the DEEPEST deep soul cut you know?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Turning Point" - Jimmy Holiday

he pronounces "burnt" as "boint," rhymes it with "turning point," and STILL manages to pull the old heartstrings...a soul purist friend of mine confided that he couldn't abide by the string section, but damn, that's a major part of what makes this song so great. Check it out:

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Damn Soulhawk, I think I need to step outside after that one.

That Ethio vid is fantastic. Reminds me of that Turkish crooner from the same era whose trademark was crying during all of his concerts.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

3. Van Dykes - No Man Is An Island (Bell LP track)

YES!!! can't get enough of this track ever.

• 3. Van Dykes - No Man Is An Island (Bell LP track)

YES!!! can't get enough of this track ever.

I had a guy write me about a month ago looking for a Curtis Mayfield track called 'No Man Is an Island'. I explained that what he was probably looking for was the Van Dykes, and sent him a link. He still wasn't convinced.

edit: on the Reuben Bell Its Not That Easy. Get to know that one.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    here's my fave:

"since the day she left, I haven't been the same, what I did to her, I feel so ashamed..."

Cot'damn....this is dope too.

I just got a great Van Dykes cheapie: What Will I Do

"so necessary" as they say

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    we can't forget about this dude either...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I can't find any audio, but the first thing that came to mind was Lee Jones's "This Heart Is Haunted." "I awoke to find myself alone / And my love was just a superstition..." I can't even talk about it, really.

Also up there is Eddie Holman's terrifying "I Love You." He's reaching as deep as he can, and--having emptied his heart long ago--is left scraping the bottom of the world, grasping for something, anything. And finding nothing. Absolutely nothing. "I love you / You're all that I know." It's simple, but fathomless. The falsetto on the fade is the last train leaving.

Also up there is Eddie Holman's terrifying "I Love You." He's reaching as deep as he can, and--having emptied his heart long ago--is left scraping the bottom of the world, grasping for something, anything. And finding nothing. Absolutely nothing. "I love you / You're all that I know." It's simple, but fathomless. The falsetto on the fade is the last train leaving.

I was just about to list that! It's on an old mix I made that I got going at work....Four Walls by him, too.

I'd like to add

Children Don't Get Weary - Judy Clay
    Here I Go Again - Ruby Johnson
    I've Been Loving You Too Long - Ike and Tina
    Tears From My Eyes - Jackie Opel
    Please Hurt Me - Little Eva

what's cda? I could try to link it but how do I transfer a cd cut into zshare???

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    The Falcons - I Found a Love

I like the sub category of really Pathetic Soul, where the singer is crying or the songs have crying in the title.

Ralfi Pagan - Come Back Baby is a great one.
    The Mumy - Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Violinaires - Nobody Knows

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    what's cda? I could try to link it but how do I transfer a cd cut into zshare???

You'll have to rip to mp3 first

um...cough....if I had to explain to someone how to do that, what would you suggest I say exactly?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Hmmm, I think you'll have to call Folkways and get them to make a field recording next to your computer speakers! Can't see any other way!

lol now that I can understand!

• Got unlazy and recorded one:

Geater Davis - I Can Hold My Own

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Got unlazy and recorded one:

That was aimed at YOU bassie!

so funny. i'm not lazy! just ill-equipped.
    just you wait when I get that machine that helps to put record songs on that other machine that makes it so you can post boo hoo I'm so sad songs on record egghead sites.
    just.
    you.
    wait.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    A couple of mixes from the archives...Lots of killers, but the Eldridge Holmes, Little Buster, Rubaiyats nd Laura Lee are standouts..

Funky16Corners Radio v.18 - Blues, Tears and Sorrows

Example

The Great O.V. Wright/p

Funky16Corners Radio v.50 - These Arms of Mine

Example

thanks for the share

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    One of my faves, out of Miami. Just listen to the lyrics. MAN.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

i assume you folks are fans of these? i learned so much great stuff from them...

I have not heard any of those compilations, I think I'll be on the lookout now though.

• One of my faves, out of Miami. Just listen to the lyrics. MAN.

Definitely, definitely need to pick that up. Thanks.

• Great Songs.
    Thinking about drinking myself into oblivion to this thread

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    "Ooh Baby Baby" is one of the best. I like The Fuzz' version on their only Calla LP, which is on par with the Miracles'

"Dead" sung by either of Lydia Pense or that other lady's whose name I cannot recall, is pretty f*cked up.

why does it all have to be so complicated?

and here are the Eddie Holman songs

I Love You