Dilla Day (What Are Your Plans?)

RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Or is it too early too to start thinking about it?

Comments

• I'm more concerned with dre day than anything else right now

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Today was a good day

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dude... that was awesome.

• nothing[/b]. Even though I'll always be huge Jay Dee fan, I refuse to feed into the corny bandwagon jumping that has become the mans passing.

I'm blown away at how zealous certain people are about him all the while knowing that most of them ignored him in the past 10+ years he was making music for known artists on major labels. It's not he was relegated to regional/private press status.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    nothing[/b]. Even though I'll always be huge Jay Dee fan, I refuse to feed into the corny bandwagon jumping that has become the mans passing.

I'm blown away at how zealous certain people are about him all the while knowing that most of them ignored him in the past 10+ years he was making music for known artists on major labels. It's not he was relegated to regional/private press status.

Sayin'. Jay Dee was a very good producer of hip hop beats. He was NOT Martin Luther King. Dudes need to come back to reality.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I believe the one Faux Rillz will be donning khaki cargo shorts, new balance sneakers, and a smedium "Dilla Changed My Life" T-shirt. I know I will, even though it's f*cking cold out right now. We do it because we BELIEVE.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm truly fed up with all this exploitative crap that's been going on since his death. The worse part about it all is that some of his music has been unlistenable anymore for me because of these a-holes who've played him out.

PS: this groupie fan boy love for him by lil dudes who just got an MPC is what REALLY sickens me. I mean, just because you like someone's music doesn't mean you have to go and try to jack his whole style.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    smedium

I like this word.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    nothing[/b]. Even though I'll always be huge Jay Dee fan, I refuse to feed into the corny bandwagon jumping that has become the mans passing.

• Was he really that much of a life changer for some of you people? Whats so big about a sloppy unquantized beat with two snares slightly off from eachother, nothing. When is Buckwild's birthday? I'd toast to that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Well, this kinda proves my point, and that of Young Phonics, too, I suspect - when he was making regular, bangin'-ass hip-hop music with the likes of Tribe, Tip, Busta Rhymes, Pharcyde and Keith Murray, I'd take a bet that most of the people jocking him now weren't that interested, apart from bitching about how he "ruined" Tribe. Now they act like he's rap's Kurt Cobain just because he's dead. To which I say; he was always good - most of you just weren't paying attention.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Now they act like he's rap's Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain was the leader of a good rock band. He was NOT John F. Kennedy. Dudes need to come back to reality.

• What's crazy is that Kurt Cobain actually WAS John F. Kennedy.

Freemasons-related.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

HAHAHA!!!

• Options
    Bob Marley and Dennis Brown have birthdays this week (2/6 and 2/1), the Saturday morning WKCR reggae show used to have a tribute broadcast that I'd record great music off of. It was the only time I've ever "celebrated" an artists birthday, I used to look forward to that show every year. They have new hosts now, it's not the same. Actually now that I think of it, March 9th usually brings about some good mix shows on NYC radio for the day Biggie died, Mr. Cee is usually an automatic listen. While "Dilla Day" sounds kind of corny on the surface (reminds me of Pap Day), I'm sure some decent enough mixes would come out of it somewhere in the ether. But no, I have no plans for Dilla Day.

Illa J fans are pretty much the definition of Jay Dee groupie fan-boys who will probably hype anything that he might of touched or been associated with for that fact alone.

• Options
    HAHA oh man!! Quo

• The other day I was DJing at a spot and finished doing a lil 30 minute thing im kinda thirsty so my homie goes up to give me a break. I sit down next to this kid at the bar and he says he likes what I was playing and asked if I would play some Dilla, he goes on to say that he listened to ???Dounuts??? for like a year straight, and that he gets offended when people ???who act like they know about hip-hop??? don???t know who Dilla is. I told him that I had just played the new Q-Tip jawn and that Dilla had produced it. He was like oh cool, who???s Q-Tip? I then had to explain who ATCQ, the Ummah and the Native Tounges were???. He then asked if I could play some ???Blue Scholars???

I then contemplated suicide.

• nothing[/b]. Even though I'll always be huge Jay Dee fan, I refuse to feed into the corny bandwagon jumping that has become the mans passing.

always was a jay dee fan and that was for Delicious Vinyl and the P.R. company that is handling the campaign, plus I think it's a good look.

You would have a PWND on your hands if I was like "ZOMG! TURN IT UP!". Nice try.

• I'm more concerned with dre day than anything else right now

i thought dre day was the 18th, shitty it's on the 14th this year, our dj night is the 14th so i won't be able to make it

• Laugh out loud at salty dudes. OMG, I was a dilla fan before you. Sounds as bad as the concept of dilla day. 2 sides of the same coin.

1998 called. They want to know who's more hip-hop.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    always was a jay dee fan and that was for Delicious Vinyl and the P.R. company that is handling the campaign, plus I think it's a good look.

Sorry, I didn't catch that. I was staring at the Stones Throw Kool Aid residue in your mustache.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'll probably burn some incense and furiously trade text messages with the one Young Phonics.

• always was a jay dee fan and that was for Delicious Vinyl and the P.R. company that is handling the campaign, plus I think it's a good look.

Sorry, I didn't catch that. I was staring at the Stones Throw Kool Aid residue in your mustache.

how's my dick tasting today ?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Dillalicious!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    this thread got good.

• not really, just another episode of Paul playing me hella close.