If this is true, Tony D R.I.P

2»

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    R.I.P. That first prt album was one of my first rap albums. sad. played easy star in the club on friday! thanks strutters for the info on that opp beat.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    R.I.P.

• idemidem 98 Posts
    he told ne he was sick but man .. that shit is sad .. no wonder he was selling his records . he sent me a signed and sealed " music makes you move " for next to nothing .... SIGN SEALED AND DELIVERED .. R.I.P. TONY DEPULA

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    he told ne he was sick but man .. that shit is sad .. no wonder he was selling his records . he sent me a signed and sealed " music makes you move " for next to nothing .... SIGN SEALED AND DELIVERED .. R.I.P. TONY DEPULA

...?

He was in a car accident. Unless you're saying something else.

Any way it goes, RIP to one of the most underrated and slept on producers of our era. It's a sad story.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Damn, this is some bad news. RIP to a seriously underrated talent.

Anyone up on the Central J Parlay EP he put out on Fat City here in the UK in about '95? Good record.

• Tony D RIP. Very sad news. Always a big fan of the Tony D sound which was real distinctive. Been listening to some YZ and a bit of solo stuff. Currently got on the deck It's My Turn/I'm Terrifyin' which is probably the earliest Tony D release I have (1987).

One of my fave productions by him:

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Damn, this is some bad news. RIP to a seriously underrated talent.

Anyone up on the Central J Parlay EP he put out on Fat City here in the UK in about '95? Good record.

I initially found out about tony-d through his old grand central releases. i still have the central j. parlay ep and the trenton connection ep. the "pound for pound" album on grand central had some nice beats too. "piano grand" is timeless...R.I.P.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Damn, I can't believe this...RIP Tony D.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The man is poorly represented on youtube. Such a great unsung producer, though. I always thought he was a fun MC too. I threw on "We Love The Hotties" and some YZ yesterday in his honor. R.I.P.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

...?

He was in a car accident. Unless you're saying something else.

he was supposedly sick prior to the accident. hence the ebay madness that was going on.

either way such a shame. the amount of underated talent lost over the years is mind blowing

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    wow, RIP to one of the greats. I always thought it was cool that he was on here. I had him on my aim friends list but I never chatted him up cause I felt like a fanboy. Wish I would have.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    dam, easy star and a few other PRT songs are some of my favorite hip hop songs ever
    this is sad.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    he was supposedly sick prior to the accident.

I hate dipping into personal business, especially it's an unknown health-related issue, but what struck me was that outside of him not having a seatbelt, the article stated that those who were trying to help him out the jeep found it difficult because of his weight.

Of course anything can be said after the fact: he should've had a seatbelt on, people should've flipped the car over to help, police and an ambulance should have been there much faster than the 10 minutes it had taken to get to the scene, a lot of different reasons and factors.

• Options
    he was supposedly sick prior to the accident.

I hate dipping into personal business, especially it's an unknown health-related issue, but what struck me was that outside of him not having a seatbelt, the article stated that those who were trying to help him out the jeep found it difficult because of his weight.

Of course anything can be said after the fact: he should've had a seatbelt on, people should've flipped the car over to help, police and an ambulance should have been there much faster than the 10 minutes it had taken to get to the scene, a lot of different reasons and factors.

No one should have tried to help him out of the vehicle in the first place if he was unresponsive, although you can't fault people for doing so since that's a natural reaction. Also, the 10 minute number is unreliable. Time slows down for people when they are waiting for an ambulance or firetruck. We usually show up 3-5 minutes after we get a call and people are always asking why we took 10 minutes to get there.

Also, a dozen people trying to move a person out of a car is misleading. If you're crammed inside a car that has flipped, only one or two people have their hands on you and the other 10 are really not doing anything but shouting advice or encouragement and making the situation more stressful. Trying to maneuver 200+ pounds of awkward weight while trying to keep a neck stable is brutally difficult, especially when your not trained and under pressure.

The article stated he had a neck injury and was blue in the face when he was pulled out. What that tells me is that Tony had a blocked airway. In car accidents like this people don't always die from the impact, they die from suffocation when their tongue rolls back and blocks their airway. If someone in the neighborhood was trained in CPR (longshot at best) they could have reached inside the car and pulled his jawbone forward which would have allowed him to breathe and kept him alive until the ambulance got there. Granted, he might have been paralyzed thereafter but the odds that he'd be alive are pretty good.

Playing the Monday morning quarterback on such a sad story makes me feel like a bag of shit, just thought I'd shed a little more perspective on the article. RIP Tony D.

No one should have tried to help him out of the vehicle in the first place if he was unresponsive, although you can't fault people for doing so since that's a natural reaction. Also, the 10 minute number is unreliable. Time slows down for people when they are waiting for an ambulance or firetruck. We usually show up 3-5 minutes after we get a call and people are always asking why we took 10 minutes to get there.

True, when I was involved in a car accident a few years ago (I was T-boned and as I said back then, the impact felt like I was being attacked by a couple of Samoans), it felt like it was taking forever but a police officer was there about three minutes after the hit, and an ambulance after that.

Playing the Monday morning quarterback on such a sad story makes me feel like a bag of shit, just thought I'd shed a little more perspective on the article.

That was a good thing (perspective), and I agree on the QB thing, just thought elements of the article was interesting enough to discuss a bit (although perhaps inappropriate, so I'll stop.)

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    damn... rip

• that is very sad news, Tony D. produced so many dope tracks

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    This is truly sad, he just had a child I believe maybe like three years ago... his wife is a really nice woman, we had a very nice conversation during one of the record revivals... I fell so bad for her, she supported his dreams hard... the Jersey, New York, Philly area is hurting. I remember seeing him at a club in Jersey called Mahorns, he we there with Naughty.

A long life is not promised, let people know how you feel about them as you may not see them again.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    Just found this clip. Pretty cool

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts

• Just found this clip. Pretty cool

Taken from Slammin' Rap Video Magazine Volume 4[/b]. Did you ever see those?

Taken from Slammin' Rap Video Magazine Volume 4[/b]. Did you ever see those?

I think I still have the first two.