The Wire (Real Late Pass)

13»

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Also, apart form Johnny Depp, which American does the best English accent?

My girlfriend thinks Depp isn't that good, just by comparision. In the past I've volunteered Forest Whittaker in The Crying Game but get laughed at - he doesn't sound American in that film, it's just that he doesn't sound English either.

• You guys read the book the Homicide: A year on the killing streets by David Simon. Im reading it now and can't put it down. So good. Also check out the Corner a mini series on HBO also by David Simon.

homicide the book is great. the corner is not that great.

I disagree. The writing is just as good as Homicide. There's that line where he describes DeAndre's (was that his name)bloodshot eyes as "two cherries in a bowl of buttermilk." One of my favorite descriptions in a book ever.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah I thought The Corner (the book) was great... not sure how exactly it was quantitatively less good than Homicide. Seemed like two sides of the same coin. The writing was expert in both.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I remember reading that the Wire was Obama's favourite show....

I highly doubt Obama ever said this.

President Barack Obama can???t stand to be without his ???Entourage.???

Call it a guilty pleasure, or maybe it just rings familiar to him. The HBO series about an aspiring actor features a fast-talking agent named Ari, based on the real-life brother of Obama???s chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel.

For less R-rated fare, he tunes into ???Hannah Montana??? or ???SpongeBob SquarePants??? in the White House with his daughters. Aides said he would have watched Monday night???s NCAA championship on TiVo on his way home from Iraq Tuesday night.

Jon Stewart???s smackdown of CNBC???s Jim Cramer? Obama was eager to see it. But when it comes to the real news, and not the fake kind, Obama takes a pass ??? rarely ever tuning into 24-hour cable chatter or replays of his own performances.

???We usually tell him how we think he did,??? said longtime friend Valerie Jarrett.

In some ways, it???s a TV diet that doesn???t seem so different than many American men???s, featuring a heavy dose of sports, including that staple of the channel-surfing set, ESPN???s ???SportsCenter.???

But some of Obama???s choices definitely have an edgier bent ??? such as the HBO drama ???The Wire.??? [/b]His favorite character is Omar, a gay stickup artist who steals from drug pushers to give to the poor. (???That???s not an endorsement. He???s not my favorite person, but he???s a fascinating character,??? Obama said last year.)
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21010.html

• http://www.570klac.com/main.html (Simon interview going on right now)

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

But some of Obama???s choices definitely have an edgier bent ??? such as the HBO drama ???The Wire.??? His favorite character is Omar[/b], a gay stickup artist who steals from drug pushers to give to the poor.

I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You guys read the book the Homicide: A year on the killing streets by David Simon. Im reading it now and can't put it down. So good. Also check out the Corner a mini series on HBO also by David Simon.

homicide the book is great. the corner is not that great.

u buggin

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

But some of Obama???s choices definitely have an edgier bent ??? such as the HBO drama ???The Wire.??? His favorite character is Omar[/b], a gay stickup artist who steals from drug pushers to give to the poor.

I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right?

The scenes of Omar testifying in court are so goddamn funny. Even the way he struts into the courtroom and points to various folks in the gallery is hilarious, plus him waving the tie at Bird afterward.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Talk about torture (and I dont want to hear anything about the last episode unless your telling me you can send me a copy!)

Void and I watched seasons 1-4 in like 3 months last fall, we were renting from a video store which sucked cause we had to wait for things to come back in. When we finally got to Season 5 no one had it, it was always rented or had been stolen. We discovered only then that we could download it on itunes for a fraction of the price we had paid to rent it so we watched the last season on the confuser hooked up to the TV. $1.99 from itunes kicked the $3.79 rental fees ass. Wish I would have known before hand and we would have saved like 40 bucks. Oh well it was still worth it.

I can't recommend netflix enough. Cheap. In stock. Reliable. Fast.

My girlfriend thinks Depp isn't that good, just by comparision. In the past I've volunteered Forest Whittaker in The Crying Game but get laughed at - he doesn't sound American in that film, it's just that he doesn't sound English either.

My wife was critiquing the Baltimore accents last night.
    Some characters got some don't.
    She likes McNulty's partner on the boat for a good Baltimore accent.
    (We just started season 2).

I've been thinking of season one, and things that don't hold up.

Here in Portland federal urban improvement dollars are brazenly given to campaign supporters, with no pretense.
    The difference is, in the Wire they could tie those campaign contributions to drug money.
    Which the FBI wanted to do.

Crime families and organizations try to find the right place for everybody.
    It is sad that they didn't move D'Angelo to the Copy Center or the mortuary.
    Someone has to do the embalming, might as well keep it in the family.

I can't help but think that killing everyone was a bad business move, but I'm a pretty poor business man, so what do I know?

Two more things I have been thinking about.

If it had been a movie they would have had to cast Will Smith, Harrison Ford and Jolie.
    Thank Hollywood it was on HBO with really great actors.

The characters names are really great.
    A lesser writer would have given every mope a funny name like Wey Bey or a stereotypical name like D'Angelo, but they really did a great job of both keeping it real, and making it epic.

