Good Times TV Show !!!

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
TVLand was having a marathon last night. I forgot that Kim(Tootie)Fields and Gary Coleman made appearences during the Janet(Penny)Jackson era. I love that show. Any cats out there have fond or haterade memories of the show.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This was one of my favourites growing up. We recently rented the first two seasons and DVD and they still blew me away.

It's too bad they watered down Michael's politcs as the seasons progressed.

I liked how Thelma always had records lying around in her room. And her outfits were amazing.

SPOILER - I will never forget the episode when the dad dies and Florida smashes the bowl on the ground.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    SPOILER - I will never forget the episode when the dad dies and Florida smashes the bowl on the ground.

since the marathon is now over, may as well mention the CRUCIAL part that ms. bass forgot:
    "DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!"

since the marathon is now over, may as well mention the CRUCIAL part that ms. bass forgot:
    "DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!"

hmm - i did forget that! the bowl breaking made way more of an impact.

oh yea - i also remember the fridge full of ham.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I liked how Thelma always had records lying around in her room.

I own both all 3 DVD seasons. There two scenes where Thelma dances to Mandrill.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I remember the episode where J.J's girlfriend was a heroin addict. Very sad episode.

I remember the episode where J.J's girlfriend was a heroin addict. Very sad episode.

That's Debbie Allen.

Right. A very young and attractive Debbie Allen, I might add.

There's been mad 70/80 actors on the show...............Philip Micheal Thomas as Thelma's older boyfriend.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Good Times will always hold a special place in my heart cause its creator was one of the main reasons I jumped into the media industry. Eric Monte[/b] along with Norman lear helped to create a show that was designed to highlight the tough times of inner city project living and give a voice to a group of people that hardly ever got heard. The hiring of John Amos alongside Esther Rolle gave set the show off as something that was supposed to show the pride and beauty of holding a family together through such a tough time. Unfortunatly both studio execs and the American public showed tremendous love to the JJ character and soon ruined what was a beautiful idea of finding humor in the toughest of situations.

John Amos left the show after 2 seasons and Eric Monte left around the same time to work on his feature debut "Cooley High" and its subsiquent TV spinoff "Whats HAppening".

I still got a whole lotta love for the show and think it broke barriers in allowing white middle America get a glimpse of how a not so typical TV family got down.

I like the Whole Norman Lear connection. Florida Evens worked for MAUDE who was Archie Bunkers cousin. The Jeffersons--former neighbors of A.Bunker. SUPER spinoff shit.

Wasn't Norman Lear one half of Norbud productions, the tandem responsible for creating Sanford and Son? Guzzo, you made some good points. America's fascination with a jive-talking J.J pretty much derailed the original intent of the show. BTW, did y'all know that John Amos was only a couple of years older than Jimmie Walker. Batmon, those Norman Lear shows were/are BOMB.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It's too bad they watered down Michael's politcs as the seasons progressed.

After James died, he was more of a legit "man of the house" than J.J. was.

I liked how Thelma always had records lying around in her room.

And promo pix of soul stars on her wall! The only one that comes to mind is Junior Walker, mainly because his hitmaking days would have been over by the time Good Times premiered.

And her outfits were amazing.

Tight sweaters for days!!!

Remember the first episode from the final season? Florida returns to the show after sitting out an entire season. Willona, the neighbor lady, had been watching over these near-grown kids during Florida's absence. Willona likened watching over the Evans clan to babysitting the Sex Pistols. Jimmie Walker enters the room: "And here's Johnny Rotten now!"

Fat ass for days!!!

Fat ass for days!!!

Remember the video where they have most of the characters appear. What's the Hip hop group's name that did that? Damn its on the tip of my.........

Fat ass for days!!!

Remember the video where they have most of the characters appear. What's the Hip hop group's name that did that? Damn its on the tip of my.........

That's Camp-Lo and that's a dope video/song.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

That was Camp Lo "Black Nostaljack"

Damn beat me to it!

Damn beat me to it!
    I forgot the name of the song though, so give yourself some credit!!

What about the video (maybe positive k) w/ thelma in it. Maybe "night shift"?

Don't know about that one but I know she made an appearance on an episode of What's Happening Now. She played Dwayne's girlfriend on that one.

the Janet Jackson/Penny story was intense - remember the iron-shaped burn mark on her back? uhg.

the Janet Jackson/Penny story was intense - remember the iron-shaped burn mark on her back? uhg.
    Watching that episode made me want to whip her mom's ass. That shit was moving.

I remember hearing somewhere that she didn't want to do Good Times. Papa Joe set it up when the Jackson 5 cartoon was going strong and they were doing Las Vegas shows. It was his way of getting the whole family into entertainment.

To this day I still shiver when i see/think of that image. I waiting for that season to drop on dvd. They've been slow to drop that shit. Then the marathon shows the penny season(all this past wkend). Makes me say "hmmmmmmmmmm..."?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Anyone ever used to watch "That's My Mama?"

• Anyone ever used to watch "That's My Mama?"

That barber wrote 'Never Can Say Goodbye'....

Hells yeah. Clifton Davis.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

That barber wrote 'Never Can Say Goodbye'....

I know, Clifton Davis.

I waiting for that season to drop on dvd. They've been slow to drop that shit. Then the marathon shows the penny season(all this past wkend). Makes me say "hmmmmmmmmmm..."?
    Excellent point. That as well as Diff'rent Strokes, the Jeffersons and What's Happening are also in the same boat. Thank goodness the whole six seasons of Sanford and Son has been released.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That shit was like my favorite show back in the day, even more than Good Times. Fucking Junior with his...

OOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Ted Lange on the post Wattstax, pre Love Boat tip was killing it.