The Wire (Real Late Pass)

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Just finished watching season one. (no spoilers please.)Been avoiding watching because we don't care much for violence. What great story telling. There are a number of scenes -like D'Angelo explaining the rules of chess, or a drunken McNulty trying to stop some kids who are breaking into cars and slipping in the mud and his badge gets all muddy-that to me are just perfect little vignettes that shine light onto the whole thing. I suppose for other people it is film making 101 and sophomoric.I love that kind of stuff. Also really liked how everyone turns out to be not who you think they are. I guess it started a while ago with Sopranos, but I am still amazed that tv is producing these shows that are better than most movies.The production values are as high as any movie. The acting and writing is better than most. This is the first one of those that we have really watched. BTW, I married a girl from Baltimore so there is an added connection.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    From another thread:
    I used to like the First 48, but now I can't watch it. It's incredibly sad, people of color on both ends of the equation (victim and murderer) used exploitatively for crime drama and csi voyeuristic entertainment.

Guilty, and I know it.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    who?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    you are about to have your mind blown
    enjoy season 2's storytelling
    and brace yourself for season 3-4

i just re-watched everything with my girl until the never before seen (to me) season 5
    cant wait

• i'm envious of you having not seen it (especially the last 3 series!!!)

just finished watching the last episodes and now we are trying to fill the void with other stuff (re-watching Oz for the first time since it was on TV, 2nd series od "deadwood" etc) but none of it is hittting the spot!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    is oz worthy of purchase
    i remember realling liking the series but is it enjoyable as a full

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's crazy, I used to have this huge hole in my soul where The Wire used to be.

Then I realized... I have all the ingredients. Cops, drug boys, dope fiends, and a junior high school. All within view from my living room window! Problem is, I don't get to know all of the characters as well as I did watching The Wire.

So I have been going out on the street, trying to meet and get to know folks. I'll find my own version of Bubbles, or Bodie, and maybe even Stringer Bell or Jimmy McNulty. I really want to be a part of this world. I have considered mainlining a few speedballs in a vacant around the corner to REALLY get into my role.

So far, it's not working all that well. But I'm gonna keep trying. I don't want this feeling to die

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

BTW, I married a girl from Baltimore so there is an added connection.

Eastside or Westside?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's crazy, I used to have this huge hole in my soul where The Wire used to be.

Then I realized... I have all the ingredients. Cops, drug boys, dope fiends, and a junior high school. All within view from my living room window! Problem is, I don't get to know all of the characters as well as I did watching The Wire.

So I have been going out on the street, trying to meet and get to know folks. I'll find my own version of Bubbles, or Bodie, and maybe even Stringer Bell or Jimmy McNulty. I really want to be a part of this world. I have considered mainlining a few speedballs in a vacant around the corner to REALLY get into my role.

So far, it's not working all that well. But I'm gonna keep trying. I don't want this feeling to die

Protect ya copper wiring!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I stripped my own building! But I played myself when I tried to lug it down to the scrap yard. Couldn't make it even halfway and I gave up. Crackheads have superhuman strength

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    market for copper bottomed out. recognize
    and in regards to that other stuff, jonny....
    chase the dragon, man. chase the dragon

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    market for copper bottomed out. recognize

For real and it helped out my neighborhood a bit since we have a metal
    recycling spot 2 blocks from my house.

As far as the Wire goes, I'm almost through season 2, I had been waiting for
    it to show up on my HBO on Demand and last month it did.
    IT RULES!

• Did I ever tell you guys that I went on set while they filmed a scene for the last season? It was with McNulty, Kima, and Bunk. It was too good to be true. I walked around the entire warehouse where they film and went into every room.. the mayor's office, homicide division, Baltimore Sun newsroom, you name it. It's amazing how detailed those sets were. Every desk looked like someone had been working there for years.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Cell-phone videos I took of officer Bunk gettin down to a brass band on frenchmen st in new orleans a few weeks ago. i know the quality is horribly shitty, but you can catch glimpses of Bunk gettin it in. he's directly in the middle in both of them...

willie, not sure that would hold up in a court of law.
    until you bring better proof, im convinced you think all middle age black guys look alike.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    willie, not sure that would hold up in a court of law.
    until you bring better proof, im convinced you think all middle age black guys look alike.

I spy a Kima and a couple McNulty's myself.

i see a little kima in every woman

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    i see a little kima in every woman

I see a little of myself in every woman that looks like Kima.

emphasis on "little"

but of course its how you use it that counts.

wait...what the hell are we talking about here????

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Now I just watch Wire cast members in other shows ... Rawls is like
    the main man in Damages, and Lester Freeman keeps popping up on there,
    too. Cutty turns up now and then on one of the Law & Orders as an M.E.
    And I saw a trailer for an awful looking movie tonight starring Stringer Bell.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Idris Elba is everything these days. I was trying to think of analogy earlier and I decided he's the new George Kennedy.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    i'm envious of you having not seen it

me too! most other TV is pretty bland (esp. crime/cop TV) once you've seen the Wire. it sorta ruined TV drama for me by setting the bar so high.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    i'm envious of you having not seen it

me too! most other TV is pretty bland (esp. crime/cop TV) once you've seen the Wire. it sorta ruined TV drama for me by setting the bar so high.

Yes, but we have this to look forward to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treme_(TV_series)

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    You guys read the book the Homicide: A year on the killing streets by David Simon. Im reading it now and can't put it down. So good. Also check out the Corner a mini series on HBO also by David Simon.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    You guys read the book the Homicide: A year on the killing streets by David Simon. Im reading it now and can't put it down. So good. Also check out the Corner a mini series on HBO also by David Simon.

Yeah, the book is great. I finished it in a few days and wanted it to keep going.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    Now I just watch Wire cast members in other shows ... Rawls is like
    the main man in Damages, and Lester Freeman keeps popping up on there,
    too. Cutty turns up now and then on one of the Law & Orders as an M.E.
    And I saw a trailer for an awful looking movie tonight starring Stringer Bell.

yep. i saw a few of the kids from season 4 on law & order. sh*t talking kenard plays a haitian adoptee in one episode and donut was in the hospital in one.

plus the editor of the baltimore sun not named gus or the fogey w/ the weird shirts, is on a t-mobile commercial.

i really need a marathon session these again.

Violence.
    Like I said, don't like it.

Not much violence, not to graphic, in the first 11 episodes.

Then Wallace gets it, and that was rough.

Then when Kima gets shot we were real tore up.
    Wasn't horrible graphic, but shit.

Does it get much worse?
    No. Don't tell me.

One of the best scenes ever, tv, movies, Shakespeare.

Bunk and McNulty are working an old crime scene.
    For 5 minutes they say nothing but f*ck non-stop.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    One of the best scenes ever, tv, movies, Shakespeare.

Bunk and McNulty are working an old crime scene.
    For 5 minutes they say nothing but f*ck non-stop.

Yep! One of my favorite scenes of the whole series.