How epic is Avon Barkesdale? Out of Shakespeare.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    I worship at the alter that is The Wire. One word, Hamsterdam.

Unfortunately I had to give up HBO before the 5th season hit. I own the first three on DVD (my brother is watching them right now) and I watch season 4 when it aired. I will have to see about downloading them on iTunes or renting them via Netflix...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    who's going to fusk her over beyonce? i undertstand the allure of strange trim, but this is not realistic! should have got a more attractive woman to play the part, or a less attractive wifey.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    LAZER WOLF - I predict that this thread will bring you spoilers galore so my advice to you is this: don't click in this thread agin and enjoy all the glory that is The Wire. Truly the best show I have ever seen.

LAZER WOLF - I predict that this thread will bring you spoilers galore so my advice to you is this: don't click in this thread agin and enjoy all the glory that is The Wire. Truly the best show I have ever seen.

I think you are right.
    I just started watching season 2.
    Right now Bunk keeps bugging McNulty to find Omar for the trial.
    I just read above how Omar is so cool at the trial.
    There have been others.

Bye folks, talk all you want, I am out.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Right now Bunk keeps bugging McNulty to find Omar for the trial.

Dude! How about a spoiler warning!?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Yeah I thought The Corner (the book) was great... not sure how exactly it was quantitatively less good than Homicide. Seemed like two sides of the same coin. The writing was expert in both.

folls: I was talmbout the MINISERIES the corner, not the book (see kicks' comment to which I was responding, referencing the miniseries). both BOOKS are good (homicide being better IMO) but the corner series was boring. some good performances and writing no doubt but I could barely make it through all six episodes deal shit was sort of a snoozer sorry Roc.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

better yet: pull up the last couple of wire threads from when the series was airing last year. cull through the BS and there is some interesting discussion in those.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

My wife was critiquing the Baltimore accents last night.
    Some characters got some don't.
    She likes McNulty's partner on the boat for a good Baltimore accent.
    (We just started season 2).

Dan, as you know, my wife is from Baltimore too. We are totally addicted to the Wire right now. We're about half way through the 2nd season. Truly an incredible work of art.

We can't figure out why most of the (white) leads don't have B'more accents. Seems odd for a show obsessed with being realistic. It has to be on purpose. One hypothesis is that the accent is so ugly they thought it would turn people off.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Well one Baltimore native on the board was hard on Ziggy's accent - Ziggy's actually from Baltimore I believe (Simon said Hampden, board native said otherwise)

But I think Simon's explanation was that they couldn't simply cast from Baltimore only, and it is a tough accent to nail for non-natives.

A lot of the black characters have non-regional accents too.

Baltimore accents are all kinds of fucked up, can't really blame them!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    That makes sense.

Zig's is pretty good. Malcheck is right on.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I was at the Rock The Bells show in San Bernardino tonight. (Snoop and Tribe KILLTEDED IT, by the way.)

I'm in line at the artist guest list booth to get my tickets and see a very familiar dude standing RIGHT next to me - I'm talking shoulder-to-shoulder - rockin' a Gucci bucket with matching Gucci sneakers. I look at him and think to myself "Is it...? Nah, it can't be." Then the lady with him asks him "Are we getting tickets AND wristbands??" to which he replied in a VERY familiar voice "Of course! Gotta get them wristbands...them wristies*" and I was like "OOOOOOOH SHIIIIIIT.....WEE-BEY!!!" (aka Hassan Johnson)

I texted my fellow Wire heads on some giddy ass starstruck shit, then tried to pull the ol' pretend-I'm-on-the-phone-while-I'm-really-takin'-a-pic move, but holmes was waaaaay too close for me to pull it off. The whole booth setup was really awkward so our line was jumbled as hell. Dude asked "you mind if I go first?" I was like "No problem! You mind if I get a pic?" but really in my head I was saying "How in the hell am I NOT gonna let THEE MOTHEREFFING WEE-BEY cut in front of me?!...I've seen what he's capable of!!" Dude seemed pretty happy that I recognized him and was definitely down to take a pic. Unfortunately, I had to give my phone to a stranger to take it so I couldn't control the blurriness, but trust me, it's him. When I took a pic, other people in the crowd were like "See! I told you" and "Man, I thought you looked familiar! The Wire, right?"

*THESE words, "them wristies," was 100% Wee-Bey. It was like some sh*t his character would say, said exactly how his character would say it too. After he said it there was no mistaking him.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    How dude hasn't gotten more acting gigs is beyond me.

Random: saw this L&O:SVU rerun the other night that had "Slim Charles" in a brief cameo where he mostly gets 1) shot at and then 2) killed in a trash compactor.

Weird.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    How dude hasn't gotten more acting gigs is beyond me.

Random: saw this L&O:SVU rerun the other night that had "Slim Charles" in a brief cameo where he mostly gets 1) shot at and then 2) killed in a trash compactor.

Weird.

He's taking over for Morgan Freeman in playing Alex Cross -- the character from Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls (the James Patterson novel turned thrillers).