Favorite Hendrix Record

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Well what is it?Mine is Axis Bold as Love with Electric Ladyland a close second.

Comments

• Well what is it?

Mine is Axis Bold as Love with Electric Ladyland a close second.

with Are You Experienced and Band of Gypsys following...

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Rainbow Bridge or Band of Gypsys

with all his studio albums as a close second.

• Electric Ladyland with Axis a close second.

I love the best songs on Axis as much as anything on Ladyland, but Ladyland to me is closer to perfect as an overall album.

• Band of Gypsies (prefer buddy miles' drumming and that version of "machine gun" is the most unfuckwithable hendrix tune ever in my books) with the more consistent Axis a very close second.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Electric Ladyland & Cry Of Love

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    axis

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts

Mine is Axis Bold as Love with Electric Ladyland a close second.

Also love the icemen's 'she's a fox'.

• recently i grabed the Rainbow Bridge album with Pali Gap which became one of my favourite Hendrix songs.
    unbelievable song! he makes the guitar talk like a human.

my choice would be Electric Ladyland and Rainbow Bridge

youtube.com

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Electric Ladyland[/b] on top, with the first two switching places every now and then.

Wow, that sounded like a description at Brazzers.com.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "F*ck HER IN THE ASS!!!"[/b]

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Axis and Cry of Love

Seriously, though, out of the legitimate Hendrix albums, I'd have to go with the posthumous Cry Of Love. It's concise, but you don't feel like Hendrix had to "compromise his personal vision, maaaaan" to get that way.

• "axis", "ladyland", and then "band of gypsies" for me, but the billy cox and buddy miles support system was far better than mitch and noel for me. the rehearsals for the fillmore shows are amazing. the version of "them changes" is a 100 times better than the one on the lp. too bad buddy's need to ramble with the singing drove jimi crazy, at least that's the story i heard.

anyone ever notice jimi and billy cox starting to play "sing a simple song" during one of the tunes? can't recall which one. i noticed that recently, which is strange because i love sly and heard that band of gypsies record a million times.

in other sly related news, he opened those fillmore shows (which makes jimi and billy referencing sly more logical). the story is sly told the family he was taking all the solos that night. i guess he wanted to show jimi how the bay got down. would love to hear those sets.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    I always enjoyed "Nine to the Universe" even though it was posthumous. Of the albums released while Jimi was alive, I think Electric Ladyland was just a small glimmer of Hendrix' genius in his later years had he not died so young.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Cry Of Love

def my fav, mixing in soul and funk influences most organically... billy cox's playing on this is beautiful... not a bum track on there, unlike all the other posthumanous albums which all are cluttered w/ a few throwaway tracks...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    i can't decide out of his studio albums, I love them all.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I havent seen Band Of Gypsies 2 out in field ever.

They had it my collge radio station back in the day.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Isle of Wight.

I think they released the entire 8/30/70 concert somewhere.
    http://blazplavi-guitarmusic.blogspot.com/2008/08/jimi-hendrix-isle-of-wight-complete.html

God Save the Queen
    Drum Solo
    Sgt. Pepper
    Spanish Castle Magic
    All Along The Watchtower
    Machine Gun
    Lover Man
    Freedom
    Red House
    Dolly Dagger
    Midnight Lightning /
    Foxy Lady
    Message To Love
    Hey Baby /
    Ezy Rider /
    Hey Joe /
    Purple Haze /
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) /
    Drum Solo /
    In From The Storm

The next night at Tivoli Gardens is also amazing, its so sloppy and off-key but dripping acid, he must have been really high.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Live Dolly Daggers are the shit.

• that hendrix blues album is probably my favorite, otherwise axis bold as love

• Hard to pick just one, I have several...

Machine Gun
    Dolly Dagger
    Room Full of Mirrors
    Star Spangled Banner rendition @ Woodstock
    Purple Haze
    Spanish Castle Magic

Jimi is my hero...I'm sorry, but I couldn't pick only one (haha)

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Hard to pick just one, I have several...

Machine Gun
    Dolly Dagger
    Room Full of Mirrors
    Purple Haze
    Spanish Castle Magic

well, none of those are albums either :rolleyes:

• Whatever...the topic actually states "record" and someone else also had same idea I did...just thinking along the lines of song titles...sorry about that...For albums, "Are You Experienced" and "Electric Ladyland"

Hard to pick just one, I have several...

Machine Gun
    Dolly Dagger
    Room Full of Mirrors
    Purple Haze
    Spanish Castle Magic

well, none of those are albums either :rolleyes:

...and none of those songs are "F*ck Her In The Ass?" Shame on you!

• When I was 15 I bought Rainbow Bridge on VHS tape and it blew my mind out in a trance. I must have watched it a hundred times. Electric Ladyland>BOJ>Axis>AUE?>Rainbow Bridge>Cry of Love>Nine to the Universe (Larry Young on organ!)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I havent seen Band Of Gypsies 2 out in field ever.

They had it my collge radio station back in the day.

I was just thinking about that one. I've seen it once in the field, felt it was too hammerated, then have summarily never seen it again. I'd even say that's his "rarest one" other than boots, but I don't think it goes for anything.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This is tough, for someone who picks apart Hendrix songs very often through ears and discussion, I would have to throw "Midnight Lighting" in the top albums just for the simple fact of "Gypsy Boy (New Rising Sun)" is on that album, then even throw "Crash Landing" album out in favorites just for the track "Captain Coconut". You can't F*ck with "Are You Experienced?" though, that is the top.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    When I was 15 I bought Rainbow Bridge on VHS tape and it blew my mind out in a trance. I must have watched it a hundred times. Electric Ladyland>BOJ>Axis>AUE?>Rainbow Bridge>Cry of Love>Nine to the Universe (Larry Young on organ!)
    I have Rainbow Bridge on VHS but CANNOT ride. (I have tried)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    its amazing how this discussion can be sen as a barometer of feeling over skill...ie the folks who like Buddy Miles over Mitch Mitchell seem to like the simplistic funky thing over argubly the greatest rock drummer ever...folks that seem to like the out of key, sloppy stuff over Jimi's studio work ...

Thankfully though no one has said they prefer Noel over Billy...Noel was a chump, but it wouldnt be the experience without him I suppose...

also I forgot to add "Live At Winterland" to my list of faves, a show that drips acid like Isle of Wight, but Jimi and Mitch were 'effing together at that show...Jimi taking off into WTF territory and Mitch seemingly having ESP knowing when and takes off with him at the exact same moments, tight son...if you havent heard it, i wholeheartedly recommend...plus it is a truly amazing recording fidelity-wise..sounds fantastic

• its amazing how this discussion can be sen as a barometer of feeling over skill...ie the folks who like Buddy Miles over Mitch Mitchell seem to like the simplistic funky thing over argubly the greatest rock drummer ever...folks that seem to like the out of key, sloppy stuff over Jimi's studio work ...

and that is as it should be for a player who brought equal amounts of feeling and skill to the table.

buddy miles was hardly a 'simplistic', one-dimensional player who absolutely paled in comparison to MM (who was admittedly a great drummer but with a totally different sound).