Veteran of the Strut? SUMMARIZE YOURSELF

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Are you a total strut nerd who has been here since the conception?Do you 'hold it down' for the strut?Do you often strut in public?WELL THEN IT"S TIME TO MAN UP!As a relative newcomer, I'd like to know a little bit more about the regulars. Just basic rundown shit - what you do for a living, music you're feeling hard right now, where you post from (work, home, etc)... whatever. Just a little info so you're more than a screen name making continual inside jokes with other strut vets. Consider this thread a little class in soulstrut socio-political history.WORD

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Well I guess I'm first.

35 years old. Live in Berkeley, CA. I'm a high school teacher. 9th and 12th graders for going on 10 years now. Teach at Oakland Technical High School. District is fucked up, school doesn't give a shit, homework kills my brain, still wouldn't do anything else, and hey I get paid vacations! Like right now!

Usually post from home. When school's in I only have a little bit of free time to do so because my girlfriend wants my attention and so does my kid. My girlfriend likes to call my computer "The Square Headed Bitch," and has threatened to "Kick its ass" time to time because I spend a lot of time with it. I use to read every single post on the Strut, but because of the time constraint and the sheer mass of posts these days I hardly read most of them unless it piques my interest but I still feel this is one of the places I HAVE to check at least once a day.

Listen to all kinds of stuff, as long as its catchy and has a hook. My roots are in basic Soul and Funk. Getting more into European stuff these days.

Been writing record reviews of everything I listen to for 4 years now I think. Over 2600 so far and still going.

Other than that I read a lot during vacation, mostly all History, usually CA History because that's one of the classes I teach. Also love playing and watching basketball. Also love eating food! Good, CHEAP food.

I have met any Strutters out in the real world before and after Soulstrut and I have to say that everyone I've met has been cool and a pleasure to meet, swap stories and usually get nerdy and talk about records with.

I love you Soulstrut!

That is all.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Records.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I changed the game and shut the whole fucking thing down. Before me Soulstrut was weak and after me it was a wrap. Now pass me some motherfucking coffee so I can get busy before I have to move my car.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I changed the game and shut the whole fucking thing down. Before me Soulstrut was weak and after me it was a wrap. Now pass me some motherfucking coffee so I can get busy before I have to move my car.

Records

what they said.

• 42 years old (definitely one of the older folks here). On the Strut for over three years now (I think...I don't remember so good no more...).
    Married with one kid. I work at a newspaper in the Infotech dept (from whence I do most of my 'Strutting').
    I do a web site (www.funky16corners.net) and blog (http://funky16corners.blogspot.com) where I write about funk and soul and whatever else I dig.
    Been collecting funk seriously for about 6 - 7 years, soul and everything else for close to 30.
    Seriously into New Orleans music.
    Many tattoos.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Been Down Since Day One:

NICE!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

MORE! MORE!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yes more...

I kinda wanted to hit reply on that one...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

TRUTH

Oh also I saw this and ran out cause I forgot about the car... beat the cop by like 30 seconds...

SON.... STUDIO CARPET.... PEOPLE.... HOLD ON.....

DO NOT RISK IT

• 2001[/b]??? I've been here longer than I thought...

Rip Van Strutwinkle...

i did hit reply.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    OK. I'm Dizzy Bull. I have no idea how long I've been here, I just know its been years. I am soulstrut's Easy Listening (wannabe) expert. I put out a rackord last year called Welkshake thanks to soulstrut. I have been a part of a few very entertaining beefs, including TheCrates and L13. I am the first person to type "ZING!" on this website. Although I am a socal beach dude, I seem to get along with the Eastcoast Assholes. Even UMAD is the hommie!

Hmmm, other things I am known for is getting fired from my last job and being unemployed for most of last year. When I finally got this new job, I created the "Salary Diz" alias so that I could have something special to post as from work.

OK. I'm Dizzy Bull. I have no idea how long I've been here, I just know its been years. I am soulstrut's Easy Listening (wannabe) expert. I put out a rackord last year called Welkshake thanks to soulstrut. I have been a part of a few very entertaining beefs, including TheCrates and L13. I am the first person to type "ZING!" on this website. Although I am a socal beach dude, I seem to get along with the Eastcoast Assholes. Even UMAD is the hommie!

Hmmm, other things I am known for is getting fired from my last job and being unemployed for most of last year. When I finally got this new job, I created the "Salary Diz" alias so that I could have something special to post as from work.

Don't forget...

You also wrote that thing... In that rooms title... That one time on Soulseek...

Which you might have been the first to post a fun convo from there also...

PS- Dizzy Bull > Salary Diz

Salary Diz came off as to upper crust mid management type stylee... While Dizzy is more "Hey.. Let's party!!"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm A*am AKA Guzzo AKA the skinny dude y'all love to hate. Originally known on here for having an obsession with Hair OST's probably known better now as that "modern soul guy".

When I first posted here I was a lovable pothead college student , now through a few beefs and opinions I've gathered a different rep that I've cultivated into worktime entertainment.

