Dilla Day (What Are Your Plans?)

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Dilla Day? what about Dj Day?

Photobucket

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

i want a copy of this mixtape plaese

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The other day I was DJing at a spot and finished doing a lil 30 minute thing im kinda thirsty so my homie goes up to give me a break. I sit down next to this kid at the bar and he says he likes what I was playing and asked if I would play some Dilla, he goes on to say that he listened to ???Dounuts??? for like a year straight, and that he gets offended when people ???who act like they know about hip-hop??? don???t know who Dilla is. I told him that I had just played the new Q-Tip jawn and that Dilla had produced it. He was like oh cool, who???s Q-Tip? I then had to explain who ATCQ, the Ummah and the Native Tounges were???. He then asked if I could play some ???Blue Scholars???

I then contemplated suicide.

Wow.

Did you imagine this in your head?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The other day I was DJing at a spot and finished doing a lil 30 minute thing im kinda thirsty so my homie goes up to give me a break. I sit down next to this kid at the bar and he says he likes what I was playing and asked if I would play some Dilla, he goes on to say that he listened to ???Dounuts??? for like a year straight, and that he gets offended when people ???who act like they know about hip-hop??? don???t know who Dilla is. I told him that I had just played the new Q-Tip jawn and that Dilla had produced it. He was like oh cool, who???s Q-Tip? I then had to explain who ATCQ, the Ummah and the Native Tounges were???. He then asked if I could play some ???Blue Scholars???

I then contemplated suicide.

I swear these kinds of stories push me farther and farther away from hip hop and any kind of hip hop related event, club, etc..., unless people are over 23 or so.

• No plans but I'll play some of his music like I do on a lot of other days. I'm glad people are obsessed with him regardless of what they know about his career or hip hop. Hopefully his kids can somehow reap some of the rewards.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Wow... well I would have liked to go to a party and just chill and listen to some of his music. I dont know if a party like that is happening in Philly.

• i thought dre day was the 18th, shitty it's on the 14th this year, our dj night is the 14th so i won't be able to make it

• Would seem like there has to be something goin on in Philly along those lines. Seattle, not so much

• i'm making a beat that day.

• This is turning into the fuscking twilightzone of soulstrut. Has JayDee now become pass??? its like.. "Oh... you want to celebrate the man's catalog? pffffff... Thats so 2006." So what if people likeded his shit that didn't really KNOW about him in the tribe/busta days. So what if people want to remember his death as a sad event. and I hope more people put out a nice little mix CD of his beats. Like Jake 1 said.. I hope his family makes some loot for all those medical bills that those labels ain't payin

• Yeah I don't have any plans, I wish they would let dude rest in peace already or at least give the mans family his money.. PAY JAY PEOPLE

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    nothing[/b]. Even though I'll always be huge Jay Dee fan, I refuse to feed into the corny bandwagon jumping that has become the mans passing.

I'm blown away at how zealous certain people are about him all the while knowing that most of them ignored him in the past 10+ years he was making music for known artists on major labels. It's not he was relegated to regional/private press status.

Feel you on this 100%.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    give the mans family his money.. PAY JAY PEOPLE

This too.

Hopefully everyone read this

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2009/01/the-battle-for-j-dilla-s-legacy

• i want a copy of this mixtape plaese

here you go.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So what if people likeded his shit that didn't really KNOW about him in the tribe/busta days.

Well, for my part, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm on about the people who clowned him then, but who went on to jock him later, when his focus appeared to have switched to a more acceptable (to them) indie hip-hop ethos. The people who chorused about what a wack, sell-out, jiggy-ass record "Vivrant Thing" was, and how it wasn't a surprise that "the man who ruined Tribe" should be involved in that. The people who wasted no time in saying they thought The Love Movement blew, but who never noticed that the DNA of that whole neo-soul sound lay in a handful of tunes from that record. "Those dudes are just biting Dilla's whole style - that's wack". Yeah, they're biting a style he developed on a record that you all listened to just long enough to say it sucked. Like I said, you weren't paying attention.

I still have a copy of the letter I wrote to him at his home address in Detroit in 1997, when I was doing a&r for an independent publisher in the UK and was trying to interest him in a deal (not realising he'd already done a deal with one of the majors). I may have been a fan from the jump, but I'm not mad at those kids too young to have been aware of Dilla twelve years ago. But again, I'd bet that, amongst many of the people who ceaselessly champion the dude now, there are a lot of people who didn't have a good word for him when he was on the come-up. I could be wrong about that, but if I turned out to be right, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

• So what if people likeded his shit that didn't really KNOW about him in the tribe/busta days.

Well, for my part, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm on about the people who clowned him then, but who went on to jock him later, when his focus appeared to have switched to a more acceptable (to them) indie hip-hop ethos. The people who chorused about what a wack, sell-out, jiggy-ass record "Vivrant Thing" was, and how it wasn't a surprise that "the man who ruined Tribe" should be involved in that. The people who wasted no time in saying they thought The Love Movement blew, but who never noticed that the DNA of that whole neo-soul sound lay in a handful of tunes from that record. "Those dudes are just biting Dilla's whole style - that's wack". Yeah, they're biting a style he developed on a record that you all listened to just long enough to say it sucked. Like I said, you weren't paying attention.

