Groups/muscians that were ahead of their time..

2»

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I am sure that I will get MASSIVE amounts of hate for this one...but the Ben Folds Five were definelty ahead of thier time.
    Now, let me explain.
    While thier sound, in genereal, is pretty re-hash elton/mcartney...they were the only ones doing piano rock / singer-songwriter type crap about 10 years ago.
    When they split-up, i remember their press-release said something like "no one gives a shite about piano rock".
    Then, 5 years later, VHI is over-run with pretty boy Singer Songwriters doing the same exact same stuff.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    The Manhattan Transfer

• I am sure that I will get MASSIVE amounts of hate for this one...but the Ben Folds Five were definelty ahead of thier time.
    Now, let me explain.
    While thier sound, in genereal, is pretty re-hash elton/mcartney...they were the only ones doing piano rock / singer-songwriter type crap about 10 years ago.
    When they split-up, i remember their press-release said something like "no one gives a shite about piano rock".
    Then, 5 years later, VHI is over-run with pretty boy Singer Songwriters doing the same exact same stuff.

No hate, but being the first to rehash an existing genre is not being ahead of one's time...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    "No hate, but being the first to rehash an existing genre is not being ahead of one's time..."

I do agree, and thats why i made mention of his rehash sound, but anymore, what REALLY constitues being ahead of ones time?

Fannypack was probably the first to rehash the 80's rap sound to any acclaim with Hey Mami back 5 or 6 years ago and now its all over the place.

So i guess we should clarify. Is being aheaed of ones time just a matter of having a SOUND that is later embraced by a movement..or is it just having an idea/concpet/look before anyone else had that same idea/concept/look?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

So i guess we should clarify. Is being aheaed of ones time just a matter of having a SOUND that is later embraced by a movement..or is it just having an idea/concpet/look before anyone else had that same idea/concept/look?

being ahead of ones time is having a SOUND/Idea/Concept/Look that is LATER embraced

• jgissjgiss 42 Posts

Harry Partch
    He was way ahead of his time and many consider him still ahead of our time.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Lee "scratch" Perry?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    As much as I love the Sonics, they seem more OF their time than AHEAD OF it. Most US cities had crude garage-rock bands like this rocking the dance halls in 1965-66. You could have said the Count Five or the Shadows of Knight just as easily.

I'm assuming the Sonics were chosen because they anticipated punk-rock. Just because they had the punk sound about 10-12 years early doesn't mean they were forecasting the future. It just meant that the later bands were bringing that sound back.

The Force MC's.

They upped the ante on harmonizing w/in Hip Hop and "forcasted" Hip Hop Soul.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

The Force MC's.

They upped the ante on harmonizing w/in Hip Hop and "forcasted" Hip Hop Soul.

at least get the name right

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Lee "scratch" Perry?

Oh man, I don't mean to keep saying no to the stuff that you say, but wasn't Perry behind Tubby? Perry's sound, and his music were outrageous, but wasn't Tubby at it first?

• Not sure if they were appreciated at the time but..
    Black Sabbath.

Hey, to whoever said The Shaggs, please explain. I never understood the adoration for this group and don't really see their influence.

• Options
    Bobby Hughes Experience
    J Dilla
    Dick Hyman
    JJ Perrey
    Gabor Szabo
    Tipsy

also

Madlib
    Flying Lotus

• The Monks

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Not sure if they were appreciated at the time but..
    Black Sabbath.

they were. people bought the records, the band headlined their concerts, they were staples of "album rock" FM stations.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Simply Saucer!!

i used to view them as the best canadian rock band ever but now i see them as great beyond any regional limitations. they were late to the game in the 70s for this kind of sound, but i think they would have been worshipped if they were not born past the 60s. part of the cyborgs lp was recorded live on a rooftop mall to a small group of kids, the concert/reissue is the only live recording i wish i attended outside of curtis live because off the recording alone, there is no doubt that it was an amazing show. despite the recording resources available, the songs off that performance sound so much more alive than most of the live recordings i have - even the pro recorded/remastered many times over ish. it's like the best velvet underground meshed with piper at the gates of dawn era pink floyd and a little bit of stooges but the icing on the cake is that it's full of lyrics playing on dysfunctional unrequited love/adolescent masochism themes done in a playful but wise beyong its years manner. so teenager but ADULT teenager poetry. lots of fuzz, distortion, melody & progresson and laden with teenage but precocious idiosyncratic drama that wes anderson would dream of capturing if it werent for the cutesy stylistic crap he got caught up in that made the players less human. this band will always be near and dear to my heart

