few.

He plays the heart-shaped-single. Great. Some reggae-ish joint about weed......MEEEEH. Then some more upbeat song. AND THATS IT?!?!?!?!! I came out to this show pretty much as a fanboy wanting to like Mayer Hawthorne and no "Maybe So Maybe No"?! WTF? hahahaha.......And that is the single coming out?

Guess I'll just go back to listening to New Holidays.

-pj

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    You know....I just got back from the Boston stones throw show.

Now I should say, I WANT to like Mayer Hawthorne. I try not to get caught up, and just judge shit on its merits. I am suspect, but I dig his cover version, although I like my New Holidays 45 just fine.

Hell, anything that brings shine to that fantastic 45 is fine with me!

So the show starts with him djing....mostly hiphop, then some motown. Ok, all Microwave. Thats cool, whatevs. Dam Funk does his thing. I am not really feeling it, but I can appreciate it. James Pants is meeeeeeh.....the cover of White Rabbit is dope. So, then Mayer Hawthorne comes out to sing a few.

He plays the heart-shaped-single. Great. Some reggae-ish joint about weed......MEEEEH. Then some more upbeat song. AND THATS IT?!?!?!?!! I came out to this show pretty much as a fanboy wanting to like Mayer Hawthorne and no "Maybe So Maybe No"?! WTF? hahahaha.......And that is the single coming out?

Guess I'll just go back to listening to New Holidays.

-pj

those are my thoughts exactly

hence why i did not attend the show in montreal
    thanks for confirming

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yeah, thanks for this review. I was about to press my luck on making a trip out for the Philly show tonight. Basically involving a long SEPTA ride and a hit-or-miss cab situation to get back home. But, I think I'll pass.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yeah, thanks for this review. I was about to press my luck on making a trip out for the Philly show tonight. Basically involving a long SEPTA ride and a hit-or-miss cab situation to get back home. But, I think I'll pass.

On the flip of the the L.A. show was great (at least when it came to Mayers performance). Dude did a 8 or 9 song set included "Just Ain't Gonna work Out" and "Mayvbe So, Maybe No" also did "I Wish That It Would Rain" and even did his own version of M.I.A.s "Paper Plane". Had the audience in the palm of his hand conducting the show with a long xylophone with a long skinny mallet. Looked like a hipster Benny Goodman and had the audience begging for an encore for several minutes.

• i WANT to like mayer hawthorne
    i like it just aint gonna work out, but his cover of maybe so maybe no didn't do much for me, the new holidays made a perfect song and all he could do was attempt to recreate their perfection.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

On the flip of the the L.A. show was great (at least when it came to Mayers performance). Dude did a 8 or 9 song set included "Just Ain't Gonna work Out" and "Mayvbe So, Maybe No" also did "I Wish That It Would Rain" and even did his own version of M.I.A.s "Paper Plane". Had the audience in the palm of his hand conducting the show with a long xylophone with a long skinny mallet. Looked like a hipster Benny Goodman and had the audience begging for an encore for several minutes.

This is what I was hoping for! Guess Boston just ain't LA, huh?

Seems like he should have been at LEAST pushing his new 12" though.

-pj

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I take back anything bad I ever said about Joe Bataan

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts

Not to be hyper critical, but is it just me or is this really really really pitchy?

like really pitchy

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I take back anything bad I ever said about Joe Bataan

Not to be hyper critical, but is it just me or is this really really really pitchy?

like really pitchy

Not just you.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    ok, i thought i had salt water in my ear from surfing this morning. good.

to be fair, it doesn't sound much different/worse than the record IMO.

But more importantly...did the Mayer dog work it out in the end?