underground hip-hop "classics" from this decade

Comments

• I'm sayin.

There's no wonder people were focusing on making a hot 12" with those kind of numbers dominating.

I think it would be easier to list classic 12"s from early this decade. There were alot more than albums.

• actually, there was a time when we were selling 40,000-60,000 singles. I remember the day we shipped 30,000 Common-199 singles in one day! So shit was really real like that back then....

amir

Curious question, how many copies did something like DITC Day One move? I know a couple of dudes who put out indy 12's around that era and remember the #'s they were moving and was pretty impressed.

• you're right most cats were making instant classics as singles but it wasn't until the late 90's and early 2000's that cats decided that they wanted to make albums....when that happened things got tough for alot of cats. alot of bedroom mcs starting making albums and thinking they were the shit.....i really miss the days of pushing 30-40K ditc singles...

amir

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

Is european rap automatically excluded from classic status or how does it work?

Nah, I'm just f*cking with you. I'm not really feeling Eurorap, though.

You sure? Eurorap is as diverse as US Rap is. There's a lot to be missed as there's a serious amount of crap like everywhere.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    People Under The Stairs OST (get familiar you chin-scratchers)

I was going to say "The Next Step" but that came out in '98 (right?) so I didn't.

• i mean from memory i believe the only ditc single that didn't do 30+ was dignified soldiers...but full scale ep did 60+ i know that. trust me, back then shit was out of this world....i don't think the fat beats of today could even come close to that...

I'm surprised nobody mentioned these:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Not hip hop.

• Third Sight - Zodiac Killer b/w Will I Get Shot By A Dope Fiend?
    http://www.discogs.com/Third-Sight-Zodiac-Killer/release/455456

PUTS - Question In The Form Of An Answer
    http://www.discogs.com/release/237311
    Youth explosion is a hot track and i really like We'll Be There a lot too.

Not hip hop.

True, but what would you call it? R&B ?

• I likes KoolMotor alot but not Classic.
    Id take that Fat Jon solo joint over it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Not hip hop.

True, but what would you call it? R&B ?

Crap.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I'll add:

Diverse - One AM

Dope beats on here

I likes KoolMotor alot but not Classic.
    Id take that Fat Jon solo joint over it.

I agree, Humanoid Erotica & Wave Motion are real dope.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    People Under The Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer.
    Ugly Duckling - Journey to Anywhere.
    Deltron 3030.
    Baby Blak - Once You Go Blak.
    K-Otix - Universal.
    J-Zone - A Job Ain't Nuthin' But Work.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    KoolMotor

Haven't listened to this all the way through in years. I really like that moody instrumental disco joint on it, and that's the one song I keep returning to. As this is most likely a Fat Jon thing, I ought to check out his solo stuff (which I haven't).

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    milano-"deal with a feeling"

Great record. Did this dude ever do an album?

I generally shrink from the term "classic" as applied to recent-era hip-hop, but for me, Masta Ace's Disposable Arts and Long Hot Summer were both solid records. And laugh all you like, but I bumped that Theodore Unit album all summer in 2004.

I throw in a few Euro classics:

UK

UK

UK

FR

GER

SWE

Ty is good, Vadim so-so, and I prefer Run Come Save Me as far as Rodney's concerned. The others I don't know.

• it's funny to read this discussion on the same board that just recently put 3 Feet High and Rising into question.

• I generally shrink from the term "classic" as applied to recent-era hip-hop, but for me, Masta Ace's Disposable Arts and Long Hot Summer were both solid records.

I like songs from both these albums, but damn, the skits make me not want to listen to the album at all.

• Deltron 3030.

Loved this at the time but went back a last year and could not feel.

While I do ride for 3030, I prefer the instrumental album....Del tends to get on my nerves after a while.

• i know he worked on one but not sure if it ever came out...honestly, man i stop paying attention to indie rap or underground rap after i left fat beats in jan. 2005. i didn't love the shit no more....had been there since late 1996 so I needed something else...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Wow

Worse than I could have imagined

Delete this thread immediately and ban everybody that poasted in it

it's funny to read this discussion on the same board that just recently put 3 Feet High and Rising into question.

It's the old "obscure 45s over the essentials" debate, but with a different t-shirt on. I kind of agree with Amir's point; over the last decade, hip-hop has gone back to being the singles-driven medium it was in the early-to-late 80s. I'm pretty surprised if I hear more than a handful of albums each year that I'd bump from end to end. Also, much as I love 3 Feet High, it's not my favourite De La album. Its true classic status is undeniable, though.

• Wow

Worse than I could have imagined

Delete this thread immediately and ban everybody that poasted in it

it just got started.....

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

J-Live's first LP (the one with the piano joint)

Are we talking about "the best part"? Many good songs on that, but its really a mid-90s album that took 6 years to come out. Not sure if that fits the question at hand.

regardless, there are at least a handful of tracks on this album that were pretty mind blowing.

His follow up "all of the above" was good, but not what I would call classic.

and for your listening pleasure:

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Is european rap automatically excluded from classic status or how does it work?

Nah, I'm just f*cking with you. I'm not really feeling Eurorap, though.

You sure? Eurorap is as diverse as US Rap is. There's a lot to be missed as there's a serious amount of crap like everywhere.

Tender inferiority complexes revealed...

• That Scoob Doop RedMan Mixtape "album" is Classic IMO

Not heard that for a few years, but it still sounds great.