Good Times TV Show !!!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I waiting for that season to drop on dvd. They've been slow to drop that shit. Then the marathon shows the penny season(all this past wkend). Makes me say "hmmmmmmmmmm..."?
    Excellent point. That as well as Diff'rent Strokes, the Jeffersons and What's Happening are also in the same boat. Thank goodness the whole six seasons of Sanford and Son has been released.

Theyve all dropped pretty much within 5 to 8 months of each other...........then nothin'. I chalked up the good times scenario to Janet Jackson's presence.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Anyone ever used to watch "That's My Mama?"

That barber wrote 'Never Can Say Goodbye'....

I know, Clifton Davis.
    He played in 'Amen' as well, right?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I know, Clifton Davis.

Right, as did Jester Hairston, the older gent in the foreground on the left.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I remember the episode when Clifton shot the gun off in the house in the dark, almost shooting someone... I was mad young when I saw it that shit scared the fuck out of me.

I know, Clifton Davis.

Right, as did Jester Hairston, the older gent in the foreground on the left.
    Oh, I didn't even see him there. I thought he was hilarious on that show.

I waiting for that season to drop on dvd. They've been slow to drop that shit. Then the marathon shows the penny season(all this past wkend). Makes me say "hmmmmmmmmmm..."?

Excellent point. That as well as Diff'rent Strokes, the Jeffersons and What's Happening are also in the same boat. Thank goodness the whole six seasons of Sanford and Son has been released.

Theyve all dropped pretty much within 5 to 8 months of each other...........then nothin'. I chalked up the good times scenario to Janet Jackson's presence.

I figured that season of Good Times hasn't made it to DVD because a lot of people (NOT ME) think the show "jumped the shark" and went downhill after James died.

Okay, it wasn't quite as strong as it was during the James years, but the show still had some life left in it.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i'll always remember the painting that was always on the show, wasn't it the cover of marvin gaye's "i want you"?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    i'll always remember the painting that was always on the show, wasn't it the cover of marvin gaye's "i want you"?

Ernie Barnes.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    weren't all JJ's paintings by him...or at least in that style?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    weren't all JJ's paintings by him...or at least in that style?

"In 1974, Arnold also introduced Barnes to renowned television producer Norman Lear, who subsequently commissioned Barnes to paint a series of original pieces for his new television CBS sitcom, "Good Times," loosely modeled the "JJ" character on the artist's life and work[/b]. He featured what would become Barnes' most famous work, "Sugar Shack," in the show's opening credits for four years. "Sugar Shack" was also used as cover art for the Marvin Gaye album "I Want You."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I figured that season of Good Times hasn't made it to DVD because a lot of people (NOT ME) think the show "jumped the shark" and went downhill after James died.

yes, in a sense, but (despite all the attention grabbing from JJ) it also became a show about women having to do it alone and for each other which provided an even more honest and profound perspective into poverty.

yes, in a sense, but (despite all the attention grabbing from JJ) it also became a show about women having to do it alone and for each other which provided an even more honest and profound perspective into poverty.

All props to Willona (Janet DuBois) - she kept that show going when Florida stepped out for a season (with a fiance she didn't return with).

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I watched the marathon all week long. It was very nostalgic to see a show that was a MAJOR part of my growing up. No doubt, my favorite "section" of the show was the James Evans, Sr. era. The show just wasn't the same after John Amos left the show. But, I had forgotten how big of crushes I had on Thelma and Wilona (I love that tennis skirt scene of Wilona during the opening credits of Season 3 or 4? DAMN those legs were lovely!!!!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

(I love that tennis skirt scene of Wilona during the opening credits of Season 3 or 4? DAMN those legs were lovely!!!!).

Janet Du'Bois was ILL back in the day.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

ERNIE BARNES IS MY FAVORITE ARTIST![/b] He's definately the most influential Black painter of the past 30 years. There are people who don't know the difference between Picasso or Van Gogh, but show 'em the "Sugar Shack", and they know Ernie Barnes. At least his style

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Ernie Barnes.

found a framed copy of that photo at a local goodwill a few months back, the only difference is something else is painted in the banner with the Marvin Gaye info.

problem is my space is so fucking cramped I got no where to hang it up.

Been lying on my floor since early june

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

ERNIE BARNES IS MY FAVORITE ARTIST![/b] He's definately the most influential Black painter of the past 30 years.
    ???

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

ERNIE BARNES IS MY FAVORITE ARTIST![/b] He's definately the most influential Black painter of the past 30 years.
    ???

Naw I would put Barnes ahead of Basquiat.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

???

now that I think about it, it really is apples & oranges

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Pretty much, but at the same time I've been over so many people's houses that had either Ernie Barnes art on the wall, or fake out Ernie Barnes.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    fake out Ernie Barnes.

shit evolved into Swap Meet chic down here in LA

???

If Basquiat would have lived longer, maybe. Although critically acclaimed, and leading the avant garde 80's movement, Basquiat's style was never copied the way Barnes mannerist style. You want proof, go to any website or gallery that features Black art. It's almost criminal the way Ernie Barnes style is copied. You don't see that with Basquiat.

He's definately the most influential Black painter of the past 30 years.

I dont want to turn this into a Painting thread, but Barnes is NOT the most influential "Black" painter since 1975. Basquiat is.

???

i know he's not so underground any longer, but michael ray charles is pretty dope.

???

If Basquiat would have lived longer, maybe. Although critically acclaimed, and leading the avant garde 80's movement, Basquiat's style was never copied the way Barnes mannerist style. You want proof, go to any website or gallery that features Black art. It's almost criminal the way Ernie Barnes style is copied. You don't see that with Basquiat.

Go to any Art School across the country and Basquiat style is aped by mad students. Ernie Barnes' style doesnt leave the ghetto.Basquiat is Global.

BATMON BFA.'91

I dont want to turn this into a Painting thread

And neither do I, so I'll just say this:

"Together we stand

Divided we fall

We're tighter than panty hose

two sizes small!

J.J., Papo, Cool Breeze, Head -

We're the AWESOME!

FOURSOME!

UNTIL WE ARE DEAD!"

This was the chant uttered by J.J. and his hang partners (later amended to the Gleesome Threesome after Cool Breeze dropped out).

Bookman, a/k/a Buffalo Butt (the building superintendent played by Johnny Brown), was on the money as well.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

definately the most influential Black painter of the past 30 years.

Naw man Donald J. White aka "Dondi" owns both these dudes.

Go to any Art School across the country and Basquiat style is aped by mad students. Ernie Barnes' style doesnt leave the ghetto.Basquiat is Global.

BATMON BFA.'91

If your case is strictly academic, Ernie Barnes isn't taught in most art schools outside of HBCU's. The one week you get on African American art probably consists of Romare Bearden, Jacob Lawrence. MABYE! Most Fine Art curriculums don't group him w/Black artists but instead avant garde artist like Warhol.

BATMON BFA.'91

If your case is strictly academic, Ernie Barnes isn't taught in most art schools outside of HBCU's. The one week you get on African American art probably consists of Romare Bearden, Jacob Lawrence. MABYE! Most Fine Art curriculum don't group him w/Black artists but instead avant garde artist like Warhol.

Basquiat is included w/ Warhol(POP), w/ African American, w/ New York 80's artworld,w/ Neo-Expressionism, w/ High/Low Fusion, W/Graffitti, and w/text based work. OH yeah his one man retrospective just left nyc and is in LA now.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    JUST GREAT!!...a Good Times appreciation thread but no appreciation in the Soul Train thread