Probably best known for my beefs with HCrink, Alien, Ness, Strawman, etc. During my long ass stay here I've gone from record store emplyee to Hollywood whore, written an article for Wax Poetics that woke the sleeping beast that is Anthony Pearson, and cohosted a radio show called wHITEY ON THE MOOn with the homie Iron Monkey.

oh and I like to catalog rackords

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Hey y'all, Im Eric...been on the strut for three years or so, my old handle before the great crash of 2002 was hookin' in the fort...I have a well known dislike for invisible glocks and the Philadelphia Eagles. Except for Iron Monkey's metal mix a long time ago, I like to think I am responsible for most of the hard rock and metal discussions on this board...just trying to show folks there are more to those LPs than the occasional drum break.
    Used to work in the school system as an trainer/administrator in the athletic dept of the FWISD, wanted to be my own boss and tried that for awhile but I guess I should of tried my own business instead of trying to save a dying one, because, well, it died. Now I slang raers at the wonderful Shangri-La Records in Memphis, TN..the best record shop(well there are only 5 vinyl shops in town) in town. I just applied for a job at Stax as an event co-ordinator(wish me luck!) The strut has been a wonderful place to talk music, talk life(lots of strutters talked me through the deaths of both my parents and the loss of a fiances) and talk shit. Made a few good friends offa this here board. I hope it never goes away.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I am Phill (with TWO L's dammit). I am old. I like a lot of current rap (although some probably think I don't) but, like most old fucks, I do miss the good ol' days of hip hop (it can't be helped- you will understand when you too become an old fuck). I have been here since the crates list days. My main contributions to soulstrut society that I can think of are using the location feature to say anything you want to say rather than just to state your location (nobody really cares where you're located at, I don't think). I was the first to do this. I also am the inventor of "__________strut" (as in "sweet soulstrut", "classicalstrut" "metalstrut", etc.). Nobody else thought to do these things before I did. NOBODY. Give me my recognition, batches.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    TerryClubbup summarized me pretty succinctly in just two words.

Jacques DuCrunk.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I am Bevan. I am Australian. I've lived in Japan for the past 14 months and will leave in December. In the past, I've run a lot of websites (bombhiphop.com, turntablism.com (r.i.p.), djsheep.com). I used to have a website called "The Tasman Connection" dedicated to Aussie Records, but then I realized about 80% of the records on there sucked and I shut it down because I got sick of updating it. I used to work for 75ark Records in San Francisco but they folded. I collected hip-hop records since the 90s. Then around 2001 I started diggin' for dusties. My collection is approx. about 5,000 hip-hop records, 3,000 jazz/funk/ost, etc. I also have big collections of shit like hip-hop magazines, tapes, vhs, posters, etc. I love Dusty Fingers type shit and I go nuts at periods of time on regional records (this past 14 months have been all Japanese raers, before that it was all about the Aussies...)...

I've been on these boards for a hot little second now... maybe 3-4 years? there was one time when the board crashed and it e-mailed everyone with my password and there were 100 djsheep's on here... does anyone here remember that?

I blew up that record Quasar - Man Coda and one time I had like 15 copies of Tatsuro Yamashita - Spacy...

I go through phases of posting and not posting... I'm posting now...

Peace to the people who i deal with on and off the strut (trades, chats, etc.); guzzo, trew, motown67, day, ironfeet, yoigotbeats, meatogre, down_beat, deerock, voms72, davesrecords, kenny, aschrock, raj, big chan, young einstein, young phonics, paulnice, soulman, etc...

peace!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    This is off slightly track but I want to get in touch with P**l W*stn*y - possibly, Sims (?) in a former Soul Strut life - need to thank dude. Anyone know?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This is off slightly track but I want to get in touch with P**l W*stn*y - possibly, Sims (?) in a former Soul Strut life - need to thank dude. Anyone know?

Faded_Glory

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Thanks. Been meaning to do this for months....

I'm Billy... And I'm a Gemini... I like long walks and records that have secret messages in them (non rock mind you).

I first started posting on here a year before I reg. this nic. But for the life of me, I can't remember what that nick was...

I have been around records my whole life.

I've stated this once before but, my uncle was a DJ back in the 70's and opened up a kinda famous record shop for DJ's here in Toronto called Starsound (Later called Traxx). Also owned a DJ mag called Streetsound.

When I was around 8 I got my first job working there for fun... I use to seal people's records in a bag after the purchase. That was around the time I saw my uncle get stabbed over a Diana Ross record.

When I was 17 I went to work for him on the regular and worked at both locations full time. During that time I did a bunch of side things (All record related) and around 98 moved to London to work for Uptown records in Soho. Was there for a year and got home sick and moved back.

Took 2 years off and went to Scottsdale, AZ for school and lived the good life in the sun. Ended up coming back...

Over a year ago I opened up my own record shop here in Toronto with one of my best friends Dave (DJ Serious). A few months ago we got bought up by another good friend Aki (Cosmos Records). Kinda miss spending my day selling records and now work at the University of Toronto.

