the DEEPEST deep soul cut you know?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    James K. Nine, "Counting Teardrops"

with "Live it Up" on the other side, is there a better
    ballad/funk instro 2-sided single out there??

Also, Johnny Copeland "It's My Own Tears That's Wasted"

and

Johnny Adams, "Lonely Man"

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    more suicidal soul:

Howard Tate I LEARNED IT ALL THE HARD WAY

"Sometime i wake up in the midnight hour, and my pillow be so wet with tears thinkin about my baby, babybaby babybabybayb babyabybaby"

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

can someone please post the mp3?

• some good tunes listed, love that virgil griffin, that sir shambling site is where it's at, that guy has all the great tunes, here's one of my favorites

cc carlson - i don't want to sit down

• Eddie Holman - I Love You is probably my favorite soul song of all time (I roll with no less than 3 copies of the LP), but I don't really see it as being a "deep soul" track -- am I ?

• a couple of other favorites, got a couple more i'll post tomorrow

jules & the dynamics - i've been a long way from home

david dee - this would mean so much

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    One of my faves, out of Miami. Just listen to the lyrics. MAN.

Definitely, definitely need to pick that up. Thanks.

Also available in the much cheaper Diamonettes version (same backing track, less impactful vocals, on Alston).

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Etta James - "Feeling Uneasy"
    One of the first records I ever bought, and still today, one of my favorite songs ever. This song f??cked with me pretty seriously the first few thousand times I listened to it. Years later I read, in the Etta box set, her comments about the song in the liner notes:

It was my first day out of rebab, and I was wasted. Garbiel [Mekler] and Trevor [Lawrence] had written the music for me, thinking I'd come up with the story. But when I got to the studio I wasn't in the mood to write lyrics. I was sick as a dog. Trevor played the changes for me on the piano. I heard the music, the music was moving me, but all I could do was moan. 'Fine,' he said, 'keep moaning,' and at the end of my moans I just sort of sang out, 'I'm feeling uneasy,' which was the absolute truth...

For anyone whose gone through delirium tremens, shitting your guts out, shakes and sweats, this song should unhinge you like the absolute truth. I suppose, with it's vagueness, it could be applied to just about anything, but I've never really thought of it any other way. On this track Etta does more with 3 words than most other singers do on an entire record.

Clifford Coulter - "Do It, Again"
    Why Clifford didn't sing on every one of his songs is a mystery. His voice is so incredible. The amount of pain he can carry, is, depending on my day-to-day vulnerability, damn near unbearable. This song, seeking an uncertain vengeance on his former love, is as endearing as it is maddening as it is the absolute truth about these kind of situations. That is to say, you want to kill that bitch, but you usually end up drinking yourself to sleep.

And his lyrics are, frankly, f??cking pure genius:

If I could do what I please
    It'd please me just to see you dressed in sorrow

I dare anyone to offer a better opening couplet.

And it's not even three lines later when the uncertainty and despair creep in:

But what if all my thoughts should turn real
    Would I change my mind, help you up so you could hurt me again?
    Ooh wee, I never should have let you begin
    If I ever get this chance once mo' 'gain
    Oh, but knowin' me I'm such a fool, I'd probably do it again

(When the horns come in, I'm finished.)

Anyone have a guess as to what Clifford says in second verse:

"...Try to get this ___________ from my heart, just before it spreads to my soul."

Verse three is usually where I stop whatever I'm doing when this song is on and just sort of stare in the direction of the music. That sad trumpet solo. All quivery and sparse. F??ck me, seriously. It's deadly.

If I could find some way to go back in time
    The things you done to me might never happen
    Ooh, I'd make good use of my time
    Set my traps and watch you fall and not be laughing (I know I would)
    But the door to the past has no key
    If it did I would use it
    And to show you how it feels to be me
    I would make you be the fool I have been
    If I ever get this chance one mo' 'gain
    Oh, but knowin' me I'm such a fool
    I'd probably do it again

The track open with Clifford wanting her to wear all the sorrow in the world, and by the end he is begging her to come back. What a song.

SoulOnIce made a Coulter Appreciation Post some time ago that I've been meaning to fill with thousands of words on "Before The Morning Comes." I haven't had the time, but I will say I've been trying to get Judith & Holofernes to adapt a fado cover of "Before the Morning Comes" for a few years. With any luck they will, and, hopefully, dj neta's mom will make a video for it that is equally as haunting as her last:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Bambouche: I can't speak for the rest of the album - and I'm not going out of my way to find it - but I will say that "Do It, Again" is better than I remembered it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Now here's some REAL tortured soul - Peggy Scott-Adams' "Bill." Yeah, I said it!!!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Some gorgeous songs in here - never heard that Lyn Williams before and it's a melter.

First one that sprang to mind was this Joe Graves number that I first heard when a poster, I think it was A-Ko, posted it on here:

Joe Graves - It's Got To Be For Real

And surprised noone's mentioned this yet considering the number of times Moses pops up on the board:

Lee Moses - What You Don't Want Me To Be

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    First thing I thought of:

Wendy Rene 'After Laughter Comes Tears'

Nice to know I wasn't just pissing down a well with that Coulter thread.

• billy frazier - let one hurt do

little joe & his soul brothers - here comes the night

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Eddie Holman - I Love You is probably my favorite soul song of all time (I roll with no less than 3 copies of the LP), but I don't really see it as being a "deep soul" track -- am I ?

I know what you mean...and to not speak for James, but Holman's singing certainly sounds like it's coming from somewhere deep inside his soul to me.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Howard Tate - Get It While You Can (Verve 45)

• Not the deepest but one of the heaviest (and now we can spend 5 pages arguing over the differences b/t deep and heavy):

Dee Dee Warwick: Foolish Fool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJIg4BKtegQ

i have the cynthia richards reggae version which is pretty nice.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i am telling you. the places her voice goes in this song.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Waaaay too many monsters dropped in here. This is my personal deep tune. Probably a better time to debut it than 12am on a Saturday night, but maybe thats actually the perfect time:

The Rockmasters, "Raining Teardrops"

• Howard Tate - Get It While You Can (Verve 45)

The deepest.

• LEE HARRIS on Forte

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Michael Bolton. For my money I don't know if it gets any better than when he sings 'When A Man Loves A Woman'.

• gino washington - what can a man do

always loved this song, it's not the deepest cut but the lyrics sure fit the category

• Frank Turner & the Silver Stars "All For My Kids"

I work so hard
    Tryin' to do what's right
    Sometimes I wonder why
    I come draggin' in late
    Every night
    So tired I could cry
    So tired I could cry

Before the Sandman
    Close my eyelids
    I feel good because it's all for the kids
    All for the kids

I get my pay
    It don't take long
    There's the rent, gas bill and phone
    I can't ever save a cent
    I have nothing of my own
    I have nothing of my own

So I guess I done my very best
    Though my achin' body
    Sure needs rest
    Before the Great Man
    Makes his bid
    I feel good because it's all for the kids
    All for the kids

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    COSIGN. That Frank Turner is great. Reminds me a bit of William Bell's "I Forgot To Be Your Lover."

BTW: how is it that no one's mentioned "Love's Gonna Pack Up" yet? So necessary.

Am I the only person in the world (or on Soul Strut) that
    thinks the Persuaders version of that song is 10 times better??

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I like both versions but I like how lo-fi the Sly, Slick and Wicked's version is. Plus, I gotta rep L.A. on this one.

I just think the vocals on the Persuaders are that much stronger.

And the lo-fi of the S,S & W does nothing for me. I like it, but I
    ended up selling my copy, satisfied that the Persuaders was all I need.