I still have a copy of the letter I wrote to him at his home address in Detroit in 1997, when I was doing a&r for an independent publisher in the UK and was trying to interest him in a deal (not realising he'd already done a deal with one of the majors). I may have been a fan from the jump, but I'm not mad at those kids too young to have been aware of Dilla twelve years ago. But again, I'd bet that, amongst many of the people who ceaselessly champion the dude now, there are a lot of people who didn't have a good word for him when he was on the come-up. I could be wrong about that, but if I turned out to be right, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

You're one of my favorite posters.

• JuliusJulius 143 Posts

Our tribute ...

Louis Van de leest Jr. aka LuiGi from Infinitskills (drums), Louis Van de Leest Sr. (violin), Hendrik Vanattenhoven (double bass) & Pierre Anckaert (fender rhodes) aka the Louie Gee Ensemble present a bossa-jazz version of Rene Costy's Scrabble used by J Dilla for "F*ck the Police"... read more and listen

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Wow... well I would have liked to go to a party and just chill and listen to some of his music. I dont know if a party like that is happening in Philly.

Last year Houseshoes came out and did a party at Fluid. I don't see anything in Philly on the official StonesThrow list this year, but I'll keep you posted if I hear something. Might try to hit the one with Wajeed in BK this weekend.

And for what it's worth, ?uest did an impromptu tribute set at Tastytreats last Saturday.

Might be toward the end of Part 1 on this podcast: http://www.flygirrl.podomatic.com/

• Has JayDee now become pass???

i don???t think anyone is saying that mang, personally, i was just relaying a kind of ironic story that i was reminded of after seeing this thread, just seems odd cat would ride so hard for the later Dilla stuff (which is great) but be completely unaware of his past creative legacy that really wasn???t even that long ago. for the record, this lil dude always really enjoyed ???the love movement??? and ???amplified??? stuff as well???

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Laugh out loud at salty dudes. OMG, I was a dilla fan before you. Sounds as bad as the concept of dilla day. 2 sides of the same coin.

1998 called. They want to know who's more hip-hop.

Serious. I don't even play with Ninja Turtle ANYMORE. Now that all these younger kids play with them I just throw shit at the wall.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How the hell was Dilla's early sound under the radar?

What is the turning point where he became dick-rided by the doofi?

J A Y L I B

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    At his point I'm as over the Dilla Fanboy hate as I am the Dilla Fanboys. I admit I didn't know who the dude was until a couple years ago. But, I've been digging his work for 14 years and just not putting a name to it.

I bought Slum Village Fantastic 1 & 2 when they came out. I bought Vivrant thing when it came out and still played it on New Years Eve. Dynamite was the only song I liked on Things Fall Apart. His production list with Pharcyde, De La Soul, ATCQ, etc reads like a list of my favortie songs from the 90s. I just never put it all together. My musical track at that time was independent of the scene or anything my friends were into, so I wasn't smart enough to follow the production.

That being said, I don't name drop him or wear T-Shirts. But I sure as hell am not going to discredit him because he's Passe in 2009.

Thanks to whoever posted the Illa J album. I've been digging that too.

• would any of those frank n dank albums fetch money on ebay?
    I might put up some of those for sale, since i never really cared much for them and maybe someone else would like them.

• What is the turning point where he became dick-rided by the doofi?

J A Y L I B

I'm not so sure.. I remember people hatted on Jaylib because of the subject matter. I think it sold pretty poorly on its initial release

I think it was Donuts combined with his death that made the core group of nutriders come out of the woodwork

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i bought the yancey boys instrumentals
    i dont ride or hate but sometimes i yell DILLA! when his tracks comeup on teh iPod

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

J A Y L I B

Slum Village Fantastic 1 & 2

J A Y L I B

Slum Village Fantastic 1 & 2

I think what happened with Jaylib is the combination of Madlib & Stones Throw Records. Those two elements brought on all the Stones Throw d*ck-riders as well as the Madlib fan-boy-groupies. IMO that's what really took it there but Donuts was the record that they really seem to have been the most attached to.

Bottom line is that I think everybody in this thread appreciates and respects Jay Dee's music but not the exxploitative bs going on around it. If these guys feel like doing "Dilla Day" then fine, go ahead, but make sure some or all of that money you're making goes to his mother and NOT to your pockets. Otherwise it becomes a bad look in my book.

• Our tribute ...

Louis Van de leest Jr. aka LuiGi from Infinitskills (drums), Louis Van de Leest Sr. (violin), Hendrik Vanattenhoven (double bass) & Pierre Anckaert (fender rhodes) aka the Louie Gee Ensemble present a bossa-jazz version of Rene Costy's Scrabble used by J Dilla for "F*ck the Police"... read more and listen

Thats great. Im still looking for this origonal if anyone has a spare.