underground hip-hop "classics" from this decade

Comments

• milano-"deal with a feeling", juggaknotz-"generally", big L-"Flambouyant" , Big L-"Holdin it Down" to name a few of the top i would consider "classic" of the last decade...this last decade wasn't that great as the 90's obviously...

amir

• Underground music generally gets re-discovered not holding on for the ride.

Can u clarify? I dont understand.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    double pressing[/b] at the very least in the instance of the Edan.

It's only 35 minutes long, though. A 2xLP seems excessive.

• What did they do for "underground rap"? And was it a good thing?

• Dilated Peoples
    Jurassic 5

Given what they did for "underground" rap at the end of the 90s, I'm pretty surprised they haven't been upped yet.

I ride for Jurassic 5 but Power By Numbers isnt Classic.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Underground music generally gets re-discovered not holding on for the ride.

It might take a newer group sampling/versioning the tracks or biting lyrics or beats. I know this comparison is stupid but Darondo, BOSCOE, Cymande...

Regional popularity or niche (dancefloor/radio) popularity aside, these records are bigger than ever now because of quality and a sound that hasn't been done to death.

I feel that so much underground hip-hop has a similar sound (Jel/Dilla) it is really hard for outsiders to discern (they all look the same related).

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Is J5 underground? If we are talking about underground cats that made it big I think lil wayne wins.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

You're right, just that it's a little quiet for playing out.

More singles then.

It might take a newer group sampling/versioning the tracks or biting lyrics or beats. I know this comparison is stupid but Darondo, BOSCOE, Cymande...

Regional popularity or niche (dancefloor/radio) popularity aside, these records are bigger than ever now because of quality and a sound that hasn't been done to death.

I feel that so much underground hip-hop has a similar sound (Jel/Dilla) it is really hard for outsiders to discern (they all look the same related).

So if Typical Cats gets rediscovered in twenty years by kids mining post-millienia Hip Hop, that should determine its Classic Rating?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Underground music generally gets re-discovered not holding on for the ride.

So if Typical Cats gets rediscovered in twenty years by kids mining post-millienia Hip Hop, that should determine its Classic Rating?

Damn, if it still sounds good in 20 years, I would say yes.
    But that's just me. I am not a big "this track was the jam at every house party in year XX" sort of dude, I am just looking at it as time tested.

• Handsome Boy Modeling School - So Hows Your Girl?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Handsome Boy Modeling School - So Hows Your Girl?

Good call for sure.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Qwel is ridiculous -- one of the most slept on dudes of all time.

While I can understand how some would find him annoying, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Dude does need to step down offa his soapbox, though, if he ever wants people to listen to him.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I throw in a few Euro classics:

UK

UK

UK

FR

GER

SWE

More singles then.

A1 Polite Meeting (Intro)
    A2 Funky Voltron[/b]
    A3 I See Colours[/b]
    A4 Fumbling Over Words That Rhyme[/b]
    A5 Murder Mystery
    A6 Torture Chamber[/b]
    B1 Making Planets[/b]
    B2 Time Out (Segue)
    B3 Rock And Roll
    B4 Beauty[/b]
    B5 The Science Of Two[/b]
    B6 Smile
    B7 Promised Land

More than half the album appeared on 12" or 7".

Please don't.

Damn, if it still sounds good in 20 years, I would say yes.
    But that's just me. I am not a big "this track was the jam at every house party in year XX" sort of dude, I am just looking at it as time tested.

• double pressing[/b] at the very least in the instance of the Edan.

More singles then.

A1 Polite Meeting (Intro)
    A2 Funky Voltron[/b]
    A3 I See Colours[/b]
    A4 Fumbling Over Words That Rhyme[/b]
    A5 Murder Mystery
    A6 Torture Chamber[/b]
    B1 Making Planets[/b]
    B2 Time Out (Segue)
    B3 Rock And Roll
    B4 Beauty[/b]
    B5 The Science Of Two[/b]
    B6 Smile
    B7 Promised Land

More than half the album appeared on 12" or 7".

Was the "low-sound" done on purpose to ape the old steez or was it just bad pressing?

B3 Rock And Roll

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Was the "low-sound" done on purpose to ape the old steez or was it just bad pressing?
    I'd put money on a label fuckup.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

Please don't.

Too late.

Is european rap automatically excluded from classic status or how does it work?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Hahahaa, that shit made me laugh hard!

emorap emorap emorap emorap emorap emorap emorap emorap emorap emorap emorap emorap

This dude lives in my town and I have met him before.
    It was crazy, he was selling out in CA and NY and his shows were only like half full here, everyone was like whooo? Then he got MTV money and it changed.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• Where is all the Down South Hip Hop?

Havent they been running thangs form a minute?

Handsome Boy Modeling School - So Hows Your Girl?

Good call for sure.

F*ck Yeah.

Dizzee Rascal[/b]

Please don't.

Too late.

Is european rap automatically excluded from classic status or how does it work?

Nah, I'm just f*cking with you. I'm not really feeling Eurorap, though.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Where is all the Down South Hip Hop?

Havent they been running thangs form a minute?

Empanadamn is from the south and pretty much knows all those classics. I'm sure he's referring to backpacker stuff.

• In this decade rap is so splintered into sub-genres that this discussion is pretty much just people throwing out things they like rather than agreed upon classics - which i don't think there could be any. I, for one, never really got tough guy/scary/themes moodyloops rap, but that's just me - it doesn't make those records less classic to some people.

Most people in the early 2000's were so focused on just making hot 12"s for fat beats that they lost focus of the art of making a cohesive album. There was a time in the early 2000's that 12"s were selling 20-30,000 units. YES that just happened.

My votes go for:
    Edan Beauty and The Beat
    Ugly Duckling Fresh Mode EP
    People Under The Stairs OST (get familiar you chin-scratchers)
    The first J5 EP
    J-Live's first LP (the one with the piano joint)
    Quasimoto

Ty's First record was dope too.

carry on with your carryin on yall

• The first J5 EP

'97

• actually, there was a time when we were selling 40,000-60,000 singles. I remember the day we shipped 30,000 Common-199 singles in one day! So shit was really real like that back then....

amir