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Simply Saucer!!

i used to view them as the best canadian rock band ever but now i see them as great beyond any regional limitations. they were late to the game in the 70s for this kind of sound, but i think they would have been worshipped if they were not born past the 60s. part of the cyborgs lp was recorded live on a rooftop mall to a small group of kids, the concert/reissue is the only live recording i wish i attended outside of curtis live because off the recording alone, there is no doubt that it was an amazing show. despite the recording resources available, the songs off that performance sound so much more alive than most of the live recordings i have - even the pro recorded/remastered many times over ish. it's like the best velvet underground meshed with piper at the gates of dawn era pink floyd and a little bit of stooges but the icing on the cake is that it's full of lyrics playing on dysfunctional unrequited love/adolescent masochism themes done in a playful but wise beyong its years manner. so teenager but ADULT teenager poetry. lots of fuzz, distortion, melody & progresson and laden with teenage but precocious idiosyncratic drama that wes anderson would dream of capturing if it werent for the cutesy stylistic crap he got caught up in that made the players less human. this band will always be near and dear to my heart

word.

I was in the record store I now work in 15 years ago or so, and this had just come out and it was playing in the store...I had just started to play in my first band, and it sounded like us, or rather we sounded exactly like them...we thought we had an original thing going on, but no, these guys nailed it from the get go apparently. So I immediately bought the CD didnt play in a band for another few years.

let me nominate this guy:

Michael Rother...guitarist in Kraftwerk, Neu, Harmonia...although lots of dudes had filtered their guitars with pedals and electronics before and even his contemporaries (like Ash Ra's Manuel Gottesing) he was the first/best to create songs and melodies that stuck with you with this otherworldly/ambient far out guitar, not just a cloud of freak smoke and feedback...it still sounds like it is from the future. He wasnt a one trick pony however, check "Lilac Angel" from "Neu! 2", its pure savage punk from 72.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

let me nominate this guy:

Michael Rother...guitarist in Kraftwerk, Neu, Harmonia...although lots of dudes had filtered their guitars with pedals and electronics before and even his contemporaries (like Ash Ra's Manuel Gottesing) he was the first/best to create songs and melodies that stuck with you with this otherworldly/ambient far out guitar, not just a cloud of freak smoke and feedback...it still sounds like it is from the future. He wasnt a one trick pony however, check "Lilac Angel" from "Neu! 2", its pure savage punk from 72.

Peace to the gods, cause this dude was on it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    puff daddy

• Lee "scratch" Perry?

I wholeheartedly agree, just on the strength of his amazing production techniques.

Some others:

Rufus Harley
    The Fugs (lyrically speaking)
    Leon Theremin and Clara Rockmore
    Delia Derbyshire
    Art Blakey
    Arthur Brown
    Prince Buster, Buster brothers
    Love and Arthur Lee, some would say of their time but "7 and 7 is" was way ahead
    Sun Ra
    Dorothy Ashby
    Tropicalia music from Brazil
    Fela Kuti/Monomono/Mulatu Astatke/Manu Dibango
    Jean Jacques Perrey and Gershon Kingsley
    early Funkadelic/Eddie Hazel
    Jimi Hendrix
    Shuggie Otis
    Can
    Devo
    Kraftwerk
    Yellow Magic Orchestra
    Art of Noise
    Pink Floyd, mainly thinking of "Dark Side of the Moon"
    King Tubby
    Paul C McKasty
    Bomb Squad/Shocklee brothers/PE
    Madlib
    Erykah Badu...more so now than her first introduction
    Les Trolls
    DJ/Rupture
    DJ Mutamassik - Masri Mokassar album
    Beck
    Stereolab, retro in a way, but they always had their own time
    Roger Troutman
    Lonnie Liston Smith

• Ornette Coleman - Shape of Jazz To Come

Dick Hyman - on two fronts: his compositions and use of Moog synthesizer

Louis and Bebe Barron - check their soundtrack to Shirley Clarke's "Bridges-Go-Round" short film

Aphex Twin
    Autechre

• minimini 879 Posts
    Lee "scratch" Perry?

I wholeheartedly agree, just on the strength of his amazing production techniques.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

• darkdark 52 Posts
    YES
    King Crimson
    Buffalo Springfield
    Bob Trimble
    Beatles...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Manuel G??ttsching