In the last 2 months I've been asked by 2 different people to open up a shop with them and asked by another shop to go work for them and I'm torn (Cause I'm not sure I wanna sell records anymore... Just listen to them!). Maybe I should ask AP in his advice column...

I like posting pics on here instead of txt...

Fav record moments are... Going through the Maceo (Old School Toronto legendary DJ) collection and being like and buying it before a price was ever mentioned (An old friend of mine...)

And also the time Starting from Scratch and I came across a shit load of Main Source Think/Atom OG's back around 95 @ vinyl museum. I didn't even know what it was until Mark told me. I swear, there was probably 30+ more copies there that I wished I search harder for. I think we walked out of there with 40+ copies between us.

Also... I worked for a bit at my uncle's distro centre for a bit and I remember my first day I had to open boxes of the new De La 3 Feet high before it was released. Must have been 2 thousand copies and I was listenning to the promo copy and thinking... That's dope...

Besides MSN and IRC, I pretty much well just come on here. There is no better forum on the net IMO. Not just for the record talk... But 90% of the "NRR" thread kick ass...

Today???s .gif is as follows:

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Today???s .gif is as follows:

Faded Glory is a good dude and that gif is really tripping me out this morning.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm Jeff, almost 28, just moved to Sonoma County, CA from the OC - one day I'll get over my fear of "the City" & come down & meet the bay area cartel. Anyhow, I've been here close to two years & seem to be notorious for having the most posts under one account. Other than that I don't really do anything important. I'm not a current/former hip-hop luminary, superstar DJ, Super Collector, super dealer, etc.

I found soulstrut when I got fired from my job & started selling records on eBay. I think I bothered people when I first got here.... no, I'm sure that I did. I used to start posts like "what does your realtor look like" & "what kind of haircut should I get". I guess that stuff is more common now, but I used to get a lot of shit about it. It was fun. I havn't been around for a few months cause of computer issues & moving & I'm kinda slow getting back into fighting shape. Anyhow, I've met a lot of swell people here whom I consider friends. Some I've had the pleasure of meeting, some I have not yet.

Records: been collecting since I was about 18. I became obsessed totally about 4-5 years ago. this place being a big reason. Music: played bass & guitar since I was 15. Play in semi-serious bands with my acid casualty friends for quite a while without sucesses. This was before "Emo" got big - I'm sure we'd be more popular if we played now. In fact I think the other guys are doing pretty well now. I know absolutely nothing about hip-hop - except that Danno3000 is the future of it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Dan

I sell records through my website. I am a volunteer coordinator for a school literacy program and also bring library books to 4th graders.

Like many I am a refugee of the Crates list, which is now the Breaks.

I belive that it is up to us to heal the world. I belive that peace is only obtained through justice.

I think Vitamin is an idealistic guy who wrongly belives that peace and justice can be obtained through US military action.

I used to read the whole board back in the days when that was possible. In those days if a post ran over 1 page it was quickly killed by a jpeg of a shark jumping.

I miss the days when Asprin was the only strutter who knew how to post jpegs.

I dislike posts that are inside jokes, and posters who are just typing for no reason.

Grew up in DC, moved to Okmulgee, then Portland, Seattle, Syracuse and settled in Portland.

I grew up listening to my older brother and sister and uncles folk, blues and soundtrack records. Got a portable transitor radio when I was about 12 and listened to 1968 top 40; Lady Madonna, Dock Of The Bay, Mrs Robinson, Grazing In THe Grass, Hello I Love, Harper Valley PTA, Hey Jude, Love Child, Crimson & Clover, Everyday People, Dizzy (my sister had the 45) Aquarius, In The YEar 2525, Sugar Sugar (I loved the Monkees).

When I got into my own music I prized my gospel, country blues and folk records over my rock records.

Didn't really get into electric blues, funk and soul until about '79.

Just bought a bunch of Latinjazz kinda records, a lot from the 80s. Lots of good Latin was recorded in the 80s. Top 3 for musical sounds from that batch; Toots In Memphis, Nestor Torress II, Earnest Ranglin From Kingston To Miami.

Favorite posters; Soulman Phill, Bam, Motown, O-Dub, Monty, Miss Bassie, people bringing knowledge.

I brought Soulstrut Beats Over Bagdad to support our troops, now our trooper is posting to soulstrut.

I think I am so hyper interesting that I do these long ass posts.

Dan

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    plaese to define veteran?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I am David.

Member since September 2001, and 200 records.
    I used to post as sketch. Now I post as dCastillo.
    I started from the Illmatic liner notes.
    Found my way to the crates list.
    I was naive back then. I still am.
    But I know how to rock.

Hmmmm. I like to produce, sample, manipulate and compile, but I equally enjoy sitting down to a nice musical masterpiece, or just a focused musical piece. I'm into all kinds of music. I still like drum breaks, and am still known to lose my cool over them.

I think listening is more important than speaking, as it also enhances the speech.

I collect records. I will not attempt to justify my collecting impulse. I know I have a problem. But at the same time, I love music more than anything else in this world.

Cheers.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    plaese to define veteran?

you