Groups/muscians that were ahead of their time..

Hoosier_DaddyHoosier_Daddy 141 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Jimi HendrixSly & The Family StoneKraftwerkRun-Dmc

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Okkyung Lee
    Abbey Lincoln
    Sonic Youth
    MC5

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Can
    whoever first did "R'n'B hooks" on rap songs

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Sun Ra
    Pauline Oliveros
    Wendy Carlos
    Ornette Coleman

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some more:

-Soft Machine
    -Shuggie Otis
    -Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
    -Brian Auger & Trinity
    -Mandre

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Sha Na Na

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

-Mandre

Explain?

• Bruce Haack
    Brian Eno
    David Byrne
    Larry Levan
    Herbie Hancock
    Xenakis

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Stooges and The Velvet Underground are pretty obvious choices. It took a long time for bands to adopt their sonic approaches. Now it all sounds so normal but compared to their contemporaries they're just out of nowhere.

Devo from the standpoint of their dystopian world view and the performance art method they used.

Probably should put Funkadelic in there. The LSD part is of the era but the music is pretty unique for 1969. In fact, very few have ever picked up their mantle and carried it forward.

Talking Heads to me is amazing in that they could take all their influences (Afro-beat, Funk, Punk, Art Rock) and turn it into successful pop music. No one has really been able to duplicate that feat.

Cross Eyed and Painless live in Italy

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Probably should put Funkadelic in there. The LSD part is of the era but the music is pretty unique for 1969. In fact, very few have ever picked up their mantle and carried it forward.

Plus, when you look at them from a straight R&B angle, they REALLY look ahead of their time then. In '69, only the rock bands had the LSD thing going on. With few exceptions, most of the black artists didn't get "psychedelicized" until fairly late, in 1971. But Funkadelic, along with Sly Stone and a few others, got on the "progressive soul" train early.

I'm surprised that Funkadelic never played a gig at the Fillmore East or the Fillmore West. They definitely would have turned some shit around...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Run-Dmc

Explain

and before this morphs into "list of dudes u like" can we come to an agreement on what "Ahead Of Their Time" Means, before dudes start talmbout Robin Thicke and shit.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

-Mandre

Explain?

Hey,

Andre Lewis (the leader of Mandre) was producing some next-level synth funk stuff prior to a lot of groups that were popular in that genre in the early 80's (e.g., Midnight Starr, Dazz Band, The SOS Band, etc.).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The Monks

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    KUTIMAN

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    JOSH

• John Coltrane

And, I say this after talking to a classical musician I used to pal around with. We talked music for days, and he knew shit from the 1600s through the jazz of the 1960s. And, he had one of the great explanations for why Coltrane was what he is:

"It's been hundreds of years; we know how to play Mozart. We still haven't figured out what to do with Coltrane."

Defined 'ahead of his time,' pretty perfectly for me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

-Mandre

Explain?

Hey,

Andre Lewis (the leader of Mandre) was producing some next-level synth funk stuff prior to a lot of groups that were popular in that genre in the early 80's (e.g., Midnight Starr, Dazz Band, The SOS Band, etc.).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Mandre > Daft Punk Steez

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts

these dudes I cosine from previous entries:
    Shuggie
    Coltrane
    Sun Ra

Some on my List as well:

Axelrod
    Weldon Irvine
    Eddie Fisher
    Mar Moulin
    Arthur Russell
    Gil Scott-Heron
    Azimuth
    Howlin' Wolf

• retroretro 33 Posts
    Delia Derbyshire

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Delia Derbyshire

Indeed.

Silver Apples fit the description too.

• minimini 879 Posts
    James Brown?
    Ray Charles?

• minimini 879 Posts
    Betty Davis

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Artists that create Paradigm shifts arent exaclty "AHEAD" of their time.

Wouldnt an artist that wasnt fully understood at their time be a more accurate description?

Some of the names listed were greats in their eras.

Most cats that are AHEAD languish in obscurity until the audience catches up.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I may be laughed at, but I was listening to "Love and Dancing". It's a remix album. Of Dare. From the Human League. 1981.

A remix album in 1981.

And it sounds pretty good. I prefer it to Dare. I mean, synths are the worst stocks you can invest in to avoid sounding dated, but theirs sound f*cking masive.

I know they weren't destined to "Languish in obscurity" but they were ahead of their time with the remixes.

• 2 categories of this

-
    popular & ahead

roy ayers

chic

clash

--
    unpopular & ahead

silver apples

the shaggs

free design

gary wilson

carleen & the groovers

mulatu of ethiopia

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Or they're appreciated on the grounds of their aesthetics far more than their ideas. Marcel Duchamp had an interesting take on it. He said that a great artist can't be anything but entirely appropriate in their time, but the rest of the world may fail to see it. Same conclusion, different approach.

I definitely agree with Can, Sun Ra, Eno, and the more spacey Funkadelic stuff. Although, in the case of Can it might be more about Holger Czukay's presentation of the material than the actual playing that was ahead of tis time. It's great musicianschip, but it was also on par with contemporary stuff of the era.

John Cage was ahead of his time.

Based on how relevant they still are ESG, and Liquid Liquid fit in there pretty well. They played stripped down music that was fronted by a heavy rhythm section, but fashioned itself in the same way as rock and roll bands (which also rely heavily on rhythm, but focus more on melody and harmony).

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    James Brown?
    Ray Charles?

Great musicians. Maybe ahead of their time in that a huge trend followed them, and on James Brown's part maybe as a political voice on behalf of black folks. But mostly just great musicians.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Or they're appreciated on the grounds of their aesthetics far more than their ideas. Marcel Duchamp had an interesting take on it. He said that a great artist can't be anything but entirely appropriate in their time, but the rest of the world may fail to see it. Same conclusion, different approach.

I agree

Based on how relevant they still are ESG, and Liquid Liquid fit in there pretty well. They played stripped down music that was fronted by a heavy rhythm section, but fashioned itself in the same way as rock and roll bands (which also rely heavily on rhythm, but focus more on melody and harmony).

I dont see how ESG & Liquid Liquid are still relevant?
    Is there a big band or movement, that Im missing, that owes their style to them?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I dont see how ESG & Liquid Liquid are still relevant?
    Is there a big band or movement, that Im missing, that owes their style to them?

In particular, no. But in general, I'd say yes. I think they're two bands that presented a style of music that isn't distinct enough to be a genre, but they have a unique sound. Without giving much thought to providing great examples, I would say that bands like Tortoise and Mice Parade take up the same aesthetic although they're very different from ESG and Liquid Liquid.

I'll post again after I think it out more.

• chimachima 33 Posts
    thelonious monk
    jimi hendrix

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    The Sonics