Ras Kass or Jeru?

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Whose pseudo-intellectual super-science holds up better in your mind garden?Jeru took it over the top by kicking metaphysical ass in You Can't Stop The Prophet.Ras Kass dropped Harvey-esque historical revisionism in The Nature of The Threat. I'm partial to the production on Rises in the East, but personally, I think Ras Kass sounds a bit less like ridiculous with his knowledgewisdom.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• Jeru on 1st LP production merits.

Ras Kass is a waaaaaaaaaay better rapper, though.

• I'll take Rass Kass if we are just talking raps, but Jeru if we are talking records. Primo was .

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    It's too perverted, you heard it, so now you get murdered
    Test the sound system, it throws off your equilibrium
    Deep concentration can't fracture the meditation
    Competition is flipped on at random
    Deviant monks attack the mic is mental pandemonium
    And then some, you go for your hand gun
    Psychokinetic forces proceed to smash in your cerebellum
    Phonetian with more stamina than a Christian
    my mind, C3 H5 N3 O9 like Nitroglycerine
    I bust as Afu Ra crush
    Clash with us and meet Cerebus

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I definitely bumped ras kass way more.

Bitch I hear your car keys jangling...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I bust as Afu Ra crush

Yep. Definitely Ras Kass.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I bust as Afu Ra crush

Yep. Definitely Ras Kass.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I think it's been decided. Ras Kass on the raps, and Primo on the production. And Jeru for saying weird shit to your girlfriend at his shows.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'll take Rass Kass if we are just talking raps, but Jeru if we are talking records. Primo was .

Yes. Ras Kass rhymes over Jeru instrumentals!

• I think it's been decided. Ras Kass on the raps, and Primo on the production. And Jeru for saying weird shit to your girlfriend at his shows.

yep, happened to me, too!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I think it's been decided. Ras Kass on the raps, and Primo on the production. And Jeru for saying weird shit to your girlfriend at his shows.

"You make my perverted monk rise in my pants. Wanna go to the metaphysical library and battle ignorance with me?"

• I don't think dude said much of anything,
    he just came up to my girl and beamed creepily.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

"You make my perverted monk rise in my pants. Wanna go to the metaphysical library and battle ignorance with me?"

"but only if you're not a vampiress who'll give this black man stress. And forget what I said on that record, your hooka-type wears are killin' it tonight."

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    "I love f*cking white girls like you because your pink skin looks so good against my black dick."

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    a couple years back i was working a bar in Amsterdam and i look out the window to see this guy spin kicking his way up the alley... i head outside to kindly tell the gentleman to F*ck off and turns out it is Afu Ra who had a show the next night. ended up chatting with him and he was cool, albeit a little eager to find the mushroom spot.

After i headed back to the bar i look out and see dude spin kicking his way up the road and round the corner.

weird dude.

spin kicking his way up the road

Nah, that's just a New York thing. Ensures that folks don't get too close on the sidewalk.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I'll take Rass Kass if we are just talking raps, but Jeru if we are talking records. Primo was .

Exactly my thoughts.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Ras Kass for the verbals, Jeru for the beats.

• the Jeru album is enjoyable and thoroughly listen-able still. The Ras Kass album is more of a "I want to like this" album. I think he just made some bad choices on the production and some of the songs just aren't that solid. I bought the Ras Kass the day it came out, but I don't think I've listened to the whole thing in it's entirety more than 5 times. The Jeru I have listened to many many times.

Ras Kass redeeming moments...

that weird skit about milkshakes and that even weirder song that fades out at the end of another track where it's some other dude rapping about walking down the street and all he can do is beat his meat.

that weird skit about milkshakes and that even weirder song that fades out at the end of another track where it's some other dude rapping about walking down the street and all he can do is beat his meat.

Also: off-key warbling of "Human Nature."

• who?

jk....Ras Kass has some heat....Jeru has a place in my heart cuz I moved to Brooklyn when his 1st dropped. But, I'll give it to Ras...(his 1st 12" is flame! and is colored vinyl) oh, and his verse on comewiddit was sick

• Ras Kass is a waaaaaaaaaay better rapper, though.

obviously. DB Cooper, no offense but no one who has really listened to these two guys would ever compare them in a serious way. their respective rapp styles/content have nothing to do with each other.

• ras' verses on E = MC5, Come Widdit and Get Up Get Down >>>> anything Jeru ever spit.

Ras Kass is a waaaaaaaaaay better rapper, though.

obviously. DB Cooper, no offense but no one who has really listened to these two guys would ever compare them in a serious way. their respective rapp styles/content have nothing to do with each other.

Haha! It really wasn't meant to be too serious. Pretty much all they have in common is trying at times to come with the wisdomknowledge, which sounds pretty dated and often ridiculous these days. But then, I don't take the whole idea of arguing the respective merits of one artist vs. another seriously anyways. In my opinion, it's like arguing the merits of carrots vs. celery.

However, I do know that some folks take this shit to be deadly serious. I'm not naming any names, though.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    ras kass fosho.

• carrots

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Whose pseudo-intellectual super-science holds up better in your mind garden?

Jeru took it over the top by kicking metaphysical ass in You Can't Stop The Prophet.

Ras Kass dropped Harvey-esque historical revisionism in The Nature of The Threat.

I'm partial to the production on Rises in the East, but personally, I think Ras Kass sounds a bit less like ridiculous with his knowledgewisdom.

My pick would be Ras Kass ryming over the instrumentals from Sun Rises In The East!

Lyrically both have a sharp edge and some intelligence, but end of the day its Ras Kass all the way.... dude is responsible for some of my favourite lines ever.... pity his production is always one step behind...
    Also I like how Ras Kass is considered a nerdy rapper cus he uses big words, but hes been locked up several times while all the ja Rules out there act like thugs and grew up as choir boys!

Jeru is a cool dude though, when he come down here last year he was heaps cool, walking around the crowd before and after the set, he is pretty funny on the mic, cracks jokes and engages the crowd... dudde could seriously be doing stand up...except hes heaps short too...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Also: off-key warbling of "Human Nature."

pity his production is always one step behind...

That's a good way of putting it. Most of the time, people make it seem as though Ras's beats are the worst things ever rapped over...I don't think they're that bad, they're just not very good, either.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I like when Ras Kass rapped over the Anita Baker beat.