what song convinced the east coast-

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
that the south was on top? single or album.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    good question

I wonder if it as a single song or an overwhelming great album.

I would think it was a cumination of record sales,many singles, and stagnant creativity on a POP level that gave way to the shift.

The proper question to me would be what song/album put the nail on the coffin - per se.

Pagin Faux....

• south been makin it hot for a minute but these semi-recent 12s took it to another level

still tippin
    go dj
    soul survivor

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    the souths been hot, but my question is what song/album made the tri-state realize that atl/tx/la,etc was runnin tings.

the souths been hot, but my question is what song/album made the tri-state realize that atl/tx/la,etc was runnin tings.

Like how The Chronic was a Paradigm Shift for the West?

• This topic comes up in discussions alot and I have to say the South has had it's share of good and bad music. People can hate but No Limit/Cash Money had a major roll in the South blowing up. But don't forget about Rap-A-Lot and The Dungeon Family.

BTW the song that should of convinced the East Coast was "HA" Juvenile!

• is it still cool to pretend the south is dope?

another classic!!!

hahahahahahahahahaha

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    is it still cool to pretend the south is dope?

another classic!!!
    THAT DALLAS BOOGIE

• BTW the song that should of convinced the East Coast was "HA" Juvenile!

good point

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

right. i know it wasn't as sudden as hearing the chronic coming out of everyone's car the day after it dropped, but what was the southern version of that for nyc?

In '98. I dont know. East Coast was till doin things then.

I would say things started to look grim after 2000.

• Like how The Chronic was a Paradigm Shift for the West?
    right. i know it wasn't as sudden as hearing the chronic coming out of everyone's car the day after it dropped, but what was the southern version of that for nyc?

Jeezy - Thug Motivation 101

Somethin similair would have to be an album that East Coast Hip Hop fans Fully embraced as a Classic and prefer that over their own shit.

Just throwin it out there but I wonder how Stankonia might fit in this convo.

I dont think there is some underground album that was big in the South but didnt make an impact on the "east coast". It would have to be a big single or album that was undeniable up and down.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

I don't think that would be too off the mark. I definately remember that one getting a lot of peoples' attention.

In general, I think The Neptunes and Timbaland blew open the door for new rap sounds coming from anywhere, and the south was just the best positioned to rush through the door once it was opened.

• i loved this song when stuff started popping up:

but then there was stuff like "wanna be a baller" and that Drama guy

U have to factor in Krunk as a big factor in the early millenia as music that got mad club play in the EC cities.

Lil Jon was errywhere, but only as a sound vs. threatining as a lyricist.

Incidentally, if we use BET as the gauge, the South was at least on equal footing with, if not dominating, the East Coast by the mid to late 90s.

I don't think that would be too off the mark. I definately remember that one getting a lot of peoples' attention.

In general, I think The Neptunes and Timbaland blew open the door for new rap sounds coming from anywhere, and the south was just the best positioned to rush through the door once it was opened.

By the time the Neptunes and Timbo were all over the radio here in NYC, cats like Scarface were already Canonized by The "East".

The Jay-Z/UGK collabo is very important to this discussion.

b/w

The HA single gained legs here in NYC when Jay'Z added his verse.

• Incidentally, if we use BET as the gauge, the South was at least on equal footing with, if not dominating, the East Coast by the mid to late 90s.

I do remember rap city at the time being a somewhat even mix of like juvenile/outkast etc and pun/beatnuts/mobb

• ..which makes me realize how Loud going under had a big impact on EC rap

..which makes me realize how Loud going under had a big impact on NYC rap

Not much.

The mixtape game was real healthy.

• ..which makes me realize how Loud going under had a big impact on NYC rap

Not much.

The mixtape game was real healthy.

Good point.. But maybe in terms of the sound? Seems like something had changed to me (a non NYCer)

I think one's gonna be hard pressed to find That ONE album like The Chronic in '92.

The game had become so big and flooded that is hard to narrow the change to ONE joint. There was just too much goin on, unlike in '92 when the industry/game was easier to gauge.

Incidentally, if we use BET as the gauge, the South was at least on equal footing with, if not dominating, the East Coast by the mid to late 90s.

I do remember rap city at the time being a somewhat even mix of like juvenile/outkast etc and pun/beatnuts/mobb

The West Coast still had a big presence in the MID 90's. 94-96?

BET is a flawed gauge..IMO.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Jeezy - Thug Motivation 101
    in terms of albums,this may come the closest to being the album that dominated in the east.

By the time the Neptunes and Timbo were all over the radio here in NYC, cats like Scarface were already Canonized by The "East".

b/w

Around my way, Scarface was pretty much canonized around 1991. I don't think he had as much of an impact on the massive shift that took place in the late 90s.

And the Jay-Z collabos w/ UGK and Juve, while perfectly acceptable turning points in their own right, did not precede the blow up of The Neptunes and Timbaland.

The West Coast still had a big presence in the MID 90's. 94-96?

BET is a flawed gauge..IMO.

Yeah, BET is definately a flawed gauge-- because they programmed predominately to black America, not America. I just thought it was worth pointing out that they pushed the west coast and the south pretty hard early on, whether it was the constant No Limit shit in '96, or Lil Jon's "I Like Dem Girls" in, what was that, '98?

b/w

Around my way, Scarface was pretty much canonized around 1991. I don't think he had as much of an impact on the massive shoft that took place in the late 90s.

And the Jay-Z collabos w/ UGK and Juve, while perfectly acceptable turning points in their own right, did not precede the blow up of The Neptunes and Timbaland.

But the Neptunes and Timberland werent percieved as Souf artists to the degree as UGK.

• "Ha!"
    Lil Jon
    Luda
    "Still Tippin'"
    "Big Pimpin'"
    Jeezy

I don't think there's one album that you can say did it all, but all of the above had a piece of it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The correct answer (song-wise) goes a lil something like this:

TO THE WINDOW, TO THE WALL...

• ludacris - back for the first time & word of mouf