The Wire (Real Late Pass)

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

plus the editor of the baltimore sun not named gus or the fogey w/ the weird shirts, is on a t-mobile commercial.

Shit, THIS guy is on "Damages" too! I was trying to remember
    where I knew him from ... so that makes 3 cast memebers of the
    Wire with major roles on Damages.

LaserWolf you are going to get a lot worse violence than that as
    the series goes on. It's up to you whether you can handle it or not.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

LaserWolf you are going to get a lot worse violence than that as
    the series goes on. It's up to you whether you can handle it or not.

Stay tuned.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'm actually kind of jealous of people who haven't gotten into the Wire yet. That means you have all 5 seasons ahead of you now.. enjoy it.

When you're done with the series, definitely check out "The Corner". It's basically what spawned the Wire, many of the same actors but all in completely different roles (cop in the Wire is junkie in the Corner, etc) which makes for a fun, but extremely powerful and riveting watch at the same time.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Violence.
    Like I said, don't like it.

Not much violence, not to graphic, in the first 11 episodes.

Then Wallace gets it, and that was rough.

That messed me up for DAYS.

I just started watching it on DVD recently. I'm up to season 4.

I think there's actually a lot less gratuitous violence on The Wire than there is on a show like the Sopranos. But you feel it more because the show makes a point of telling everyone's story, so it's not just some nameless gangbanger getting shot but a real person.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Violence.

I just started watching it on DVD recently. I'm up to season 4.

I think there's actually a lot less gratuitous violence on The Wire than there is on a show like the Sopranos. But you feel it more because the show makes a point of telling everyone's story, so it's not just some nameless gangbanger getting shot but a real person.

Right, which is why I will watch the Wire, but only saw 15 minutes of the sopranos before turning it off.

There are a lot of Wire murders where we don't really know the story, like the Workingman, but there are a lot of stories, and a lot less graphicness than there could be.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    "Come at the king you best not miss"

I have three episodes left to finish season 4, shit is ill. I'm glad I stayed away from all The Wire threads while the show was going on.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Revel in the knowledge that The Wire had a satisfying ending, unlike the blue balls of The Sopranos, which still burns my ass.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    ...and I keeps one in the chamber in case you was ponderin'

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Omar is a literary hero for the ages. I'm talking Hamlet-level.

• We actually went over the Omar / Brotha Mouzone standoff scene in my editing class. Show is on a pedestal at my school.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Violence.

Ditto. I had been plowing through the DVDs at a pretty fast clip, but when I got to that part, I stopped watching for a bit. To my mind, that was the saddest bit of violence in the whole series.

• dirtydirty 93 Posts

I heard an interview with Idris Alba on NPR and it fucked me up to find out that Stringer Bell is British. He had me fooled like a mugh....

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I heard an interview with Idris Alba on NPR and it fucked me up to find out that Stringer Bell is British.

So's McNulty.

On a tangent I'd have to say some of the best knockers I've ever seen belong to Nick's girlfriend in season 2.

On another tangent, about two yrs ago I remember reading that the Wire was Obama's favourite show.... right then I was like....straight to the top with this dude, please.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

On another tangent, about two yrs ago I remember reading that the Wire was Obama's favourite show.... right then I was like....straight to the top with this dude, please.

and put slim charles as head of secret service muscle.

the wire has lines for days and you can get a lot of them from reading Homicide too.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

I heard an interview with Idris Alba on NPR and it fucked me up to find out that Stringer Bell is British. He had me fooled like a mugh....

Hes in the new Guy Ritchie film RocknRolla and does a great job. I was wondering how he got such a legit sounding pom accent.

Me and my flatemate used to play the 'spot the guy from OZ in another show game" now we are having fun doing the same with the Wire cast.

But I still havent seen the very very last episode!!!!

Talk about torture (and I dont want to hear anything about the last episode unless your telling me you can send me a copy!)

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Me and my flatemate used to play the 'spot the guy from OZ in another show game" now we are having fun doing the same with the Wire cast.

You should get double bonus points for people who where in both in OZ and the Wire (lots of chances there).

Jermaine Crawford (AKA Dukie) was on the pilot for The Unusuals tonight. That kid has really grown up. Just about the only thing worth noting about that show, and I'm a pretty big Harold Perrineau fan. Yawnsville, USA.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I happened to walk in on some of a recent CSI Miami a couple
    of weeks ago, and Sgt./Lt. Carver was on it, playing an air marshall.

• so who's going to be in the new david simon show?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

You should get double bonus points for people who where in both in OZ and the Wire (lots of chances there).

Triple points if they happen to be on a Law & Order episode!

so who's going to be in the new david simon show?

Bunk and Lester, plus Steve Zahn and the delicious Khandi Alexander. I'm hoping Elvis Costello is only a brief cameo, perhaps he will reprise his off the cuff remarks about James Brown and Ray Charles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1279972/

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    You guys read the book the Homicide: A year on the killing streets by David Simon. Im reading it now and can't put it down. So good. Also check out the Corner a mini series on HBO also by David Simon.

homicide the book is great. the corner is not that great.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I remember reading that the Wire was Obama's favourite show....

I highly doubt Obama ever said this.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts

I read it somewhere. I also read that it was John McCains favorite show.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    i'm envious of you having not seen it

me too! most other TV is pretty bland (esp. crime/cop TV) once you've seen the Wire. it sorta ruined TV drama for me by setting the bar so high.

Couldn't agree more although I didn't have cable before watching it and only recently discovered the 'First 48' which has messed me up in a WAY different way, I almost can't watch it. I guess its realness.

Bubs is my Dude, got a lot out of the character for personal reasons and keeping hope.

One of his best lines:

"Ain't no shame in holding on to the past as long as you make room for
    other things too"

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Talk about torture (and I dont want to hear anything about the last episode unless your telling me you can send me a copy!)

Void and I watched seasons 1-4 in like 3 months last fall, we were renting from a video store which sucked cause we had to wait for things to come back in. When we finally got to Season 5 no one had it, it was always rented or had been stolen. We discovered only then that we could download it on itunes for a fraction of the price we had paid to rent it so we watched the last season on the confuser hooked up to the TV. $1.99 from itunes kicked the $3.79 rental fees ass. Wish I would have known before hand and we would have saved like 40 bucks. Oh well it was still worth it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I read it somewhere. I also read that it was John McCains favorite show.

I read that Obama's really a muslim that will enslave all the white children of the world by 2011. McCain supports Obama's radical agenda because they're both in Skull & Bones (the people responsible for the chem trails over your city that are brainwashing the public to keep them complacent).

Shit is real son.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    sorry, i always have to chime in when this topic comes up...
    The Wire was the best TV drama in a while but...

Homicide > The Wire

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I heard an interview with Idris Alba on NPR and it fucked me up to find out that Stringer Bell is British.

So's McNulty.

I think they call it acting.